what kinda tires are u running/ or do u suggest? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > what kinda tires are u running/ or do u suggest?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
red96jeep

what kinda tires are u running/ or do u suggest?

....well what kinda tires do u all like and what rim sizes and wheel sizes.

Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running siped Wildcat EXTs in 30x9.50 LT15 on stock steelies. They're good off road, but they don't hook up on the pavement at all.
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
JCwarrior88

31x10.50 BFG AT's on stock rims.

I love my stock rims, but I wish I could have a wider stance.
As for the BFG's, they are great. They are awesome in snow and hold their own in the mud which I was suprised with.

Green Jeep Club Member #143
JCwarrior88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
dsarraf

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I also am having a problem picking a tire brand. I am torn between BFG and ProComp. I am looking into 31's.
dsarraf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go BFG. ProComp seems to be the preferred brand of mall crawlers everywhere.
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
SpoonyGSR

br goodrich all terrains.....extremely capable and practical...i would never change

1994 ZJ 4x4 4.0 3.75 rough country edlebrock shocks 32x11.50r15 bfg a/t's
SpoonyGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
XJ Wagon

I just installed a RE6030 lift and 31's. I went with Bridstone Dueler A/T Revo on Bassett steel wheels. So far I like them. They had good reviews on Tirerack's website.
XJ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
russkrs

I have been running walmarts All terrain liberators for the last 70k, and love them... and before that I had a set on my Ranger for over 60k before selling the truck.... I just bought some Mickey Thompson baja belted HPs... we'll see how they turn out.

I highly recommend the walmart tires... but I think it is Uniroyal that has their tag on them now.
Unread 03-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGSR
br goodrich all terrains.....extremely capable and practical...i would never change
If you didnt say this first, i was probably type the exact same thing.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i run 32x11.5 kumho muds (road venture or something like that) on 15x8 rims.

so far I like them, great in mud (gotten out of every situation where I thought i would have been sunk) loud on the road, hook up good on the road too. Pretty nice in the rocks too.

I previously ran 235/75/15 cooper discoverer at's, great all around tire, easily get 60k miles out of them, good in snow, decent in mud, ok on rocks, handled great on the road.
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
noliepolie

BFG A/T's suck in mud. OK for everything else, but NOT MUDDDDDD!!! Just my .02
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #12
Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96jeep
....well what kinda tires do u all like and what rim sizes and wheel sizes.
Can't believe no one has asked yet but what kind of wheelin are ya gonna do?

If no mud is invloved at all you will get a lot of votes for the BFG AT's. Great tire but a bit spendy. They do great everywhere as long as there is no mud since they don't clean out well at all.

If it was me I would pick the BFG MT over the AT even if I never saw mud. They seem to get more miles, drive better, more aggressive, and plain look better.

However, if you want to think out of the box a bit you can save some money. BFG's are spendy, no doubt. If you like their MT look into the Kumho Venture MT. They are quite a bit cheaper and appear to have all the same characteristics of the BFG, including tread life. Haven't heard a complaint about them yet.

If you want something more aggressive look into the Trxus MT. Its a heavy tire that balances poorly but is real aggressive and still cheaper than the BFG's but a little more than the Kumho's.

If you are mainly gonna drive pavement get the Kumho's or throw down for the BFG's.

[U]My vehicles[/U]
97 Cherokee: 4.0, RE Lift, 33" Trxus MT's, Yukon 4.56's, and locked front and rear...
87 Mazda Extra cab p/u: 2.5" body drop and full air ride
99 Honda Civic SI: Electron Blue Pearl - [color=red]Sold[/color][/size]
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
Bosco01Cherokee

I run 31" SS Thornbirds in my garage. Haha. After I get that RE 4.5" they're goin' back on. Oh yeah, 15" Rockcrawler steels with I think 4" backspacing. Love the black rim/tire look!
Bosco01Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
white98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Right now i am in kinda the same situation. i just got my lift, and i will be putting it on within the next week or two, and i cannot decide between the Bridgestone Dueler M/T, or the Cooper STT(New Design) they are both similar in price, and i am favoring the cooper based on what i have heard for over all performance on street and off road. Also, i do see that bridgestone's dueler A/T Revo is tirerack.com's #1 tire. that is a possibility too. i would like some help on this decision, so lets hear your opinions and experiences with the tires. thanks
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

I'm running some 32x11.50 BFG MT's on 15x7 rims. So far so good, its amazing what they can do, with the locker in the rear, there are a lot of times that 2wd is good enough to get through stuff.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.