what kinda tires are u running/ or do u suggest? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > what kinda tires are u running/ or do u suggest?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 03-20-2006, 07:45 AM   #31
deragheth

I run stock steel wheels with the tires in my sig. They are very good tires and cheap. There are 2 different versions of the Kumho A/T's so make sure you know which ones you are getting if you buy them. The version I dont have is very similar to the BFG A/T's, the ones I have are a little more open tread design and do very well in all conditions. Yoko geolanders are very good tires as well but do not wear very well. The duelers suck I had the older style on my blazer before and I hated them, and recently had the revo's on my wifes rodeo. The revos are a little better but I would not recommend anyone buy them and I would not buy them again. BFG A/T's are nice for snow, packed soil and anything hard but do not clean out well at all in mud. Also the toyo open countrys are nice and have abilities comparable to their BFG counter parts.

31x10.5x15 Definity MT's, MSD #8228 coil
Herculined interior, Nates 4x4 front winch bumper and custom rear bumper
[url]http://astore.amazon.com/mycheropages-20[/url]
deragheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee xj
Dunlop Mud Rovers for the win. Their trail performance is comparable to the big name brands, and they're under $100 a piece for 31's. The lugs are big and nobby and spread apart. Exactly what is wanted in a M/T. They ride good on the road, a little bumpy when you're excellerating from a stop. Light hummmmmm... but when you get an M/T, who doesn't want that recognizable hummmmm. I like being heard coming down the street. Hasn't snowed here all winter so i can't comment on snow performance. They grip well in all situations.
dunlop mud rovers have poor tread life, and terrible side-wall strength.

You get what you pay for
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #33
Broklee

33x12.50 BFG Muds on 15x10 wheelz.

WHITE OUT, but for my next set it'll be WHITE IN
Broklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #34
waggy6662001

well i have a set of four bfg at's 31/10.50 for sale 300 plus shipping if you want them brand new got them and havent put them on so i'm sellin them
waggy6662001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #35
Jeepin_XJ_101
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dunlop Mud Rovers for the win. Their trail performance is comparable to the big name brands, and they're under $100 a piece for 31's. The lugs are big and nobby and spread apart. Exactly what is wanted in a M/T. They ride good on the road, a little bumpy when you're excellerating from a stop. Light hummmmmm... but when you get an M/T, who doesn't want that recognizable hummmmm. I like being heard coming down the street. Hasn't snowed here all winter so i can't comment on snow performance. They grip well in all situations.
I think they do great in the snow. Ive taken a trail in the snow with deep mud pits and they gripped like no other. Got through the trail in 2wd whereas everyone else had to use 4wd. Plus on the snowy streets its a lot harder to slide around in them.

But Im a SS Bogger kinda guy. As far as Im concerned they are one of the best tires you can buy for mild to hardcore offroad. Not much for street life though.

I ran 33" MT Baja Claws as my first tire and they got grip even when they had like 20%-10% tread left in them. I loved those tires. Wish I had them instead of the Mud Rovers, but I had to buy some M/Ts in a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo

You get what you pay for
I disagree with everything you just said

2005 WK 4.7L 3.5" RK, 255/75R17 on Rubi Wheels
1992 YJ 4.0L 5" ProComp on 35x12.50 Trxus MT
Jeepin_XJ_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #36
01JeepXJ

I have 33x12.50x15 Trxus MT's

Awesome tires !!!!!
**SOLD **

Last edited by 01JeepXJ; 10-29-2007 at 01:48 PM..
01JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
Atl XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deragheth
I run stock steel wheels with the tires in my sig. They are very good tires and cheap. There are 2 different versions of the Kumho A/T's so make sure you know which ones you are getting if you buy them. The version I dont have is very similar to the BFG A/T's, the ones I have are a little more open tread design and do very well in all conditions. Yoko geolanders are very good tires as well but do not wear very well. The duelers suck I had the older style on my blazer before and I hated them, and recently had the revo's on my wifes rodeo. The revos are a little better but I would not recommend anyone buy them and I would not buy them again. BFG A/T's are nice for snow, packed soil and anything hard but do not clean out well at all in mud. Also the toyo open countrys are nice and have abilities comparable to their BFG counter parts.
Threads like this are always interesting to me since you see so many differing opinions....

I've ran three of the tires you mentioned in this thread. T make a long story short, I love my Revos, I hated my Geolanders because of their terrible traction accelerating and stopping in the rain. I liked the BFG A/Ts except for their wet weather performance. They werent horrible but they arent the best in the wet either. I took them off and sold them when they were still pretty new after I hydroplaned (when there was no reason I should have) with them.

