What should i do next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What should i do next?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What should i do next?

I'm 16 and on a budget what should I do to my jeep next? It's white on black 2.5 skyjacker lift 30 inch Toyo tires flow master exhaust blue fog lights (trail lights) 2 12" subs k&n cold air intake herculined stock bumpers flairs and about 12 inches of the bottom of the body/doors 2" trailer package a fyew stickers anything in mind? Thanks Josh

Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well it depends on what you mean by a budget how small of a budget lol. well im working witha stock jeep myself and a guy sugested to me a small lift and lockers and armor... so i would haveto say u got a lift go for a front locker? I dont really know whats what or anything but he sugested an aussie front locker there pretty cheap i checked them out
dave95_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

1. pics or it didn't happen
  2. read all the stickies should be next to learn yourself your XJ
  3. sway bar disconnects if you want to wheel - don't get cheap ones though - they will rattle
  4. skid plates if you want to wheel - stock ones will work well to start - CL, ebay, JF classifieds used and cheap
  5. recovery points - receiver shackle for the rear 30 bucks , front needs substantial tow hook brackets with hooks used for 50, new for 100ish - you can't just bolt on TJ hooks to the unibody frame
  6. recovery strap - to attach WHEN you or your buddy (never wheel alone) get's stuck 30-40 bucks
  7. Save some money for the parts you will break doing foolish stuff with the above parts already attached.
  8. You don't need a winch right away - but they are good to have
  9. You don't need a locker right away - but they will increase your abilities once you learn to wheel without one.
  10. Have you already changed all your fluids? I mean all of them - even the power steering fluid.
Welcome to the forum, search first then ask us for other help.
Unread 05-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave95_xj
Well it depends on what you mean by a budget how small of a budget lol. well im working witha stock jeep myself and a guy sugested to me a small lift and lockers and armor... so i would haveto say u got a lift go for a front locker? I dont really know whats what or anything but he sugested an aussie front locker there pretty cheap i checked them out
I'm about to get a job $115 a week so just not anything too big I might go to a bigger lift now that I'm going to have more money for gas maybe not though but any suggestions can help thx
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka
[*]pics or it didn't happen[*]read all the stickies should be next to learn yourself your XJ[*]sway bar disconnects if you want to wheel - don't get cheap ones though - they will rattle[*]skid plates if you want to wheel - stock ones will work well to start - CL, ebay, JF classifieds used and cheap[*]recovery points - receiver shackle for the rear 30 bucks , front needs substantial tow hook brackets with hooks used for 50, new for 100ish - you can't just bolt on TJ hooks to the unibody frame[*]recovery strap - to attach WHEN you or your buddy (never wheel alone) get's stuck 30-40 bucks[*]Save some money for the parts you will break doing foolish stuff with the above parts already attached.[*]You don't need a winch right away - but they are good to have[*]You don't need a locker right away - but they will increase your abilities once you learn to wheel without one.[*]Have you already changed all your fluids? I mean all of them - even the power steering fluid.

Welcome to the forum, search first then ask us for other help.
I'm going to try to buy some armor off of my sisters friend he needs money and his jeep is raged out bad
Unread 05-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

save save save. dont make dumb purchases like this kid.

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thinking about a bother 1 inch lift
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
I'm 16 and on a budget what should I do to my jeep next? It's white on black 2.5 skyjacker lift 30 inch Toyo tires flow master exhaust blue fog lights (trail lights) 2 12" subs k&n cold air intake herculined stock bumpers flairs and about 12 inches of the bottom of the body/doors 2" trailer package a fyew stickers anything in mind? Thanks Josh
Sell the K&N intake and the 12" subs this will increase your budget.

Based on the assumption that you actually want to wheel it and not cruise the mall for teenie boppers, in my opinion order of importance for next mods would go like this:
#1 - Recovery points from and rear. Sounds like you have a hitch so grab some hooks/brackets for the front.
#2 - Quick disconnects, I like Rubicon Express' but JKS also make good ones.
#3 - Full size spare.
#4 - Assuming you don't already have....tow strap, I like 30,000 lbs or up. Add to this same list, basic trail tools, may be a high lift if you think you'll use it.
#4.5 - Go actually wheel your rig as much as you can, no parts take the place of knowing how to drive your rig.
#5 - Rock sliders, JCR Offroad's are my fav's for the price.
#6 - Bumpers, front and rear. Again I like JCR, but there are plenty of good options here.
#7 - You can blow $1,000 on 1 - 6 assuming this takes you the next year to complete buy the time you finish that you are going to decide you need more lift and larger tires. So come back and ask again in a year. Good luck.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.