What rims should I get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What rims should I get?

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
ajtasset
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What rims should I get?

Hi, this is my first post in this forum and I have a quick question. I have an emerald green 1996 jeep cherokee and I am looking into giving it a 3" lift with 31" bfg all terrains. I would also like to get a new set of rims to replace the stock steel ones. I would like to keep the price under $100 per rim. Any suggestions?

ajtasset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

D windows will look good. I think they are one of the best looking rims that you can put on an XJ. They average around $50 for the cheap ones and 75 for good quality name brand ones. I have American Racing 767 wheels on mine. They retail for 80 IIRC. Pro Comp has some that are 55. Cragar also makes some. Another popular wheel are the Soft 8's. Or you could go all out and get alloys that will retail over $100. Steel wheels are probably your best bet if you don't want to spend over your limit.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Mike934

Don't do d windows or so 8s the weight is absurd. Something like 48lbs a wheel..stock aluminums weighed 20. That's almost 100 extra pounds in rim weight alone, effecting handling, braking, efficient and where & tear. Look for some aftermarket aluminum or alloy wheels. Eagle alloy, pro comp, American racing, atx, and many other brands.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Black rims are the "in-thing", but I think all black looks like junkyard material. I tried to fit with the trend and went 50/50. I love it. These were $150/pc.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The new owners of the forum made it so I can't post pics. THIS SUCKS, I GUESS I'M ABOUT DONE WITH JEEP FORUM.
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
The new owners of the forum made it so I can't post pics. THIS SUCKS, I GUESS I'M ABOUT DONE WITH JEEP FORUM.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/wh...89/index3.html

They're addressing it. Relax ffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
Don't do d windows or so 8s the weight is absurd. Something like 48lbs a wheel..stock aluminums weighed 20. That's almost 100 extra pounds in rim weight alone, effecting handling, braking, efficient and where & tear. Look for some aftermarket aluminum or alloy wheels. Eagle alloy, pro comp, American racing, atx, and many other brands.
And no, D Windows and Softs 8s do NOT weigh 48 lbs a piece.
They weigh around 28 lbs a piece vs about 20 for the stock allow wheels. I notice absolutely no difference in my handling, braking, gas mileage, ect on steel wheels over the alloy I had before.

As for the OP, I'd do anything but D Windows and Soft 8s. They're done to death and everyone and their brother has them. I like my V5s, but I'm picky about wheels and picked them because they look like stock wheels.
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

They weigh around 28 lbs a piece vs about 20 for the stock allow wheels. I notice absolutely no difference in my handling, braking, gas mileage, ect on steel wheels over the alloy I had before.

As for the OP, I'd do anything but D Windows and Soft 8s. They're done to death and everyone and their brother has them. I like my V5s, but I'm picky about wheels and picked them because they look like stock wheels.
OP has stock steelies, so the difference is even less.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
ajtasset
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everybody for your input, it helps me out a lot!
ajtasset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Ill look around online but the last time I had pro comp d. Windows or whichever brand they were they were 48lbs on a scale. So yes 28lbs at each corner would effect handling & breaking, 8lbs not so much!
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Ill look around online but the last time I had pro comp d. Windows or whichever brand they were they were 48lbs on a scale. So yes 28lbs at each corner would effect handling & breaking, 8lbs not so much!
There is no way possible that they can be almost 50 pounds. I tote around horse feed daily and each bag is fifty pounds. And those rims are no where close to that.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Teej
Brandon <3's Alcohol

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I have 15x8 ProComp D Windows that I just got and the boxes said they were 32 lbs for the whole one wheel package. The boxes with two wheels said 64 lbs. I don't see how yours were 48 lbs on a scale.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Mike934

Maybe I'm off but I remember 48 pretty vividly.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe that was the weight with 235's on 'em.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Steel wheels are harder to balance, atleast from my experience. They had to use a huge amount of weights to get my steelies to balance up, they never did get them right on. You can't beat steelies for durability tho.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ION makes some pretty decent cheap alloy wheels. I paid $75 a pc for my 174's with free shipping from JC Whitney(best deal I could find).

It's hard to beat a decent set of used wheels for the money. Search around on craigslist or a local junkyard if you're on a budget. You can usually find wheels and tires used for less than you'd just pay for new rims.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.