Why did you hate the Revos so much? They're the best tire I've found for combining good onroad manners and treadlife while still having good offroad traction (for an A/T). Plus, I've never seen an A/T that comes close to the wet traction they have. My XJ is my DD and I drive it 50+ miles a day, often in the rain, so thats very important to me.
Atl XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #38
tdbutler

i woudl go with bfgoodrich mud terrains over all terrains personally. i run them for now, and they have never led me wrong, agressive, self-cleaning, and not too bad on the road either. the new sidewalls that they applied in the past year or so are pretty damn good too
tdbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #39
cherokee xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo

You get what you pay for
Actually, you can't tell any obvious wear on mine what so ever. The only wear noticable on any of the tires is when i rode around after the lift without a good realignment. A review article by a reputable company (can't remember which) even commented how durrable of a tire they were. No sidewall tears afer constant hard abuse.
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #40
deragheth

Well when I had my revos I thought they handled very poorly on the highway in quick manuvers. It seemed like the sidewalls were too soft. I gotta say if you live in an area with lots of snow though the yoko geolandars are great, they chop pretty bad after 25-30k but they are great for snow and handle mud pretty well for an A/T. I really have to say the best bang for your buck has to be the Kumho's though. I am really impressed with them overall. Sure they are not a TSL or anything but compared to the tire store readily available stuff they are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl XJ
Threads like this are always interesting to me since you see so many differing opinions....

I've ran three of the tires you mentioned in this thread. T make a long story short, I love my Revos, I hated my Geolanders because of their terrible traction accelerating and stopping in the rain. I liked the BFG A/Ts except for their wet weather performance. They werent horrible but they arent the best in the wet either. I took them off and sold them when they were still pretty new after I hydroplaned (when there was no reason I should have) with them.

Why did you hate the Revos so much? They're the best tire I've found for combining good onroad manners and treadlife while still having good offroad traction (for an A/T). Plus, I've never seen an A/T that comes close to the wet traction they have. My XJ is my DD and I drive it 50+ miles a day, often in the rain, so thats very important to me.
31x10.5x15 Definity MT's, MSD #8228 coil
Herculined interior, Nates 4x4 front winch bumper and custom rear bumper
[url]http://astore.amazon.com/mycheropages-20[/url]
deragheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #41
Atl XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deragheth
Well when I had my revos I thought they handled very poorly on the highway in quick manuvers. It seemed like the sidewalls were too soft. I gotta say if you live in an area with lots of snow though the yoko geolandars are great, they chop pretty bad after 25-30k but they are great for snow and handle mud pretty well for an A/T. I really have to say the best bang for your buck has to be the Kumho's though. I am really impressed with them overall. Sure they are not a TSL or anything but compared to the tire store readily available stuff they are great.
That might just be a Rodeo thing, shocks, or improper tire pressure thing because on my XJ the Revos/Bilstein combination handles surprisingly well. Much better than the Yokahamas did. I had the BFGs on my old Blazer. I've actually found that the Revos do better in the snow than the Geolanders did but I also dont deal with much deep snow. But in the snow/ice I've had them in, they do surprisingly well. Not even much need for 4wd.
Atl XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #42
JeepN2

I ran Dunlops Mud Rovers and had two sticks go thru the sides. The teadlife was good 20K.

BFG's Mud Terrains did great in all conditions. I found them to be real noisy. All of my tires I have siped. Mud terrains I have the inner lugs siped and this makes them perform great in the snow/road conditions.

Goodyear MTR's did well as for as traction and if I spun them in the Mud they worked great there too. They did wear quick however, 15K out of them and thats rotating every 3K.

All of the above Tires I rotated every 3 k period!

All terrains have been the BFG/Land terrains and they work great on the wifes Jeep, she travels snowy roads all winter long.

I ran a set of Cooper Discovery a/t about 10 years ago but only got like 18K out of them so never bought another set. They did take rocks and catus without puncture.

I had a set of yoko all terrains that would constantly go flat from prickly pear thorns in the same location the Cooper's or BFG's had no issues. I got rid of them at around 8k due to numerous flats

I've run BFG's A/T on my rigs for the past 5 or so years and love them. I too have them siped and they perform great on snowy roads and if I air them down a bit do great in the mud when I can spin them. I think they are the best All terrain tire around. I've been getting around 40K from a set and thats rotating every 6k without missing.

Well have fun and Happy JeepN
07 Blue Compass 4x4
JeepN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #43
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually, you can't tell any obvious wear on mine what so ever. The only wear noticable on any of the tires is when i rode around after the lift without a good realignment. A review article by a reputable company (can't remember which) even commented how durrable of a tire they were. No sidewall tears afer constant hard abuse.
hard use is relative. Your definition of hard use and mine probably differ quite a bit.

I have a buddy who runs them and says the tread life is just aweful. They're super soft, which is awesome for rocks.........but the sidewalls are bad, which is bad for rocks.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #44
cherokee xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well i'll just say they are fine for what i use them for. No problems yet Maybe my opinion will change when these tires are done for.
Unread 03-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #45
JBACA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I run BFG AT 31x10.5x15 and they are great on and off road. I was just in a foot of snow this weekend and they did very well on snow/ wet surfaces. Mud: i cant really say they do well because the last time I was in deep mud, I had almost bald BFG ATs and they kinda sucked. This past weekend I did hit some mud and this new set did ok, but I didn't do too much in the mud and it was for short periods of time. So yea,, it depends on what kind of driving you'll be doing on them.
JBACA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.