JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   What will it take to fit 31x10.50x15 on XJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/what-will-take-fit-31x10-50x15-xj-1833442/)

zaxfire69 11-27-2013 07:45 AM

What will it take to fit 31x10.50x15 on XJ

It is time to purchase some new tires.
This is my ride. These are the rims I have.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps4087faf7.jpg

What will I have to do to my Jeep to fit 31x10.50x15's on it? Using these wheels. I want to go ahead and purchase some soon, but I need to know what I need to do so they won't rub anywhere on the jeep. Any help will be appreciated. THanks.

JFcavedweller 11-27-2013 07:55 AM

using those wheels, with no trimming, to not rub, you'd pretty much have to use wheel spacers (which I won't recommend), 3" lift, bump stop extensions

if you do trim the fenders and get rid of the flares, you can probably get it done on 2" but you still might need the BSE's

in either case, the wheel spacers (or different wheels) would be required just to not rub on the lower control arms, unless you want to really reduce your turning radius

zaxfire69 11-27-2013 08:35 AM

So Wheel spacers, 3" Lift and Bump Stop Extensions. Dang that is alot just to run 31's. I like the fact that you understand where I am coming from. I like doing things right the first time that way I don't have to do them twice. I like my 235s, but I wanted a small lift. MAINLY just to level the front end. It sits high in the rear. The tires are available in 235 or 31's.

JFcavedweller 11-27-2013 08:51 AM

my ex had an XJ with 31x10.50 and 2" lift. she had aftermarket wheels with good backspacing but no bump stop extensions. the tires were close to the fenders anyway and it didn't take much for them to rub.

BSEs are very inexpensive and DIY, and totally worth it. just make sure to measure first so that you get BSEs of the right lengths

apaTJ 11-27-2013 12:13 PM

You can definitely fit them "vertically" with 2 inches of lift. A budget boost in the front alone would probably be enough. I'm not sure if they will hit the fenders at full stuff but it would be good to check and extend the bumpstops if necessary. But as others said it will rub the control arms with those stock rims. You may just wanna bite the bullet now and get some rims with less back spacing if you plan on off-roading with it and running larger tires. You'll like the look it adds as well. You can get steel wheels for 200 a set or so, and sometimes deals can be found on alloy wheels for not much more.

96xjKing 11-27-2013 12:20 PM

I used to run stock rims with 31x10.50x15 tires, 3" lift an no bse's, they only rubbed the LCA's at almost full lock. I bought new rims and tires , same size except 4" backspacing an so far I've trimmed a 4" section of my inner fender etc, still using stock flares, an they no longer rub unless I'm flexing a good bit with the tires turned a certain way. The 4" backspacing made it feel more stable IMO , however on stock rims an no bse's with 3" they'll rub the LCA's practically at full lock which isn't bad

VegasGT 11-27-2013 12:34 PM

Guessing you dont do any crazy wheeling? If not its easy enough on stock wheels. Go up 2", and keep sway hooked up and youll be fine for street and average "offroad" type scenarios that dont involve hard flexing. You will rub the tires on lower control arms at full lock but nothing major.

Personally, if you dont want to take the chance 30x9.5s would look good on there and wont really give you any rubbing headaches. Used to run that size on stock suspension and wheels with no issues, still gave it a beefier look over stock.

oldcelicaracer 11-27-2013 01:41 PM

I have 31s on my jeep with no bse's, go find some ford ranger wheels they have the perfect backspacing for this,I have them on my jeep(the steel wheels as they hold up better to rocks)I just had to reem the centers out a little as the rangers have smaller hubs,I don't have any wobble or shakes at all either,and if go 3'' lift u will need a adjustable track bar too,some will say u don't but u do if u want ur front end to line up correctly

Sent from my DROID4 using JeepForum

Motorcharge 11-27-2013 02:47 PM

The search function.

cbenez1 11-27-2013 02:53 PM

A lug wrench :D

apaTJ 11-27-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbenez1
a lug wrench :d

lmao

zaxfire69 11-27-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcharge
The search function.

Saw a few people talking about this, but no personal opinions. Thank you all for posting and I would love to get some new rims, but I like these and I have five of them. I'm not the rock crawling type. About all we have down here is mud and a few hills. Mostly trail riding for me and a few remote places to metal detect. I'm going to checkout the30x9.50's and weight my options!

ibjeepin95 11-27-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbenez1
A lug wrench :D

This. And a sawzall.

zaxfire69 11-28-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 (Post 18077530)
This. And a sawzall.

Man I'm not trying to hack my ride all up!:nono: It would be nice to have one of those flexed out XJ's, but not really practical for what I do. I take it off road on mild trails and backroads. I'm going to look today for some 30x9.50's...Might just have to wait till the finances get better to go all out. I found a sweet set of 235/75/15s for just over $100 bucks a piece. I'm going to see if I can find some 30's if not I will go back with 235's and a leveling kit.

zaxfire69 11-28-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apaTJ (Post 18065450)
You can definitely fit them "vertically" with 2 inches of lift. A budget boost in the front alone would probably be enough. I'm not sure if they will hit the fenders at full stuff but it would be good to check and extend the bumpstops if necessary. But as others said it will rub the control arms with those stock rims. You may just wanna bite the bullet now and get some rims with less back spacing if you plan on off-roading with it and running larger tires. You'll like the look it adds as well. You can get steel wheels for 200 a set or so, and sometimes deals can be found on alloy wheels for not much more.

Where can I get Steel Wheels for $200 a set? Would consider selling my Stockers for a set if that was the case.

The time now is 02:49 AM.