what to look for in a late model cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > what to look for in a late model cherokee?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

what to look for in a late model cherokee?

looking at a 98 tonight. it sounds great. has 140K on the odo. the guy is the second owner, he bought it from a lady who used it as her around town vehicle. he has every receipt from any work done on it. oil changes, trans flush etc.

i have never owned a late model, only drive one. anything specific to look for?
it is a 98 sport, white with black/grey interior. one rip on the side of the seat. very small. tint. roof rack, hitch sounds like it is all stock, but i havent seen pics.
he wants 2700. or maybe less if its gone today
has a washington title, but is clean and clear, no problem, i will just have to transfer it to oregon and have the vin inspected.

i think ill get the vin and call oregon DMV and they can tell me if it will be a branded title or not. just to double check. he says its not. but i wanna make sure.

92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

thats a fair price, everyone around here is stupid with the prices they ask on simmilar late model jeeps around here. even a decent 87 will go for 3k (no kidding i looked at one and offered 2k on it and that was high for that truck, i thought..)
stephen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
REDPoliceXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

that seems like a fair price if you ask me. I just paid a little over 3000 for a 99 with 76k on her. I guess it all depends on what the condition is because we all know that the 4.0 will run forever so no worries there. I'm new to Jeeps so I can't offer any really useful info but I hope that this will help you out a little bit!
REDPoliceXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yea it ran good, but needed tires bad!, also was dirtier then i expected, and the paint was coming off at the rain gutters...
so i offered 2250 (also a couple hundred in plates and title fees) and he said he had so many people wanting to buy that he would sell it at 2500-2700 to someone else.

oh well
it drove great though
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.