What lift do I have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What lift do I have?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
ColtonW

What lift do I have?

Hey guys! My name is Colton and I'm 18. I've been wanting an XJ for a longg time now and I finially saved up for my first one. It is an 01 XJ RC lift on 31 Trxus's. I love this XJ to death. I am using this as my DD but I also plan to wheel it all summer. Therefore I have some questions.

I know my Jeep has an RCX or a Rough Country lift, but I am unsure of the size. I believe it is a 4.5" because of the radius arms, the drop bracket, and the tcase drop (all of which comes with the 4.5 RC lift) but it doesn't seem to sit as high as other XJ's I've seen with a 4.5. Also, my tires rub like a mofo when I flex, and this is no good because where I am going to wheel, I am going to need zero rub with alot of flex. I'll post pictures up and please tell me what you guys think. I'd really appreciate it!

(Down the road, when I get into the Electrical union and my paychecks grow, my ideal set up would be 4" OME lift, Clayton long arms, BW flat flares, BFG KM2 31's, on Micky Thompson Sidebiters. I don't want a larger tire than a 31, because it IS my dd.)

Driver rear tire was off the ground here..

ColtonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonW View Post
Hey guys! My name is Colton and I'm 18. I've been wanting an XJ for a longg time now and I finially saved up for my first one. It is an 01 XJ RC lift on 31 Trxus's. I love this XJ to death. I am using this as my DD but I also plan to wheel it all summer. Therefore I have some questions.

I know my Jeep has an RCX or a Rough Country lift, but I am unsure of the size. I believe it is a 4.5" because of the radius arms, the drop bracket, and the tcase drop (all of which comes with the 4.5 RC lift) but it doesn't seem to sit as high as other XJ's I've seen with a 4.5. Also, my tires rub like a mofo when I flex, and this is no good because where I am going to wheel, I am going to need zero rub with alot of flex. I'll post pictures up and please tell me what you guys think. I'd really appreciate it!

(Down the road, when I get into the Electrical union and my paychecks grow, my ideal set up would be 4" OME lift, Clayton long arms, BW flat flares, BFG KM2 31's, on Micky Thompson Sidebiters. I don't want a larger tire than a 31, because it IS my dd.)

Driver rear tire was off the ground here..
Do you know how long the lift has been on? rc tends to sag after a while.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
ColtonW

I havn't a clue to be honest.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I havn't a clue to be honest.
I'm kinda thinking it's more of a 3 inch lift. Not really sure though.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
ColtonW

Now, you see where my back tire rubs the back of the fender well? I've been looking on how to trim that but I havn't had luck. Could anyone steer me in the right direction as far as pictures/links/etc?
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Now, you see where my back tire rubs the back of the fender well? I've been looking on how to trim that but I havn't had luck. Could anyone steer me in the right direction as far as pictures/links/etc?
Don't have pictures but it's called cut and fold. If you look at your rear fender Wells there will be small indents..those are pinch welds and if you cut them your going to have a hole into your Jeep. You have to cut in-between them and then pound up the parts you cut with a hammer. Try searching rear cut and fold thete might be ones with pictures.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
1995_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Search for cut and fold, thats what most people do. Also if its not done already you need to bumpstop the front and rear even after you trim, and extend your brake lines if its not done already also

You can ditch your rear sway bar too if its still on
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
ColtonW

The rear sway bar IS still on. I'm take that off and mess around with it at work after house tomorrow. Now do I have to buy different size bumpstops or are the adjustable some how? Please excuse me for the dumb questions, I am 100 new to Jeeps.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The rear sway bar IS still on. I'm take that off and mess around with it at work after house tomorrow. Now do I have to buy different size bumpstops or are the adjustable some how? Please excuse me for the dumb questions, I am 100 new to Jeeps.
Don't worry about it, you gotta start learning somewhere. I know jks makes adjustable bumptious but there over 100 bucks. You could go the cheap way and use hockey pucks ha
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Elias4WDCenter

That is a nice looking XJ, I love it.

Those aren't radius arms, they're lower control arms. You'll have four links up there connecting your axle to your chassis.
Looks like a 4.5" lift because of the drop brackets on the LCAs. That lift will or has sagged. The arms in your photo, behind the front tire - are they parallel to the ground between the axle and the bend? If the bend is lower than the axle mount end, it is really sagging. In off road situations, those lowered mounts will hit on every rock and they can weaken the whole structure of the mount mounted to the mount mounted to the unibody.

