What's a Chrokeese? (build thread) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What's a Chrokeese? (build thread)

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Yes. When I can, I'm going to swap tires with my 96 since my Kumho SAT's have much life left yet. They're 225's, but in the future I'll be on standard load P235's.

These lights are going bye-bye. When the money is available (I'm not a wealthy person), fogs by Cibie or IPF will go under the bumper. Then after that, MAYBE some pencil/driving lamps will go on top of the bumper and/or on a roof rack that may or may not exist some day.
what is a p235? and dont worry (neither am I, I'm just irresponsible)

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
what is a p235? and dont worry (neither am I, I'm just irresponsible)
As opposed to LT235 where load rating is categorized as C, D, E... P-metrics are usually either standard (SL) or extra (XL) load rated. Occasionally XL's can be called reinforced (RF). XL's are popular with sports cars due to reinforced shoulders which can improve handling at the expense of ride quality along with the intended purpose of increasing their actual load rating.

P-metric and LT-metric have different construction standards. P-metrics tend to be more comfortable and more fuel efficient. LT-metrics tend to have deeper tread and be tougher.

A standard-load P-metric will bear all the weight an XJ could ever handle before failing structurally, so there is no need for higher load ratings, and the belief that higher load ratings are inherently better off road is a very messy misconception.

I'll be using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV in the winter most likely, and for the other three seasons possible candidates to replace my Kumhos in a few years include but are not limited to:
  • General Grabber HTS
  • Firestone Destination AT
  • Hercules Terra Trac AT2
  • Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
out of curiosity, why not those popular *** Michelins i see all over?
Michelin LTX MS (now MS2)? Very popular. Why not a contender? Michelin is supremely overrated and overpriced, and I'm not a fan of anything other than their Primacy MXV4 touring tire. Frankly, in regards to tires, most people are very ignorant and have worthless opinions if they bother to have them at all.

Let me put it this way... Assuming all the performance attributes of two tires are equal (such as is the case between General HTS and Michelin MS2), one might then compare their value. Miles per dollar are a good way to do this. How many miles will the tires roll before they need replacing, and how much must you pay for them? When you divide their alleged tread life/warranty by their price tag, they're both excellent value, but the Generals come-out a few cents per mile ahead even though they state 45,000 miles while MS2 claims 70,000 miles. The Michelins are THAT expensive and for no reason that General HTS (as well as some others) can't match or exceed. Even if the Michelins could match the value, I'd still choose the Generals. I'd rather get that value out of a 45k mile tire that could last longer rather than spend the money on an alleged 70k mile tire with the very possible chance that they wouldn't make it that far.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
As opposed to LT235 where load rating is categorized as C, D, E... P-metrics are usually either standard (SL) or extra (XL) load rated. Occasionally XL's can be called reinforced (RF). XL's are popular with sports cars due to reinforced shoulders which can improve handling at the expense of ride quality along with the intended purpose of increasing their actual load rating.

P-metric and LT-metric have different construction standards. P-metrics tend to be more comfortable and more fuel efficient. LT-metrics tend to have deeper tread and be tougher.

A standard-load P-metric will bear all the weight an XJ could ever handle before failing structurally, so there is no need for higher load ratings, and the belief that higher load ratings are inherently better off road is a very messy misconception.

I'll be using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV in the winter most likely, and for the other three seasons possible candidates to replace my Kumhos in a few years include but are not limited to:
  • General Grabber HTS
  • Firestone Destination AT
  • Hercules Terra Trac AT2
  • Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
out of curiosity, why not those popular *** Michelins i see all over?
- Build Thread -
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #19
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The sliders are 0" lift. The 1" rake will come from using Up-Country springs.
Post #9, from the guy who makes them says the kit will give a inch lift over stock shackles?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suspe...der-boxes.html
That post was from 3 years ago though so I guess I need to contact him to see if anything has changed since then.
Unread 06-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #20
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
Post #9, from the guy who makes them says the kit will give a inch lift over stock shackles?
That post was from 3 years ago though so I guess I need to contact him to see if anything has changed since then.
Interesting, I was under the impression these did not change the back end set-up other than how the leafs cycled. They have bolt on and weld in versions. I wonder if the original prototypes from that thread have changed.

BTW - @ mschi, the new ride looks just that - brand new. Nice find.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, I emailed them much more recently about whether they impact ride height, and they told me they no longer do. What I'll probably do just in case is check my current height, install sliders, and check height again. If they provide 1", then I'll get standard springs; if they provide 0", then I'll get up-countries.
Unread 06-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #22
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I emailed them much more recently about whether they impact ride height, and they told me they no longer do. What I'll probably do just in case is check my current height, install sliders, and check height again. If they provide 1", then I'll get standard springs; if they provide 0", then I'll get up-countries.
Alrighty, looks like you are way ahead of me on this.

Also, thanks for posting up the sound deadening stuff, I've been meaning to look it up for a while now and now that I've seen the sounddeadenershowdown site I've realized that some form or another or all that stuff is used in aircraft and theres a aircraft interior refinishing shop next to my work and when I find some free time I could just walk over and get everything I need.
Unread 06-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #23
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

good to know those generals are good tires, I've told people to consider them based on the fact they seemed good to my and what I've been able to find out about them but I value your opinion on tires higher than most people so I feel validated. haha
- Build Thread -
Unread 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Alrighty, looks like you are way ahead of me on this.

Also, thanks for posting up the sound deadening stuff, I've been meaning to look it up for a while now and now that I've seen the sounddeadenershowdown site I've realized that some form or another or all that stuff is used in aircraft and theres a aircraft interior refinishing shop next to my work and when I find some free time I could just walk over and get everything I need.
Make sure whatever you're getting is butyl based, not asphalt based.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #25
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped my battery, headlight harness, PCM cover, and stereo receiver into the 97 today. The thing to the left on the dash is my bluetooth receiver/microphone.

PCM didn't have a cover, so I stole the one out of the 96.

Unread 06-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #26
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I've already found something needing to be fixed after less than 24 hrs. Hooray! It's no big deal--just found the bracket under the center console glove box has broken. I know ccooper1234 over at CherokeeForum has been making metal replacements and selling them for like $60-70 for quite awhile now--http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/199...racket-158249/ Would he be my best option?
My fix was $2, and has held up for a year and a half so far. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post14785173

Unread 06-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #27
GigEmXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm intrigued by this build. I may use some of your ideas for my XJ.
GigEmXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #28
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now lets see if you can do better than my 2 door 98 on fuel consumption. Ive been getting 18MPG constantly driving into Chicago and back daily. 21.5 MPG on a highway rip up to Green Lake earlier the spring. 225-15s 4.0 and auto trans. I hope you can do better as I spend alot of time sitting in traffic.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 04:41 AM   #29
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

That's pretty good MPG for an XJ under those circumstances. Just got 18.8 MPG this weekend--a mix but mostly highway from Racine to Sheboygan and back. There are lots of improvements to be made yet, so that number should increase after I've had my way with it.
Unread 06-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #30
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It would be nice but I doubt it will get much better than that.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.