this is what i bought. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > this is what i bought.

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
jesse12801
2000 XJ Cherokee 

this is what i bought.

I have driven it a grand total of about a block.Not on the road yet since it's summer and this is my winter blizzard vehicle...it's got a water leak somewhere around the windshield that I posted a thread on already,rusted out rockers and now it also has black paint spots on where the rust is to maybe slow it down....and son of gun..I already love the damn thing.

jesse12801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You're in for an adventure.

Best way to slow rust down is to wire brush the scale off, hit it with a tanic-acid based converter (there's a Jasco one in a white bottle/brown label you can get next to the paint thinner in Home Depot/Lowe's that I use) and paint over it.

The rockers can be replaced with welded tubing if you've got the ability. LOTS of threads on it here.

Best of luck!
Unread 06-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Okay for those rust spots here is an effective way to keep them at bay. Pick up this Navel Jelly. http://www.lowes.com/pd_117792-69-01...8&kpid=3339340

Take off that spray paint. Put some of this on there. The rust will turn black. Then paint over it.

Here is a very good write-up on the rock replacement.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/.../index138.html
Unread 06-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
jesse12801
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! I'll look into that rust stopping stuff. My mechanic is looking it over and doing so maintenance. There is a water leak somewhere I'll need to tackle after this.
Unread 06-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
jesse12801
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Here is a very good write-up on the rock replacement.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/.../index138.html
Unread 06-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

moar pics
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse12801 View Post
Thanks guys! I'll look into that rust stopping stuff. My mechanic is looking it over and doing so maintenance. There is a water leak somewhere I'll need to tackle after this.
In my experience those are usually either a bad hose or a water pump going (there's a weep hole on the front to warn you the seal is going). Might be a place to start eyeballing if nothing else.
Unread 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

In my experience those are usually either a bad hose or a water pump going (there's a weep hole on the front to warn you the seal is going). Might be a place to start eyeballing if nothing else.
He just said "water leak" so possibly not engine related.
If so I'd check the windsheild and rubber boots for the wires in the hatch.
Unread 06-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
jesse12801
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got the jeep back from the mechanic. The noise was the belt not tight enough. The leak is still there so having the windshield looked at tomorrow hopefully. Overall in pretty good shape despite rust. The jeep is loud as hell going down the road. Must be the tires. Looking for different ones for summer/ spring / fall driving. Keep the ones on there for winter.
Unread 06-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #10
jesse12801
2000 XJ Cherokee 

new windshield going in Saturday.It's very "loose" as far as windshields go.New muffler tomorrow, front drive shaft Next week.
Unread 06-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #11
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
new windshield going in Saturday.It's very "loose" as far as windshields go.New muffler tomorrow, front drive shaft Next week.
It's not all that hard with a razor to cut out your old windshield, I suggest doing this or have the person putting it in cut it out and come back the next day to put the new one in, this gives you time to sand any rust away and give your windsheild frame a nice coat of paint. I used self etching primer then the windsheild guy used some black paint, he said it was to help the glue stuff adhere better. Three years later there's no rust or leaks.
Unread 06-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
jesse12801
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It's not all that hard with a razor to cut out your old windshield, I suggest doing this or have the person putting it in cut it out and come back the next day to put the new one in, this gives you time to sand any rust away and give your windsheild frame a nice coat of paint. I used self etching primer then the windsheild guy used some black paint, he said it was to help the glue stuff adhere better. Three years later there's no rust or leaks.
Unread 06-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't have time for stuff like that.
Ummmmm.....You may have bought the wrong vehicle
Unread 06-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #14
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

Ummmmm.....You may have bought the wrong vehicle
Ya, if the woman in your life doesn't accuse you of loving the Jeep more, you're not spending the right amount of time with the Jeep.
Unread 06-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post

Ya, if the woman in your life doesn't accuse you of loving the Jeep more, you're not spending the right amount of time with the Jeep.
Exactly. If you ever get the ultimatum of "its the jeep or me" and you choose her, that's a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.