Flex, gas mileage, DD - all things considered!
I would get yourself some 4 cylinder XJ axles (8.25 rear axle, 97 or newer) with 4.10 gears, and some 32-33" tires. (Gearing provides more than crawl and acceleration, it keeps your daily driver in the optimal RPM range for the best mileage.)
T&T Customs Rok-Tek 4.5" long arm and an SYE with Tom Woods drive shafts. BDS rear shackles provide FANTASTIC flex in a bolt on shackle. Throw in an Aussie Locker (in the rear) for inexpensive and reliable traction. Simple Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer to round out this build and you'll have one helluva nice riding/driving/wheeling XJ.
After a couple trips in the mud, you'll get sick of drum brake maintenance and performance, so a rear disc brake kit are widely available for that axle.

(Alternative to XJ rear axle, would be a Liberty KJ 8.25 rear with 4.10s and disc brakes on it. Cutting off the KJ brackets and installing the axle on your leaf springs is a piece of cake, and overall you'll save some do-ray-me.)

WASH, WASH, WASH it. If you have any holes in the rear wheel wells (front, closest to the rear doors), patch 'em or seal them ASAP to help prolong your rocker panel life.
Sales, Service & Installation - Suspension, Accessories, Wheels and Tires, Recovery Gear, Bumpers. WE SET UP AXLES, GEARS and LOCKERS. (And we'll work on your mother-in-law's Honda so you can wrench on your Jeep!) 978-597-8432 Mon - Thurs, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Townsend, MA. Tell us Jeep Forum sent you!
Elias4WDCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Elias4WDCenter

Quote:
I'm supposed to be working, and I find myself sucked into a red XJ thread...

Remove the rear sway bar and try to save the brackets on the leaf spring side. The brackets are perfect for use as bar pin eliminators in the rear. (front, too, but the rears are more important)

For front bump stops, I always use teraflex aluminum bump stops that use self tapping screws into the front coil mounting pad on the axle. They'll work quite well with the upper stock bump stop.

Front brake lines - you can use (pick a year) 1994 Jeep Wrangler front brake hoses which are much longer. (for more than 6" lift, 1988 Chevy 1500 4x4 front lines work awesome by simply cutting off one tab on the included brackets). Technically, I should say use a braided steel brake line kit... Technically, I have to admit to leaning towards the economic decision on my own Jeep so take it for what it is worth.

Going back to my earlier post...
My 98 XJ is on T&T rok-tek, ACOS adj spacers in front on 3" BDS coils. 5" BDS rear spring + BDS rear shackles. All BDS shocks and stabilizer. I'll be upgrading to Bilstein for that stuff from my other XJ which has new ones in it. All told, I am on around 6" lift and 34" tires. This could be a daily driver, but for now it just gets driven to trails, wheeled and garaged.
Sales, Service & Installation - Suspension, Accessories, Wheels and Tires, Recovery Gear, Bumpers. WE SET UP AXLES, GEARS and LOCKERS. (And we'll work on your mother-in-law's Honda so you can wrench on your Jeep!) 978-597-8432 Mon - Thurs, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Based on drop brackets and control arm angle, it is definitely a 4.5" RC lift.

Looks like a pretty good start for a first XJ. Congrats man!
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
ColtonW

Thank you guys.. so much!
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias4WDCenter View Post
In off road situations, those lowered mounts will hit on every rock and they can weaken the whole structure of the mount mounted to the mount mounted to the unibody.
Where did you get this information? I did months of research (on NAXJA and here on JF amongst other places) trying to decide between RC DBs, RE DBs, and LAs and ended up with the RC DBs. Your information is incorrect, and is based on speculation and no hands on experience with the product, something I wouldn't expect from a forum vendor...

I wasn't able to find one instance where the structural integrity of the unibody was compromised by the use of DBs.

OP, the drop brackets are a great alternative to long arms and unless you are planning on a LA upgrade they will work great paired with other manufacturers' coils, arms, and shocks.

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Elias4WDCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrailratedJ View Post
Where did you get this information? I did months of research (on NAXJA and here on JF amongst other places) trying to decide between RC DBs, RE DBs, and LAs and ended up with the RC DBs. Your information is incorrect, and is based on speculation and no hands on experience with the product, something I wouldn't expect from a forum vendor...

I wasn't able to find one instance where the structural integrity of the unibody was compromised by the use of DBs.

OP, the drop brackets are a great alternative to long arms and unless you are planning on a LA upgrade they will work great paired with other manufacturers' coils, arms, and shocks.
Are you speculating that I have no hands on experience with the product, or is this something you know?
I am not here to bash a manufacturer's product. I posted information I thought would be helpful for the OP and his long term goals.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.