what is xj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > what is xj?

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
acmech13
1994 XJ Cherokee 

what is xj?

I have a 94 2 door jeep cherokee sport 4x4 4.0 motor. Im new to this forum and was curious? WHat is the difference from an fsj cherokee or xj cherokee? I have had my jeep since 99 and flooded it with miles. good strong motor and trans.

acmech13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

FSJ is a full size jeep made between 1974 and 1983. The XJ is like the new FSJ Cherokee. Think the YJ wrangler being a new version of the CJ-7

XJ is a Cherokee made between 1984 and 2001.

FSJ Cherokee:
http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/80...ief-norway.jpg (link since its a HUGE pic haha)

XJ Cherokee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(SJ)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

[/thread]
Unread 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
6IX

XJ body style:

6IX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The letter code designates different Jeep designs. Because model names get re-used from time to time the letter code helps keep things organized. An FSJ has a full frame and removable body. They were available with 360 cu V8 engines and were made until 1991. This page -http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f2/ - helps tell the differences.

The XJ is not a new FSJ because it has a unibody design and an Inline 6 cylinder engine.

No girly YJ Wrangler with square headlights will ever be a CJ Jeep.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVApunkROCK View Post
FSJ is a full size jeep made between 1974 and 1983. The XJ is like the new FSJ Cherokee.
The FSJ (or more correctly just SJ) was actually made from 1963 to 1992. The XJ is most definitely NOT the new FSJ. That's like saying the Ranger is the new F150. Completely different vehicles aimed at completely different markets. The XJ was to the Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) what the Ford Explorer is to the Ford Expedition. Sorry for all the Ford analogies, they've just got a product mix that makes for good analogies.

Through out most of the product of the SJ model it was called the Wagoneer. Starting in 1974 a new 2-dr model was introduced called the Cherokee Chief. In 1977 the Cherokee model was also offered in a 4-dr. When the XJ came out in 1984, the SJ Cherokee name was stopped, and the Wagoneer was renamed to Grand Wagoneer to signify it's luxury SUV status. To make things even more confusing, the plain Wagoneer badge was also applied to the XJ.

So, not only do we have the SJ Cherokee and XJ Cherokee, but also the SJ Wagoneer and XJ Wagoneer. Typically though when people refer to a "Cherokee" they're talking about an XJ, and when they say Wagoneer they're talking about the old full size vehicle not the XJ Wagoneer.

Oh, and when the ZJ Grand Cherokee came out in 1993, there was also a Grand Wagoneer model, but only for 1993. So there's also an SJ Grand Wagoneer and a ZJ Grand Wagoneer!
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
acmech13
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info ever since i joined this forum i had no idea if my cherokee was a xj. One thing i gotta say this inline 6 is on strong motor.
Unread 01-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The letter code designates different Jeep designs. Because model names get re-used from time to time the letter code helps keep things organized. An FSJ has a full frame and removable body. They were available with 360 cu V8 engines and were made until 1991. This page -http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 - helps tell the differences.

The XJ is not a new FSJ because it has a unibody design and an Inline 6 cylinder engine.

No girly YJ Wrangler with square headlights will ever be a CJ Jeep.
I love how people think the yj is some little ***** jeep and the cj is so tall and mighty when they have so many similarities its rediculous. Not trying to say they are all like this, but most cj owners i have met are stuck up and act like their AMC is so much better than my chrysler even though they would never keep up on the trail.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
voodo3184
1987 XJ Cherokee 

ep191 i completely agree! i have a wrangler too and always find myself going around a cj on the trail

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/voodo3184/
voodo3184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
wessker96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Man you guys missed the mark here an XJ is a way of life!! lol

Membership courtesy of Fletch
wessker96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
wessker96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

And I had a wrangler too no issues and more comfortable than my dads CJ but still liked his more for the man factor

Membership courtesy of Fletch
wessker96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
xj stands for xplosive jeep
mostly because from time to time they xplode

fsj stands for full size jeep
they also some times xplode
there you go
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
josh94xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

ive got the same thing
94 2dr sport 4x4 but i got a 5speed u prolly got a automatic
and mines red wats urs?
josh94xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
acmech13
1994 XJ Cherokee 

mine is automatic and its black paints all dulled and worn out. but after some work it runs strong again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.