What to do to keep it going a while longer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What to do to keep it going a while longer

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
marianl
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What to do to keep it going a while longer

So I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4wd, a little over 115,000 miles (it is raining & I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to check the exact mileage). I bought it from a dealer in 2004 with 45,000 miles, in order to be able to negotiate, among other things, my unpaved half-mile western Mass. driveway before the snowplow came. I never thought it would become part of my identity, but it has, and even though I've no real need for it here in Georgia, I would love to keep it going as long as possible.

It has had no serious problems other than needing every single mechanical part of the AC replaced. It has had regular oil changes & I've taken a responsible approach to other preventive maintenance matters. BAck at 50,500 miles the dealer said they found loose ball joints, but I elected not to fix and no one's mentioned them since. It has a new fuel pump (apparently rodents ate the wiring, no hilbilly jokes please). Of course, the CEL comes on at the drop of a hat. At one point the dealer suspected a blown head gasket, but a tune up & cleaning the throttle body kept it off for 6 months & there were none of the typical symptoms, just misfiring cylinders 2 & 3. The CEL came on again over Thanksgiving after a rough idle at restart in the midst of a long road trip, and after doing some reading, I'm suspecting that this most recent incident could be that "heat soak" problem described in TSB 1803103 (I haven't had the codes read yet, but this is something it has done a time or two before).

But here's my question.

Tomorrow I'm going to the mechanic (I've decided to abandon the dealer, who just keeps trying to interest me in a new car) and assuming that I don't have something hideously wrong, I want to have them look at everything that possibly could be an issue with this particular vehicle. So give me your best advice on how to keep my dear Cherokee on the road and feeling secure a little while longer.

Thanks!

marianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Replace the 0331 head casting... the problem of it cracking is a little over played on the internet but from what i've read if you get unlucky enough for it to crack, its not a fun one to fix. I have the 0331 head casting and 180k miles so far.. Have them check steering components, u joints, etc. Check control arm bushings. Check the evap canister..
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Oregon187
too broke to build

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Your smartest move so far was abandoning the Stealership. At 115,000 miles it is just getting broken in. As for the misfiring on 2 and 3, my '01 does it after restart all the time. Like you said, that is most likely the "heat soak" fuel injector issue. Make sure to keep an eye on the Anti-freeze level and the color of your oil. If the Anti-freeze starts to disappear and it's not on the ground, or if the oil looks like chocolate milk, then you will need to have the head looked at. A mechanic should be able to pull the valve cover and see if there is a crack.

Above all, just love it and it will last for a long time. And stay away from stealerships.
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
robman8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

often times jeep owners find that if you mod the piss out of it, then most of the weaker oem parts are replaced.....lol sounds like you've done the right thing so far staying away from the stealership
robman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the CPS. About 120k is what I've seen posted as an estimate of life span for the OEM part.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , heat soak , recommendations

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.