What size tire could I fit with this lift without trimming? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What size tire could I fit with this lift without trimming?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Silas09
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What size tire could I fit with this lift without trimming?

I am most likely going to order a 3 inch rc lift with full leafs for my 98 xj. If I added 1 inch spacers and different shackles to get to 4 inches of lift, could I fit 33 inch tires without trimming my fenders?

Silas09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No.

You should also pay attention to the pinch seam at the back of the front wheel location. It will cut tread unless folded over.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
^- This. If you don't want to trim, you either need to lift/ bumpstop a lot, and still run the risk of running into the flares. The higher you lift, the more work needs to be done on the steering & suspension to make it work properly.

If you want any uptravel and keep the XJ at anywhere near a reasonable lift height (in my world, LCOG is the way to go) pretty much any tire exceeding 31" will require trimming. You can fairly easily fit 33s on 3" lift, 35s require a bit of sheetmetal work to do it right. Bumpstopping at any lift height is required anyways.

To put it other way, you don't need to lift any higher than 3"; whack in the pinchwelds in the front wheel arches and trim along the fender flare outer edge; cut 'n fold in the rear. If you want a factory look, there are quite a few companies making good- looking fender flares these days that cover a 33 x 12.50 tire.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Windrider
2001 XJ Cherokee 

XJ has relatively small wheel wells compared to a TJ. Trimming is pretty mandatory to get 33s under there unless you jack it up.

I'm running 4.5" lift, no front wheel well liners, significant trimming on the front and a wee bit extra bump stops and it's pretty close with 285/75/16s with 4.5" back spacing that are 33.1" tall. Pretty close means I can get it to rub occasionally when I'm being stupid.

I could do 32s that measured 31.5 on ravine wheels at 4.5 without trimming.

2006 Tan LJ - Less and less stock by the day.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.