What will it take to fit 31x10.50x15 on XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What will it take to fit 31x10.50x15 on XJ

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What will it take to fit 31x10.50x15 on XJ

It is time to purchase some new tires.
This is my ride. These are the rims I have.

What will I have to do to my Jeep to fit 31x10.50x15's on it? Using these wheels. I want to go ahead and purchase some soon, but I need to know what I need to do so they won't rub anywhere on the jeep. Any help will be appreciated. THanks.

zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

using those wheels, with no trimming, to not rub, you'd pretty much have to use wheel spacers (which I won't recommend), 3" lift, bump stop extensions

if you do trim the fenders and get rid of the flares, you can probably get it done on 2" but you still might need the BSE's

in either case, the wheel spacers (or different wheels) would be required just to not rub on the lower control arms, unless you want to really reduce your turning radius
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So Wheel spacers, 3" Lift and Bump Stop Extensions. Dang that is alot just to run 31's. I like the fact that you understand where I am coming from. I like doing things right the first time that way I don't have to do them twice. I like my 235s, but I wanted a small lift. MAINLY just to level the front end. It sits high in the rear. The tires are available in 235 or 31's.
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
JFcavedweller

1999 TJ Wrangler 

my ex had an XJ with 31x10.50 and 2" lift. she had aftermarket wheels with good backspacing but no bump stop extensions. the tires were close to the fenders anyway and it didn't take much for them to rub.

BSEs are very inexpensive and DIY, and totally worth it. just make sure to measure first so that you get BSEs of the right lengths
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You can definitely fit them "vertically" with 2 inches of lift. A budget boost in the front alone would probably be enough. I'm not sure if they will hit the fenders at full stuff but it would be good to check and extend the bumpstops if necessary. But as others said it will rub the control arms with those stock rims. You may just wanna bite the bullet now and get some rims with less back spacing if you plan on off-roading with it and running larger tires. You'll like the look it adds as well. You can get steel wheels for 200 a set or so, and sometimes deals can be found on alloy wheels for not much more.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I used to run stock rims with 31x10.50x15 tires, 3" lift an no bse's, they only rubbed the LCA's at almost full lock. I bought new rims and tires , same size except 4" backspacing an so far I've trimmed a 4" section of my inner fender etc, still using stock flares, an they no longer rub unless I'm flexing a good bit with the tires turned a certain way. The 4" backspacing made it feel more stable IMO , however on stock rims an no bse's with 3" they'll rub the LCA's practically at full lock which isn't bad
96xjKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Guessing you dont do any crazy wheeling? If not its easy enough on stock wheels. Go up 2", and keep sway hooked up and youll be fine for street and average "offroad" type scenarios that dont involve hard flexing. You will rub the tires on lower control arms at full lock but nothing major.

Personally, if you dont want to take the chance 30x9.5s would look good on there and wont really give you any rubbing headaches. Used to run that size on stock suspension and wheels with no issues, still gave it a beefier look over stock.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
oldcelicaracer

I have 31s on my jeep with no bse's, go find some ford ranger wheels they have the perfect backspacing for this,I have them on my jeep(the steel wheels as they hold up better to rocks)I just had to reem the centers out a little as the rangers have smaller hubs,I don't have any wobble or shakes at all either,and if go 3'' lift u will need a adjustable track bar too,some will say u don't but u do if u want ur front end to line up correctly

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum
oldcelicaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The search function.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

A lug wrench
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1
a lug wrench :d
lmao
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
The search function.
Saw a few people talking about this, but no personal opinions. Thank you all for posting and I would love to get some new rims, but I like these and I have five of them. I'm not the rock crawling type. About all we have down here is mud and a few hills. Mostly trail riding for me and a few remote places to metal detect. I'm going to checkout the30x9.50's and weight my options!
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1
A lug wrench
This. And a sawzall.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
This. And a sawzall.
Man I'm not trying to hack my ride all up! It would be nice to have one of those flexed out XJ's, but not really practical for what I do. I take it off road on mild trails and backroads. I'm going to look today for some 30x9.50's...Might just have to wait till the finances get better to go all out. I found a sweet set of 235/75/15s for just over $100 bucks a piece. I'm going to see if I can find some 30's if not I will go back with 235's and a leveling kit.
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaTJ View Post
You can definitely fit them "vertically" with 2 inches of lift. A budget boost in the front alone would probably be enough. I'm not sure if they will hit the fenders at full stuff but it would be good to check and extend the bumpstops if necessary. But as others said it will rub the control arms with those stock rims. You may just wanna bite the bullet now and get some rims with less back spacing if you plan on off-roading with it and running larger tires. You'll like the look it adds as well. You can get steel wheels for 200 a set or so, and sometimes deals can be found on alloy wheels for not much more.
Where can I get Steel Wheels for $200 a set? Would consider selling my Stockers for a set if that was the case.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.