What should I pay for this jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What should I pay for this jeep?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

What should I pay for this jeep?

Ok guys, I've owned a few XJ's, so i'm not new to them, but would like a little advice as to what I should pay for a jeep i'm looking at. I found a 92 XJ 4.0 2dr AX15 NP231 with 138k miles. I know a clean 2dr 5speed XJ is pretty rare these days. The jeep is pretty clean from what I can tell in the pictures. The guy says the AC doesn't work right now. He doesnt know if it just needs a charge, or if there's an issue with it. He claims there's a Ujoint making noise, and the paint is starting to fade some. None of these issues are really major to me. I do want working AC, but I figure I can get it going pretty easily.

He's asking $2,900. What should I be looking to pay for a jeep like this? Keep in mind this is a VA jeep, that seems to be rust free from the pictures. I'll find out more when I go see it this weekend.

Unread 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Its worth what your willing to pay for it. I would probably pay that much if everything checked out.

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

that's kind of how I feel, but nada and kbb put it at 2300-2400. I know clean ones are becoming more rare, and clean is important to me. It's going to be a weekend/project jeep, but I dont want someone else's stinky, dirty crap
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
wretchedjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

That sounds a lot like my XJ. It was a VA jeep, 2 door with 170k. It looked pretty good on the outside but once i got it home I found cancer in the floor and a steady leak from the RMS. I paid $1350 for mine so I'm not that dissapointed but make sure you get good pics of the rockers and floor first.
www.freshprintsofhouston.com
wretchedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a fair price to me
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
mixje
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I paid $2700 for my 2000xj in pretty much showroom conidition (minus a dented liftgate) with 142k on it. It has minor rust but nothing serious, was never taken off road.. Not sure I'd pay more for a vehicle 8 years older with some issues. They're valued at a lot but no one ever pays that price. Mine was valued at like $5200 by the state (they said I didn't pay enough sales tax) but I'd neva eva pay that much
mixje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixje
I paid $2700 for my 2000xj in pretty much showroom conidition (minus a dented liftgate) with 142k on it. It has minor rust but nothing serious, was never taken off road.. Not sure I'd pay more for a vehicle 8 years older with some issues. They're valued at a lot but no one ever pays that price. Mine was valued at like $5200 by the state (they said I didn't pay enough sales tax) but I'd neva eva pay that much
It sounds like you got an abnormally good deal!
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
mixje
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcjohnny View Post
It sounds like you got an abnormally good deal!
He only wanted $3100 originally, and he was a friend of a friend, so yes kind of I did get a good deal.. but jeeps are also a dime a dozen around here.. I still think $2900 is too much for a 92 with some issues. I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for it.
mixje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wouldnt pay more then 1800 for it. Check on which AC it has, not sure when they did the cut over, but a conversion kit to bring it to date is a couple bills.

the U joint making noise can be an issue as well. is it the ujoint for sure?

Low mileage is the only thing i see going for it for the price raise. if it had higher, say 150k. wouldnt pay more then 1200-1500.

Here in CO, i see alot and people tend to think they are worth more then they really are, but deals can still be found. my 97, with lift and everything working, minus ac (blown hose) was only 2k

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i think thats a fair price. i would offer 2500 and see what happens. clean jeeps aren't getting less rare. when you see one thats good, you have to jump on it

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.