Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

5M views 94K replies 3K participants last post by  shooptube 
#1 · (Edited)
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.

#70,261 ·
DirtyJeepGuy said:
Nah it's with the red 97. The mj has nothing in it motor wise. I completely stripped the engine bay. It's been coated. The red 97 is the daily. And it's drove good till now.
My 97 did that this time last year. There was a short in my NSS and kept blowing fuse 11. I'd remove the ASD from the PDC, turn the key forward and the fuse wouldn't blow. As soon as if put the relay back in the fuse would blow. Only took me 4 months, a new wiring harness, a new PCM, a new fuse block, and a new NSS to figure it out.

#70,262 ·
Been busy lately but finally getting some more time in on the tedious little things of the MJ, and got enough drive time in to find more haha.

Got my IRO track bar in for the MJ a few days ago, then yesterday I went ahead and loosened up all the control arm bolts so I can swap in my Currie arms. Gonna try and get all that stock junk gone this weekend so that maybe this thing wont have such weird death wobble haha.

Ive had around 8 or 9 XJ's now, but the MJ is my first Renix era Jeep, as well my first MJ. Ive gotten pretty familiar with the platform over the years and its kind of interesting to be working on the MJ and see subtle differences in hardware and what not. Axle side upper CA bolts are Torx, frame side upper CA dont have a flagnut like newer XJ's, and frame side LCA bolts are installed the opposite of XJ's. I assume thats MJ specific due to the extra LCA mount bracing. Still, interesting. It's the little things haha.

Current pic:

#70,265 ·
Fixed the park brake. Pedal had no return spring so I used an old brake shoe return spring and had to lengthen the junction bracket to take up slack.

#70,269 ·
I'm pretty familiar with the older generation XJ wiring but not so much with the later models.
My '87 has several fusible links feeding the different sections of the fuse panel.

#70,271 ·
A fusible link is like an in-line fuse. They usually looks like a thinner section of wire spliced into a normal section of wire. 1997-2001 there is a green one on the front of the Power Distribution Center (PDC). You can test it for continuity (or 12v power flow) with a Volts/Ohm meter or a 12 volt light bulb. You can also test it by bypassing it with a temporary jumper wire.

NOTES about Fusible Links: Only a serious short will cause a Fusible Link to burn. The Fusible Link disconnects a circuit from power just before the rest of the wiring in a circuit would be damaged. Momentary overloads such as arcing a wrench between ground and an exposed terminal will not burn out a Fusible Link. The insulation of the Fusible Link wire is soft and non-flammable. Sometimes the conductor strands within will burn without noticeable damage to the insulation. A good test is to try stretching it. If it stretches like a rubber band then the wire within has burned out.

#70,278 ·
S8NNG8 said:
I was having a hell of a time with my Photobucket lastnite so I couldn't show the pics I have of the battery box risers...that finally got welded together. http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/S...7/IMG_20150709_131837282_zpslsokltgm.jpg.html http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/S...7/IMG_20150709_131853705_zps99m91w5f.jpg.html http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/S...7/IMG_20150709_223909786_zps6vugjglc.jpg.htmlThe pic with the box shows how the risers will be sitting under the hood.
Dont bother boarding if you dont plan on going over