What's a Chrokeese? (build thread) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What's a Chrokeese? (build thread)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #46
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting choice for the grease (I normally just use wheel bearing grease). What is rated it for temperature wise?

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #47
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's not a grease that should be used in bearings or other extreme high heat situations. Being a marine grease, it is designed for exposure to all sorts of water (even high pressure saltwater spray) and corrosive salt solutions--nice in Wisconsin winters. It stays stable, adherent, and waterproof in extremely COLD temps. The slip yoke is does not get hot but does get very cold in winters and is exposed to all sorts of nasty elements even despite the boot which is why this grease is such a great tool for that job. Drum brakes can heat up, but the grease seems to hold-up fine in the drums (they likely never get hot enough to damage the grease), and it's metal adherence and resilience in the face of all sorts of nast is why I use it there as well.

By the way: dabbing a little on the threads of the parking brake adjuster is also a good idea.

I've recently begun researching the possibility of using it in steering joints. Still not sure if it's a good idea or worthwhile or not.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #48
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know if dccontrol is still making fan controllers? Love their work but customer service and website are abysmal. I don't want to submit an order on paypal for something that may take more than paypal's 30 complaint window to arrive from someone who doesn't communicate much if they're not actually in the business anymore.

I emailed them, but the lack of reply tells me nothing as they're notorious for having little to no communication with customers. I wish I could spite them for their terrible service, but the product is just too damned perfect.

In other news, my 225 SAT's will be going onto my mom's Tracker and I'll be riding on these 215 Wildcats until winter when I'll swap them for 235 Firestone Winterforces. I'd have liked Nokian Hakkas, but they're too hard to get for a sane price in the states. The bang for buck on the Firestones is just too good. Small chance of some Michelin Xi2's, General Altimax Arctics, or a VERY slim chance of Blizzaks. Next spring I'll buy some 3-season tires for my other 5-set of wheels--probably General Grabber HTS.

Sent from my phone
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #49
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That sucks about your 96 country. I had my previous XJ taken from me by a bad driver, so I know that experience all too well.

The new 2-door looks very clean and a great find!

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #50
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I don't live near snow (yet) so I've got a question, why not an all season tire?
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #51
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
I don't live near snow (yet) so I've got a question, why not an all season tire?
Having driven in the snow with all-season tires I can say this:

All-season tires are tires that perform mediocre in all-seasons. They aren't really good at any one thing. In fact, I'm convinced that all-season tire designers believe there are only 3 seasons... summer, spring, and fall. Having all-terrains is a huge improvement over all-seasons in the snow, and winter tires such as the winterforce like mschi mentioned stick to the road like glue.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #52
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's really not even about snow, my interweb friend. Anytime temps are at 45 deg F or below, a winter tire is the better, safer choice.

Nothing compares to a true winter tire in winter conditions. "All season" is a misleading name. M+S rating is a complete farce. The mountain/snowflake symbol is even quite flawed and misleads consumers. I know of very few tires that I'd truly trust to handle all 4 seasons well: Nokian WRG3 (or other WR's), Duratracs, and maybe Hercules AT2 off the top of my head.

Having 2 sets of tires costs nothing extra in the long run other than he price I a cheap set of wheels to mount the winters on. You'll still be spending the same $ per mile on rubber as before since one set gets 0 miles while the other is in service, and swapping them can be done in fall/spring when you should be rotating tires during an oil change anyway.

Storage can be an issue for a small amount of people, and some people drive in 4 seasons but put so few miles on that tires will rot before their tread gets used up. If a tire has to be tossed due to rot when there's still treadlife left, that's wasted money IMO. In these cases, I'd advocate for a single set of Nokian WR or GY Duratracs or [whatever I'm not remembering right now].

Sent from my phone
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #53
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

ooohhh! yeah I dont get temps that low here except maybe a week maybe so I've never known anyone who used them. I love the in memoriam photo btw
- Build Thread -
Unread 07-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #54
fredrum
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Funny. I looked at that Jeep online a few weeks ago when the dealer had it listed as being a five speed. I was all set to drive down and check it out when I looked at the pictures one more time and realized it was an automatic. Nice to see it ended up in Racine.
fredrum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #55
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have cracks in my B-pillar. This has me thinking about frame stiffeners. Any advice? I can't weld, so I'll need to find someone to do the welding for me--I have a friend who somewhat recently finished schooling to be a welder, so maybe I'll enlist his help since I don't think he's found work yet anyway.

This thing was never wheeled yet the pillar is cracked this much? Should I stop driving it until this is fixed?

Unread 07-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #56
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
I have a crack in my B-pillar developing near the vent. This has me thinking about frame stiffeners. Any advice? I can't weld, so I'll need to find someone to do the welding for me--I have a friend who somewhat recently finished schooling to be a welder, so maybe I'll enlist his help since I don't think he's found work yet anyway.
HD offroad is the popular choice along with ruff stuff I believe
- Build Thread -
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #57
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've already decided to go with HD Offroad. While my friend can weld, I'm not exactly sure how to prep the frame rails--all the paint and factory undercoat still there and me without any kind of power tools beyond an ancient drill. I'm also wondering just how worried I should be about these cracks. Should I just get it to a shop asap to have all this dealt with?
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #58
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good question... And I've never seen that. Is it getting worse?
- Build Thread -
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #59
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
Good question... And I've never seen that. Is it getting worse?
I haven't had it long enough to know.

I've heard of it happening on XJ's but usually only from being wheeled. 2-doors are more vulnerable due to their weaker structure (1 less pillar) and a heavier door slamming the striker. Here is a pic from http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/fix...2-door-150327/ that I found during some research. Identical cracking.

Additional discussion of this problem found here http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/door...g-help-131648/

Unread 07-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #60
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd get it fixed then and then get hose stiffeners in soon. Looks like you're jeeps been used before haha
- Build Thread -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.