What to do with the "new" Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What to do with the "new" Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What to do with the "new" Cherokee

So here is my new-to-me 2000 Cherokee Sport.

I bought it primarily to give my son something to drive to/from school and soccer practice his upcoming senior year.

That said, I suspect it's also going to become my "fun" ride.

Now to be clear, I am not going mudding or rock crawling with this. Period. But I DO want to be able to take that long-forgotten, neglected back country road. Bouncing all nimbly-bimbly from rock to rock is out of the question, but I can see tackling rutted out roads.

So what sort of mods should I be looking at (besides a roof rack LOL)?

Thanks!

AllenTC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would do budget boost lift 2" spacers and ADD A LEAF, throw on some 31" all terrains good set of shocks.. good to go.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is "ADD A LEAF" like a brand name? Kinda new to this. LOL
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Add a leafs are springs added to your rear leaf springs to increase ride height rather than replacing the springs outright with new ones.

If it's a DD first and foremost, start there. Performance mods for fuel economy and maintenance come to mind.

I'd start with replacing all the fluids first. Seafoam treatment for the oil, intake, and gas systems should help bring back some fuel economy that's been lost by a lack of upkeep. I'd also backflush the cooling system and refill with 50/50 mix of green coolant and distilled water. You'll want to watch how hot you get it since the 0331 heads on 00-01 XJs are prone to cracking if they overheat. They're not made of glass like people make them out to be, but it's something to keep in mind.

As far as mods, cold air intake (through the cowl, not a k&n style filter just left in the engine bay where it sucks in hot air and does nothing), mpg performance exhaust header, and a quality high flow cat system should all help gain a few extra MPGs.

Cherokees are quite capable offroad on their own stock. 2" OME budget boost will give you improved ride quality as well as some extra room for 30s or 31s. After that, some basic recovery is a good idea. Rear class III hitch and factory tow hooks up front are good, cheap options that will give you front and rear recovery points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, cool! I can scratch some of that off the list already. Fluids have all been swapped out/checked. The previous owner was a mechanic and has apparently taken really good care of the Jeep. I've only driven about 50 miles in this thing, so I have nothing to prove it yet, but he claims to have averaged 23 mpg (which I thought was really good!) on a trip to Ohio he took a couple of weeks before I bought it.

Now this CAI thing.....is that like a bolt-on type mod, or will I need to be Sawzalling through the hood?

I have a hitch mount on the back...not sure what class it is. No tow hooks though.

Oh, and does OME = Old Man Emu? LOL
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yes OME=OLD MAN EMU, COLD AIR INTAKE is a like a new intake filter replaces the old box plastic style usually with a METAL TUBE thus cooling the air.. THOR makes one that does require cutting and all that but they have cheaper one... just invest in a decent stock air filter for now.. nothing with paper pref. seafoam like above post...good luck.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTC2 View Post
Okay, cool! I can scratch some of that off the list already. Fluids have all been swapped out/checked. The previous owner was a mechanic and has apparently taken really good care of the Jeep. I've only driven about 50 miles in this thing, so I have nothing to prove it yet, but he claims to have averaged 23 mpg (which I thought was really good!) on a trip to Ohio he took a couple of weeks before I bought it.

Now this CAI thing.....is that like a bolt-on type mod, or will I need to be Sawzalling through the hood?

I have a hitch mount on the back...not sure what class it is. No tow hooks though.

Oh, and does OME = Old Man Emu? LOL
23 stock highway if it's been maintained is believable.

You'll have to drill a hole through the cowl, but other than that you shouldn't even need any tools. It will relocate a cone filter to the cowl on the passenger side so it sucks in air from there rather than the grill or the engine bay. They're a little noisy, but it provides a noticeable performance gain.

Spectre and Thor are both good brands for them.

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
23 stock highway if it's been maintained is believable.

You'll have to drill a hole through the cowl, but other than that you shouldn't even need any tools. It will relocate a cone filter to the cowl on the passenger side so it sucks in air from there rather than the grill or the engine bay. They're a little noisy, but it provides a noticeable performance gain.

Spectre and Thor are both good brands for them.
Is there a notable mileage increase from this?
And did either one solve the quick filter blockage issues they have had?
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Is there a notable mileage increase from this?
And did either one solve the quick filter blockage issues they have had?
Define notable?

If you're casual about your gas MPGs you may or may not notice any gains. However if you're someone who calculates your MPG properly and pays attention to it you'll notice 1-2 mpg increase. It may not sound like much but combine it with other mods for the same purpose and it adds up as do the fuel savings.

Plus, you're sucking in cooler, cleaner air which is better for the motor. You're also moving your intake almost 2 foot higher than the stock location which is good for water crossings and keeping water out of the motor in rare instances like floods.

Quote:
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Define notable?

If you're casual about your gas MPGs you may or may not notice any gains. However if you're someone who calculates your MPG properly and pays attention to it you'll notice 1-2 mpg increase. It may not sound like much but combine it with other mods for the same purpose and it adds up as do the fuel savings.

Plus, you're sucking in cooler, cleaner air which is better for the motor. You're also moving your intake almost 2 foot higher than the stock location which is good for water crossings and keeping water out of the motor in rare instances like floods.
I was just reading on the naxja site how those air filters get clogged up real fast though.
A mpg isn't bad though, although like you said I would do it more to get the airbox away from possible water.
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have to confess, I dig the snorkels, but I can't justify doing that for the type of driving I imagine. But the cowl CAI thing I see.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
I was just reading on the naxja site how those air filters get clogged up real fast though.
A mpg isn't bad though, although like you said I would do it more to get the airbox away from possible water.
They've got oil in them for that reason. You can simply remove them and wash them.

Quote:
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't bother with the intake. Not worth the $200 for a stock rig that will never see water near the front bumper. No performance increase either.

OME lift with springs, full leaf packs and nitrocharger shocks
31's on stock wheels with some 1" spacers maybe, or aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing

Throw a fancy bumper on it with a winch or a rear tire carrier if you want the cool look, but not really necessary for dirt roads.
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
AllenTC2
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't mind spending $ on stuff that helps with reliability and POTENTIAL needs. Come a flood (we have them here in WV), the ability to ford higher-than-usual water might be desirable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.