Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

5M views 94K replies 3K participants last post by  shooptube 
#1 · (Edited)
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.

#68,282 ·
JeepComanche89 said:
What weight gear oil for a dana 44?
Application?

This brings up a question from me tonight I want to test drive my cherokee but I was only able to put in 3 qts of fluid to the rear diff with q solid cover. The factory spec is 2 and the solid cover puts the full plug over center line so I would be filling the axle tubes as well. I think the 3 qts in it should be good

#68,283 ·
Luke95 said:
Application? This brings up a question from me tonight I want to test drive my cherokee but I was only able to put in 3 qts of fluid to the rear diff with q solid cover. The factory spec is 2 and the solid cover puts the full plug over center line so I would be filling the axle tubes as well. I think the 3 qts in it should be good
Dd that tows and does light wheeling. I cant remember what i used last time. Its making horrible noises right now and i was going to pop the cover and look. Its growling then making a "pop" on tight low speed turns

#68,287 ·
bumblefox said:
Chipped or dirty?
Chipped and the tooth above it too.

So i found those 2 chipped teeth. Could see no other damage anywhere. I need it to go to school tomorrow so I threw the cover back on and put some oil in it. While i was down there i decided to pull the driveshaft in effort to rule out another noise. Anyway i realized that the u joints looked super dry and sure enough the caps were pretty rough. And by pretty i mean really rough. How i forgot to grease them when i just did the springs is beyond me. Nevertheless i shot some grease in them. Now i just took it for a ride home and the noise is gone. There is a very slight growl on occasion, but im chalking that up to the u joints still making a little noise. If i grab the ds there is a slight amount of "up and down" play in it.

As for the rear, when i lift both tires off the ground there is some rotational play. Idk how much is normal, but im assuming some is always going to be there. Im assuming the teeth also had something to do with the noise, and the u joints weren't helping.

#68,288 ·
Guess whose jeep is mobile again? Mine!! Ahaha but it's back with anger and greed for me to dump more money into it. Now the breaks are locking up and it's going thru even more tranny fluid >:-/ but the harmonic balancer tool was extremely helpful (thank you to whomever suggested it. Sorry I can't remember your username lol)

#68,293 ·
Finally bolted the stupidest D44 on the planet. This has become a heavy SOB and a source of much heartburn.

Despite the issues getting a D30 rotor, a GM metric caliper, and the Ubolt eliminators to coexist, I actually nailed the pinion angle.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

#68,299 ·

You musta heard some kinda noise from that^ . :eek:
Surprisingly not a lot....I mean I don't have a muffler right now and my UCA flex joint needs to be replaced as well, so there has been some clunking for a while in the corner anyways... this was just an added clunk hahaha