What's a Chrokeese? (build thread) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What's a Chrokeese? (build thread)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #31
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan
It would be nice but I doubt it will get much better than that. Ron
Had my 96 up to 18.5 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving and 22 mpg highway, so you can stop doubting. I wasn't even close to finished with my 96 yet either. The biggest gains were yet to be made (i.e. aeromodding, switch to 235 highway tires from 225 AT's, and more).

Sent from my phone

mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #32
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a VERY quick example of one of the possibilities for the Monstaliner paint job. I have a couple other ideas, but they'd require much more time to convey properly, so this is all you guys get for now.
97-mock.jpg

Unread 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #33
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

me likey
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #34
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

That combination of blue and grey looks very nice.
I like it.
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #35
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Disclaimer: the rendering's colors are obviously not meant to be a perfect match--it's more about conveying the pattern/idea. These are the likely two combo possibilities.

Unread 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #36
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

first combo in my opinion
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 07-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #37
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

+1 first combo, contrast FTW
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #38
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the first combo was my choice as well, but I figured I'd include the next darkest shade in case others disagreed with me.

Hmm, do I allow that gray to continue around the tailgate or stop it at the taillights (all blue on the tailgate; maybe paint the plastic piece above the lis plate gray)?
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #39
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
Yeah, the first combo was my choice as well, but I figured I'd include the next darkest shade in case others disagreed with me. Hmm, do I allow that gray to continue around the tailgate or stop it at the taillights (all blue on the tailgate; maybe paint the plastic piece above the lis plate gray)?
Definitely go around.
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #40
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Throttle body cleaned, Seafoamed the intake and fuel tank today. Had my fingers crossed that the neighbors wouldn't call the fire department--so much smoke. Throttle body and what I could see of the intake manifold was very dirty; previous owners were definitely "normal" people who never did this kind of stuff.

Hopefully I'll get brakes swapped from the 96 (had just put Black Magic pads with Centric rotors and Bendix shoes/drums on it) and the oil filter adapter O-ring changed this weekend.
Unread 07-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #41
Dezman121

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good build thread and look forward to more.
Dezman121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #42
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

clean xj !
Unread 07-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #43
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped brakes with the 96 today. Black Magic pads, Centric rotors, Bendix shoes and drums. New wheel cylinders and springs as well.
Unread 07-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #44
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Man I am so jealous of that thing, are those the brands you recommend for the breaks? I'm starting I get some creeks from the back so I'm thinking y drums need work
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 07-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #45
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
Man I am so jealous of that thing, are those the brands you recommend for the breaks? I'm starting I get some creeks from the back so I'm thinking y drums need work
I love the Black Magic/Centric kit, and Black Magic is a member vendor here as well. Highly recommend them for the front. I went with Bendix due to reputation more than anything else. Rear drums: hard to tell if something is much better than another really.

This is literally what I bought:
Relined shoes-- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
New drums-- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With Amazon Prime, it cost me $100 and I had them two days later. New wheel cylinders and spring kit cost me $29 at NAPA. If you need parking brake hardware, that's sold separately. I'd have gotten that if I had remembered it was separate, but I forgot and am reusing the old stuff (it seems to be relatively new anyway).

$230 for the pad/rotor kit from Black Magic (they sell a kit with new calipers as well if you happen to need them as well; if yours are fine, there's no need to waste the money on new ones)
http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...-477-67022.htm

You WILL need a 3/8" brake line wrench (aka flare nut wrench) and Kroil/Liquid Wrench/PB Blaster if you want to change your wheel cylinders. The bolts that hold the cylinder in place rust, and when I did this on my 96, one actually broke (the cylinders don't come with new bolts, so take care or have new ones on hand; not sure of their thread/length offhand, but they're 10 mm head). The nut on the brake line also likes to twist the line if you're not careful. I had to gently hold the line with a vice grip (take care not to crush the line) in order to break the nut free of the line.

The wrench is pretty much necessary. If you want to try a plain crescent wrench, just remember that I warned you that it can very easily strip the nut. They're not expensive; use the right tool for the job.

Tip: if you change your drums' shoes, when you remove them, you'll see areas on the backing plate where the shoes rest and rub (you'll know these areas by their smoothness and lack of rust compared to the rest of the plate. Before installing your new shoes, dab just a thin layer of grease on those areas--your shoes will move more freely and will be less likely to *CLUNK* when braking. I use Evinrude Johnson Triple-Guard Grease. It's sold online and in most boating stores. This is also an FANTASTIC grease to use on your slip yoke by the way and is the primary reason I have some in my garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.