What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 3411 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #51151
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Question: Why would anyone want that old of a winch rather than a new one?
That is one if the most reliable winches ever made, fast line speeds, powerful and parts are still easily available

2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #51152
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Lots of options in the $300-400 range.
None that will perform like that
2013 COTY
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #51153
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The only way I'd use that thing is if I had a history with it, like if it were my Grandfathers'.
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #51154
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure it's an awesome performer, but my build is a little more modern than that. To each his own. Truthfully, as long as it's fully functional, congrats on your score
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #51155
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I'm sure it's an awesome performer, but my build is a little more modern than that. To each his own. Truthfully, as long as it's fully functional, congrats on your score
A little clean up and some paint and it will look like a new 8274.
2013 COTY
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #51156
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post

A little clean up and some paint and it will look like a new 8274
The lighter the color, the cooler it will stay. Sucks when the starting temp is 100+.
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #51157
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ
Question: Why would anyone want that old of a winch rather than a new one?
I dunno, why buy a vehicle that was cancelled from production 12 years ago instead of a new one?

'00 XJ not quite there..
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #51158
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel

The guy was asking 500 but i asked if it worked and he told me the solenoids are wired wrong. I made the offer of 375 and he took it. It came with a new 150'cable, fairlead, controller and a big snatch block. The clutch spins free and the brake works so I took a chance on it. Its a pretty unbreakable winch and fully rebuildable so its worth the risk and investment to me
Cool just wondering. Good luck fixing her up
JeepComanche89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #51159
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post

The guy was asking 500 but i asked if it worked and he told me the solenoids are wired wrong. I made the offer of 375 and he took it. It came with a new 150'cable, fairlead, controller and a big snatch block. The clutch spins free and the brake works so I took a chance on it. Its a pretty unbreakable winch and fully rebuildable so its worth the risk and investment to me
You should price out the hardware he gave you. I'd be skeptical, he probably bought that stuff hoping he could get it working and failed. I'd say he might have been trying to get his money back out of it. But good luck
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #51160
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8

You should price out the hardware he gave you. I'd be skeptical, he probably bought that stuff hoping he could get it working and failed. I'd say he might have been trying to get his money back out of it. But good luck
Or maybe he was like me and buys stuff to finish a project, ends up never touching it and finding it months later wondering WHY! Then gradually his original intentions come back to him, and he either attempts to finish it again, sells it, or it takes another trip into the black hole of unfinished business. I know this cycle all to well
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #51161
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post

Or maybe he was like me and buys stuff to finish a project, ends up never touching it and finding it months later wondering WHY! Then gradually his original intentions come back to him, and he either attempts to finish it again, sells it, or it takes another trip into the black hole of unfinished business. I know this cycle all to well
Hope so, I'm one of those project guys. My shed is full of crap I'll never get around to.
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #51162
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Unlike the newer planetary gear driven winches this has spur gears. Its alot stronger assembly all around. I spoke to the guy when i picked it up, He's had it on 2 vehicles and was going to mount it on his 89 yota but blew a head gasket and needed money to fix the motor and sold the winch. Even if the solenoids are bad they don't cost that much. I could tell this guy (about50-55) was an honest guy and knew what he was doing. I checked it out and theres no electrical burn smell and no burn marks. The 8274 is used heavily in the enduro races and such in south america and in Europe with great results. All in all I'll be testing it tomorrow at lunch with some jumper cables to test it without a load. Just to make sure it is all good. Iv looked in the 3-400 price range and theres nothing new that can touch the quality and performance the 8274 will provide me with.
IDIdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #51163
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Unlike the newer planetary gear driven winches this has spur gears. