What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 3559 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 10-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #53371
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj
ANYONE WITH HELLLAS: I'm going to run the hella 500 in place of headlights, that being said should I run the driving lights with a further beam or do I run the fogs?
My 500s are the driving beam, and definitely don't throw light as far as the headlights. Brighter and wider, but no good distance. I think the fogs diffuse quite a bit faster. People used to flash hi beams at me constantly whenever I ran them on the street, even before it was lifted.

Unread 10-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #53372
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post

When we bought our XJ , it must have had 10w30 or something very light in it . There was a definite tappet tick .
I always change all fluids when I get a new to me vehicle . This one having 189K on the ticker , I figured the thing was a bit more than broke in . 20w50 has been the weight of choice since . That rocker tick is still there at 202K , but much less audible .
How are the cold morning starts? Does it struggle?
Is this gonna damage my oil pump from overworking it?
Am I gonna lose mpg's?
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #53373
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
How are the cold morning starts? Does it struggle?
Is this gonna damage my oil pump from overworking it?
Am I gonna lose mpg's?
We haven't noticed any problems and our battery is of unknown age . I know it must be at least 4 years old . If heavier oil was going to do any damage , we'd have seen it by now .
You might even see better mileage due to higher compression , but I would think that would be next to unnoticeable .
pdcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #53374
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post

We haven't noticed any problems and our battery is of unknown age . I know it must be at least 4 years old . If heavier oil was going to do any damage , we'd have seen it by now .
You might even see better mileage due to higher compression , but I would think that would be next to unnoticeable .
Thanks, that's some relief. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll probably continue to feel nervous about it till I get used to the feeling it has now.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #53375
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Thanks, that's some relief. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll probably continue to feel nervous about it till I get used to the feeling it has now.
15w40 isn't really very much heavier than 10w30 .

And , anytime after a fresh oil change the motor always runs smoother .
pdcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #53376
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinCowboy
I've got a rocker tick with 282K on the motor. I'm running 10w40. A family friend/ mechanic told me to throw a quart of ATF in there with the oil until the tick stops then do a full oil change. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it? Results?
You could always put it in and let it idle for 5 minutes or so then drain it. That's how those oil flushers work if I'm not mistaken.

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #53377
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj
Driving lights would be my choice in that case because they'll put light a lot further out than fogs.
I ordered some last night, we will see
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #53378
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoureverydayXJ

My 500s are the driving beam, and definitely don't throw light as far as the headlights. Brighter and wider, but no good distance. I think the fogs diffuse quite a bit faster. People used to flash hi beams at me constantly whenever I ran them on the street, even before it was lifted.
I believe I can aim them just right and avoid that. Not sure what Elat to put on the thing that just bolts up and works. Maybe some led pods
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #53379
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Installed the new poly bushings in the trackbar. Was a squeeze getting it all together and back in, probably would have helped to warm them up a bit. Drives much better! Haven't hit the highway yet, but it is much improved. Hopefully I get some decent life out of them.

Looking things over I found the steering box has a little slop. Time to go full hydro I suppose.
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #53380
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj
I believe I can aim them just right and avoid that. Not sure what Elat to put on the thing that just bolts up and works. Maybe some led pods
The ones I bought came as a full install kit that included a relay and switch. You could just tie in the wire that currently feeds the low beams to trigger the relay. Then everything will run as normal off the stock switch.

The harness that came with mine was made of a decent gauge wire too, 12 awg IIRC.
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #53381
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoureverydayXJ View Post
Blue LEDs are best LEDs. I used the wide angle SMDs and they are awesome! Note to others since you probably already know, the stock dimmer does not dim LEDs. The blue doesn't bother me, but a whiter color could be bothersome if you are sensitive to light at night.
I almost went with white leds until I considered it may be a touch too bright. The cool white I ordered is more of a baby blue so Im hoping it will be nice and sharp without being overpowering.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #53382
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Installed IRO hack-n-tap SYE.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...l#post17179186
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #53383
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

The ones I bought came as a full install kit that included a relay and switch. You could just tie in the wire that currently feeds the low beams to trigger the relay. Then everything will run as normal off the stock switch.

The harness that came with mine was made of a decent gauge wire too, 12 awg IIRC.
That's what I plan to do is splice them in with the headlights.

I went out today to do a check up and something is causing a wine, maybe alt but it's fairly new, hoping its not AC after this summers weather, steering box is knocking when I turn the wheel, found a oil leak not severe but enough to be concerned it happened after my synthetic oil change...looks like its coming from the oil cooler maybe, needs new window motor regulator put in pass window, threw new battery terminals on it. Oh the joys of falling in love with jeep!
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #53384
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Hey man could you post a pic of just the hellas turned on? I ordered the 500ff driving lights and hear they put off plenty light.
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #53385
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Discovered that apparently there was still some fertilizer in the bed, and it rained =\. Thought i got it all out but i guess not. Anyway i cleaned the bed out real good at the carwash, talk about a mess. Then realized just how filthy the rest of the truck was so i gave it a quick spray down. Ive been staying away from mud for a while now so it hasn't gotten actually washed in like two months lol. I'll probably give it a good detailing tomorrow before it gets real cold. In other news its not liking the cold weather. Dosent want to start unless i have my foot on the gas, and is barly idling, so nothings changed lol.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.