What the hell are these, and other questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What the hell are these, and other questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Gruye
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What the hell are these, and other questions

Let me hit you with a stupid question; what are these?
The mystery deepened when I asked a mechanic, and he had no idea.

My guess is that they prevent the coil from compressing too far.

Front Driver:

Front Passenger:

When I replaced all my shocks, they were pretty much gone. I could compress them with my hands alone. I'm guessing that riding on just the coil, I bottomed out at some point, and broke the rubber bit off the passenger side pictured.

Worth repairing, or does it even matter?

As for my other questions, even after four new shocks, the ride isn't the best. I contributed that to the solid axles and unbalanced tires, but would adding a steering stabilizer help reduce some of the road vibration? Recommended?

And finally, my mechanical fan sounds very loud for the first minute of driving on start up, like a semi-truck. After being in gear for a minute or so, it quiets down to regular operational sound. It doesn't bother me, I actually like it and wish it would always be that loud, but I'm curious.

I appreciate any help, love the Jeep

Unread 10-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

You're right about the tubes in the coils. They're the bumpstops, which prevent the shocks from bottoming out all the way and prevent your tires from rubbing the inside of the fender.

Compressing the shocks with your hands is normal, as I could do that with my brand new sportier shocks. It shouldn't be easy, however. You got new ones, though, so you're fine anyway.

Which shocks did you get? If you got cheap ones, that could contribute to your poor ride quality. Also, I'm sure your rear leaves are sagging and possibly S shaped, which would worsen the ride. A steering stabilizer wouldn't help that. A steering stabilizer is more of a band aid for wobble in the steering, which should be addressed properly anyway.

As for the mech fan, I'm not sure. Mine is usually louder on a cold start. Could just have to do with the bearings warming up or something. Not 100% sure.

Enjoy the Jeep man. There's much to learn, much fun to have, and much blood to shed on stupid fixes.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

those are the factory rubber bumper stops. Sounds like a new set of springs are in order for you if you replaced the shocks. I would also recommend new control arm bushings to improve the ride quality.
Unread 10-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You might want to find another mechanic if he doesn't know what abump stop is. Enjoy the new jeep!
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruye View Post
And finally, my mechanical fan sounds very loud for the first minute of driving on start up, like a semi-truck. After being in gear for a minute or so, it quiets down to regular operational sound. It doesn't bother me, I actually like it and wish it would always be that loud, but I'm curious.
Yeah, if your mechanic had no idea what a bumpstop was, run away and never look back.

That's normal. The fluid in the clutch settles to the bottom when parked for longer periods, and it takes a few moments after startup for the fluid to be spun back into proper position within the clutch.

A fully engaged fan will always be that loud, but it will suck a few hp's and may even impact your MPG slightly. If you really wanted a loud fan 24/7, you could modify it to be fixed rather than on a clutch. I personally loathe the sound of a roaring fan.

Ride quality is a combination of tires, shocks, and springs. An XJ will never ride like a luxury car. P or C rated tires (touring tires if you really want to go for the gold), stock or Old Man Emu springs, and OME or Monroe SensaTrac shocks tend to be the general recommendation for best ride quality.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Gruye
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you everybody.

That wasn't my mechanic, I've mostly been able to fix all the broken bits myself, but every now and then I walk down to the Quicklube and pick their brains for fun. One of them has a nice GTO I like looking at too, so there's a reason for some fresh air.

I'm going to be replacing the fuel pump and addressing a front wheel squeek (when I turn) this weekend or next, fun fixer-upper for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.