What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 5744 - JeepForum.com
 250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #86146 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 PM
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Order springs/leafs/shocks and a tcase skid for it. Also installed a stock gas tank skid on it!

Attached Images

luck favors the prepared - anticanman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #86147 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 01:10 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Order springs/leafs/shocks and a tcase skid for it. Also installed a stock gas tank skid on it!
So much prettier than mine lol

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #86148 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 AM
un4gvn1
Web Wheeler

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
My "Genuine Mopar" oil pressure sending unit arrived in today's mail, so tonight I have an oil pressure gauge that isn't pegged for the first time in probably two months.

Got to poking around under the hood with a co-worker that I don't work with very often, he found another very small vacuum leak. The elbow from the nipple on the manifold to the valve cover was soft, and when any pressure was applied would leak. Replaced with better fittings, another one gone.

After months of trying to get around to it, I finally got my JKS Upper rear shock mount installed.

This one

Two issues I'm going to have to mention to 'em. 1) The shock studs have 5/8" fine threads while the supplied prevailing torque nuts are coarse thread. Luckily, nylock nuts fit (just barely). 2) The steel lines from the fuel tank are now pinned between the floor & the shock bracket. Might be a non-issue, but it doesn't seem right to me. This isn't mentioned in the printed instructions so, I'm gonna ask.

The good, the new shock upper bracket allowed me to pull 1" of bumpstop in the rear.

Gratuitous flex shots...

That last pic gives a good idea of why limit straps are a good idea with longarms. You can't tell from this angle, but the spring is unseated by a good 2" at this point. Also, if you look closely at this last pic you can see that I'm almost 2" from bottoming the rear shock when hard on the bumpstop.

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #86149 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 07:22 AM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
****, I'll hammer one out for ya for $10. Dp or not, unless you'd like the sentimental value
See I think thats part of why people get worked up about the price: they think its possible to make copies of my stuff in their garage cheap and quick. I am very sympathetic to that mentality because I'm cheap as hell, too. I own an xj after all

There are a couple of companies out there that make little sheetmetal cutouts that screw into the console and provide contura holes. And theyre inexpensive. And people confuse that with being the same as my ash tray pods that are contoured to match the console, have the switches angled towards the driver, and require no drilling.

But if you want to use factory switches, it's impossible to make one at home. This whole thing got started because shooptube asked where he could buy a 4 switch police package panel. They're $250 the once or twice a year they pop up on ebay. So I took six months and a couple hundred dollars to design one that can be had for significantly less than that.

It's still too much for some people but I can't help that. I dont have the $60k it would cost for the injection molds so that I could crank them out for $4 a piece a thousand at a time. I'd love to do that, I really would, but it's just not feasible. So there you go.

I'm a hobbyist, just like the rest of you. This is my contribution back to the community.

(oh and the thing about saying shoop could have an aluminum one for $450? Thats how much it would cost to get one made by the laser robot overlords and is why i don't offer it as an option. Its ridiculous. **** that, indeed!)

Design previews and mad kid pics on
post #86150 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 AM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post

See I think thats part of why people get worked up about the price: they think its possible to make copies of my stuff in their garage cheap and quick. I am very sympathetic to that mentality because I'm cheap as hell, too. I own an xj after all

There are a couple of companies out there that make little sheetmetal cutouts that screw into the console and provide contura holes. And theyre inexpensive. And people confuse that with being the same as my ash tray pods that are contoured to match the console, have the switches angled towards the driver, and require no drilling.

But if you want to use factory switches, it's impossible to make one at home. This whole thing got started because shooptube asked where he could buy a 4 switch police package panel. They're $250 the once or twice a year they pop up on ebay. So I took six months and a couple hundred dollars to design one that can be had for significantly less than that.

It's still too much for some people but I can't help that. I dont have the $60k it would cost for the injection molds so that I could crank them out for $4 a piece a thousand at a time. I'd love to do that, I really would, but it's just not feasible. So there you go.

I'm a hobbyist, just like the rest of you. This is my contribution back to the community.

