What rock sliders/rockers to get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What rock sliders/rockers to get?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
THXdts

What rock sliders/rockers to get?

My XJ's rockers are rusted out pretty decently, the small dilemma I am having is that I'm not sure weather to replace the rockers, or to get rock sliders.

I'm not to crazy on the trails, but I don't want to replace with stock type rockers just to have them busted up, but most rock sliders attach to the rocker panels themselves?

I wouldn't mind rock sliders if they are more streamline, inexpensive (yeah right). Not a fan of them sticking out so far.

Anyone with any ideas? I'm sure there is some product out there that I will like that I am just overlooking or have not seen.

THXdts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

First, can you weld/know a welder, and do you have access to a 240 volt welder ? Building your own rock rails is inexpensive, and you get exactly what you want.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
nolanbalzarini

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/xj...tection-p-283/
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...er-replacement
Unread 11-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
nolanbalzarini

^ i didnt even think of the 2x6
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

2x6 rockers or bust.

Edit: or 2x4 if you dont want them sticking out. Would make a good stock replacement for rusty sheetmetal.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
2 x 6 rockers. Best, smartest, easiest, and cheapest to do - if you have access to a welder.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
THXdts

The 2x6 rockers look awesome.
Unread 11-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
THXdts

Is there a bolt-on way instead of welding? I do not have access to a welder, I know welding is the way to go though.
Unread 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most store bought rock sliders are bolt on, typically at the pinch seam and the frame rails.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXdts View Post
Is there a bolt-on way instead of welding? I do not have access to a welder, I know welding is the way to go though.
For 2 x 6 rockers, no. Even if you replace your current rusty rockers, they need to be welded. Some people use rivets and bondo, but that is a VERY bad method on "fixing" (a.k.a. destroying) a unibody vehicle. Unibody vehicles REQUIRE rust repair panels to be welded in, not ghetto- fixed.

Because your rockers are rusted badly and need to be replaced, you cannot bolt on even the kind of aftermarket rock sliders CJ7-Tim posted. They need the rockers and uniframe to be in good condition.

..in other words, because you need to do welding anyways, the best method is to use 2 x 6 box steel. A lot stronger than stock, act as rock sliders as well, and are in fact easier to weld on than using pre-formed sheetmetal OEM- style rocker replacements.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jcr
Unread 11-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Even if you can't weld, go buy a $50 grinder at Lowe's. You can cut out the rockers, trim down the 2x6,flat bar to cap the ends, ect and prep everything to be welded and find a local welder to burn it in for you. The prep is the pain in the *** part that would get expensive to pay someone else to do. Should save you a good bit doing that yourself. Post in the regional forums too, you might get lucky and find someone on here willing to weld them in for you for free. Jeep clubs are good for that sort of thing too.
Unread 11-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

PO of my XJ installed AJ's SuperSquare rock rails, and I've been way impressed.

ajsoffroadarmor.com

I am pretty sure they saved me from at least one roll over. It's also nice to have more overhang to step on. There's enough there that I can walk along the length of my Jeep by walking on my sliders. Super nice if you're axle deep in a mud hole to be able to shimmy around the outside of your Jeep without jumping in. Some might say that's half the fun I guess. I also like that there's essentially two rails per side with a gap between them; it makes me feel that a hi-lift is a little more secure in there.

Every place I know of sells sliders in unfinished bare steel, and some offer powder coating as an option. Just be sure, no matter whose you buy, not to skimp on whatever paint/coating you choose to go with. What a PITA to have to strip, sand, and prep those over again after they're installed.
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

AJ makes good stuff. You might find some ****ty reviews out there if you Google him, but it's because people jumped the gun thinking he was scamming people a while back when in reality his house and workshop caught on fire and burned down. Outside of that I've never seen any complaints about him or his stuff. I think he's very fairly priced too, especially compared to some vendors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.