what should i do next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > what should i do next?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

what should i do next?

So I don't know what upgrades I should do next and I hope you guys have had firts hand view of what is the best for next upgrade.so to start ill tell you what I have all ready done.engine wise a power aid throttle body spacer and airaid intake. I have a 6.5 short arm lift with a dana 44 with 4.56s and detroit locker(bought axle for 100 bucks).I still didn't re gear front to natch rear.I'm also still have deathwobble but still have stock pitman arm and stock trackbar mount.so problem is I don't know if I should re gear front,get and sye,drop pitman arm,trackbar drop braket,upgrade steering or nish wj knuckle swap.all these things I wanna do but tight on cash and can only do one or two things between pay checks.what would you guys recomend first that I would benifit from most.it is sorta my dd and deff sees woods a lot so I'm lost on what to do next. Also iim running 31 thorn turds any tires that are cheap you guys would recomend??

Unread 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i say CA drop brackets and fix the DW, it probably something cheap like a worn bushing or TRE causing it, after that re-gear it and get the 4wd back
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I didn't have death wobble till I replaced my severely worn out coils to new ones with dropped axle and prob sent all my adjustments out the window and after 4 hours of adjusting things I gave up and just say bellow 50 is it true the drop brackes are a week set up? I herd they can rip off frame well unibody
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

And all TRE are mayb a month old and are tight
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednkchris View Post
Well I didn't have death wobble till I replaced my severely worn out coils to new ones with dropped axle and prob sent all my adjustments out the window and after 4 hours of adjusting things I gave up and just say bellow 50 is it true the drop brackes are a week set up? I herd they can rip off frame well unibody
thet're not weak, not by a long shot, with the included braces, like with Rough Country brackets, they're pretty strong, and the extra flex and ride quality more than makes up for any shortcomings, they can get hung up on stuff but are beefy enough to slide right off or over.

Mine are welded to the unibody in a few places, the "bolt-on" install RC tell you to do works fine but after a while develops some slop and starts to pop and make noise, welding them fixes that.

The DW is something that can be hard to diagnose, any slop in any of the front joints can add up to cause it, even the ball joints. Its usually one really worn out thing or a bunch of little issues, like the axle side track bar bolt ovaling out its hole.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If it were me, I would fix your DW before putting money into anything else especially if you drive your XJ everyday.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I kinda fixed dw just stay under 50 haha well after driving today I relised its not dw its not fully shakeing its just like head shake I think the caster is off
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Slowbaru

No sye at 6.5?
Slowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nope drive shaft is lil longer the axle is shimed and the 44 I think moved shaft up more I have a little vibe but drive shaft has a dent.the thorn turds vibrate it I believe.... stock tires isn't bad
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was doing some thinking if I run the control arm drop brackets won't it pull axle back more? I'm running 35s now and tirea close to the rear of fender
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednkchris View Post
I was doing some thinking if I run the control arm drop brackets won't it pull axle back more? I'm running 35s now and tirea close to the rear of fender
Not really, with the drop brackets and 6.5"s of lift the brackets drop the arms like 4"s if I remember right. So it's like you have 2.5"s of lift, I'm assuming you have adjustable control arms I can't imagine you having stock. But none the less it should push the axle out more. As for the rest fix the dw, regear front axle, don't worry about a dpa no need really unless you go higher or drop the trackbar bracket. Then do an sye, upgrade steering, if you need the extra cash sell the tb spacer, and cai. The cai is a cold water intake, I hydrolocked my last jeep because of one of those. The tb spacer is a waste of money most will agree. Not trying to tell you what to do just my two cents, and im half asleep so I might be wrong.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednkchris
It won't pull your axle back, it will push it forward some. With the rc drop brackets you use the stock control arms up to 4.5in of lift. And it stays center. If you have adjustable arms already you can run the axle center or pushed forward. I run mine a little more forward then it is normally. I'm running 36s on 5.5 in of lift and have plenty of room. Best shot I have right now but will take a better one after work. And with the brackets it will flex better to.
2011-12-29-20.15.55.jpg   2012-01-12-19.33.03.jpg  
Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
pumpkinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Tb spacer I got for free same as intake way I look at it is if it was free why sell it
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
rednkchris
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Holy flex. How much is cut out of the fenders I have 35s and I have no were near that much room
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednkchris
Holy flex. How much is cut out of the fenders I have 35s and I have no were near that much room
A lot, everything behind the rear door basically. So about 2 maybe 3in cut out, there's a before and after before on 35s after on 36s
2011-05-28-17.29.53.jpg   2012-06-26-18.13.57.jpg  
Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
pumpkinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.