(oh and the thing about saying shoop could have an aluminum one for $450? Thats how much it would cost to get one made by the laser robot overlords and is why i don't offer it as an option. Its ridiculous. **** that, indeed!)
My apologies, I meant no insult to your effort or the quality of your product. They're awesome and we all know what you went through to perfect your idea.
Let's just say that for $10, I'll make you a $10 version of it, to the extent that anybody could. It won't have the fit or finish of your product, for sure! But how much do most people wanna spend on their cheap XJ?
As I said, you did develop a fine product and I wish you the best on sales to recoup your investment, as I've already suggested your switch panels to 2 local guys as of yesterday. Either way, mass or minimal production wavering product cost, you run a risk of taking a loss.
wizardPC likes this.

D3<!L!>3D
post #86151 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 01:57 PM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know if anyone's looking for a toolbox for the house, vehicle or whatever. But a new guy at work bought one of these and it caught my eye. It's the perfect recovery gear box as well as tools for when I'm out. It's 34.95 at Home Depot. Has built in corner pockets, removable shelf. I have it loaded with tools, breaker bars, straps, ratchet straps, gaskets & such with plenty of room left over under the shelf side.

Name:  image-23435867.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  594.3 KB
post #86152 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 02:09 PM
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Went to pick and pull to grab some rear shoulder belts for my kids, the po got rid of them in favor or lap belts which I didt care for. I also picked up a throttle cable from the same rig since mine has been freezing solid at night!
Attached Images

post #86153 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 PM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87
Went to pick and pull to grab some rear shoulder belts for my kids, the po got rid of them in favor or lap belts which I didt care for. I also picked up a throttle cable from the same rig since mine has been freezing solid at night!
Zac what's the info on that rack in the back?
post #86154 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy
Zac what's the info on that rack in the back?
not sure it's was in my parts rig so I just tossed it in mine. It's a cargo/dog separator!

post #86155 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 PM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87
not sure it's was in my parts rig so I just tossed it in mine. It's a cargo/dog separator!
I like it. But in my XJ my subs are in the back with my 33" duratrac spare on 15x10 beadlock so I don't think I could get one lol
post #86156 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 06:21 PM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post

I like it. But in my XJ my subs are in the back with my 33" duratrac spare on 15x10 beadlock so I don't think I could get one lol
I've got the same one. It has two main legs that would clear your spare. It also did a pretty nice job of minimizing the creaking from the body flex. $4 at the thrift store, $40 at Walmart

D3<!L!>3D
post #86157 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 06:43 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post
For my mutt I got a roll of that snow fence stuff (it looks like plastic chicken wire), cut it to fit and put some of those "climbing" clips on each corner. it would clip into the tie down hooks in the back up top and to my headrests at the bottom. Light, didn't take up any floor space and kept the mutts back there. Plus when I needed space I could just roll it up to hang from the tie down loops or unclip those and toss it in the garage.

it wasn't stout enough to restrain something heavy like a toolbox in an accident, but it kept dogs in place or would keep suitcases and bedding and such piled on top of my tools and such from sliding into the backseat on road trips. Actual wire might even be strong enough for a safety net on moderately heavy stuff.

Just a thought.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #86158 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 PM
zte87
GIVE IT THE ONION

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Changed the oil in it and made a 30 dollar mistake when taking the oil filter off......live and learn lol!
Attached Images

post #86159 of 89020 Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 PM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Changed the oil in it and made a 30 dollar mistake when take the oil filter off......live and learn lol!
You have been initiated! Now just don't do it again, or it changes from initiation to stupidity

D3<!L!>3D
post #86160 of 89020 Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 AM
un4gvn1
Web Wheeler

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Still chasing the high idle. Idle is fine, until it's up to temp, then 1500rpm seems to be where she settles in (800 in gear).

So, tonight I cleaned the TB and upgraded the vac line to the MAP sensor.

Before cleaning.

Underside before cleaning.

This is where the IAC parked when I shut the engine off. Does this look right (or wrong) to anyone?

Homemade TB gasket, 1/16" Garlock (Gylon clone).

An "after" shot, you can see the 1/8" NPT tubing barb threaded into the port on the TB.

Overhead view of the clean TB. Nice.

If anyone with a Renix Jeep needs to replace the MAP sensor hose, the instructions are on Cruiser54's site.

THROTTLE BODY TO MAP SENSOR HOSE FIX

Oh, and the end result of all this?

Warm idle... 1500 rpm

I'm starting to think the IAC may be the culprit, but don't have the equipment to test that theory. Somewhere I have a second (used) IAC, I'll have to find it & swap to see if anything changes.

At least my power is back, and fuel consumption seems to be better, so that's all good.

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.