250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #86131 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 AM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube
What that wizard_pc is getting popular?
He's not making a lot of friends on that post. Some of the folks are being a weenie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #86132 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 03:21 AM
un4gvn1
Web Wheeler

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
OK, we've officially entered the "exercise in frustration" zone.

Chasing rich/high idle, remember?

Well, when I discovered the failing Fuel Pressure Regulator I was pretty jazzed, thought for sure this was going to be the big fix. Drove home with high hopes, Jeep seemed to be running a little better, nothing huge, but was holding speed w/ the cruise control better than it had.

Stopped for gas... High idle!

So, now I'm thinking..."TPS hasn't been adjusted after replacing the FPR, maybe that's the problem." Tonight, first order of business is adjust TPS. It adjusts fine, no 3500 rpm idle after resetting like before. It's all good, right?

Let it warm up a bit, 1500 rpm idle. Crap!

I'm going through Cruiser54's web page, one item at a time. One thing I haven't done yet is the Sensor Ground Upgrade.

SENSOR GROUND UPGRADE

Nothing to loose, so I do that. Cut & solder as per the instructions, even though my TPS ground had tested good. It can't hurt anything.

Fire up after finishing, 1500 rpm idle! Now I'm starting to get mad.

Grasping at straws now, I try this.

EGR Valve Test

No movement, but the idle is effected by manually opening the EGR.

No vacuum at the inner fender, at the EGR Solenoid. Start tracing. Sucking on vacuum tube gives unsatisfactory results. Seems plugged. Odd, I just replaced the vacuum harness with a new one from NAPA.

Check to make sure the fitting on the intake manifold isn't plugged, no, it's fine. Suck on the EGR hose from the manifold end... Easy draw! Massive vacuum leak.

Pull the halves of the new vacuum harness apart & find this (don't know how I didn't notice this when I put it together...)

(never mind the green crap, it's just some o-ring lube we use here at work)

Thankfully, I'm too much of a packrat to have thrown the old harness away. I was able to drill out a broken hose & glue one of the lines from the new harness in place.

The plugged sensation I was getting from the other end? One of the elbows of the new harness was completely plugged. Took quite a bit of careful digging with drill bits to get it open. I was then able to glue it back in place.

Long story longer...

After all this, EGR seems to be functioning as it should. So that's all good.

And my idle?

1500 rpm warm.

FML

I give up for today, disconnected battery & we'll see if the ECU straightens this out as it relearns fuel maps, etc.

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #86133 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 AM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post
He's not making a lot of friends on that post. Some of the folks are being a weenie
Since I don't have Facebook, let me guess: xj guys think it's too expensive

Design previews and mad kid pics on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #86134 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 AM
ladytex70
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Morning everyone...whoo hoo it's FRIDAY!!!!!! Miss Xj now has a new battery and new negative terminal, apparently it disintegrated when the tech took it off. I went with the Interstate MT-34 from Firestone; the red top is more battery than I need and more than I really wanted to spend. Let me say one thing...wow what a difference in starting, last night and this morning the Xj didn't want to start but this morning she fired right up...no hesitation at all.

On to the next on the Xj to do list....have a good weekend guys.
RedJeepster1 and un4gvn1 like this.
post #86135 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 AM
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
This came off like you were cooking on the front of your Jeep.
Hmm ... if we stretch the imagination . The grill was less than 10 feet away . I bet the XJ still smells like something good is being grilled ... LOL

1995 Cherokee Country .

Goes around , comes around .
post #86136 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 07:57 AM
NT7B
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I know you've said the Renix doesn't have a check engine light, but is there a connection of any kind for a scan tool? My professional curiosity is killing me on this "runs rich" problem, but I've never had an '88-ish Jeep in my bay at work. If I get some spare time today I'll have to do some research.
post #86137 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 AM
NT7B
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT7B View Post
I know you've said the Renix doesn't have a check engine light, but is there a connection of any kind for a scan tool? My professional curiosity is killing me on this "runs rich" problem, but I've never had an '88-ish Jeep in my bay at work. If I get some spare time today I'll have to do some research.
UN4GVN1, I guess "quick reply" doesn't link it to the post I was looking at. Learning something new here everyday

What I did to my XJ Yesterday: I got it on the local news! I had it in the shop for some exploratory surgery, when channel 9 came in and interviewed the boss-man about how the weather is affecting our business. My Heep was in the background during the interview.
The surgery is going fine, the patient is still "open." I want to replace the factory (broken) cluster with individual gauges from VDO. I needed to get in there to take some measurements and see how/if I can make them fit the way I have it imagined.
post #86138 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 AM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
There is a fellow enthusiast who has invented one. He makes a batch of them and then sells them on eBay for like $80.

https://www.facebook.com/nickintimefilms/

post #86139 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 02:26 PM
DirtyJeepGuy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC
Since I don't have Facebook, let me guess: xj guys think it's too expensive
Yep! They are. It's pathetic
post #86140 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 PM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeepGuy View Post

Yep! They are. It's pathetic
You are paying for quality. No complaints with mine. Too bad an aluminum one is out of the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #86141 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 05:40 PM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well its not out of the question technically, it would just cost you $450.

post #86142 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 07:33 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
Well its not out of the question technically, it would just cost you $450.
For a switch panel? **** that.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #86143 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 PM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

For a switch panel? **** that.
****, I'll hammer one out for ya for $10. Dp or not, unless you'd like the sentimental value

D3<!L!>3D
post #86144 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 PM
un4gvn1
Web Wheeler

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
I think the factory had a scan tool of some sort, but I'm having to do it the old fashioned way. One sensor at a time. Goes kind of like this...

1) Minutes or hours of observation and thinking (what could cause the issue).
2) Research (find test procedure for the sensor in mind, or other possible cause. ie: vacuum leak, etc)
3) Test sensor/seek cause (this usually involves a volt or ohm meter & specific steps)
4) Evaluate results, within spec?
5) If #4 is no, replace or repair. If #4 is yes, move on to step 6
6) Repeat steps 1 - 5 as many times as necessary.

It can get tedious, even frustrating, but in the end it will work out.

I covered some of my philosophy re: diagnostics & repair in my last post on the build thread.

Post 130

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

post #86145 of 89020 Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 PM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
****, I'll hammer one out for ya for $10. Dp or not, unless you'd like the sentimental value
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.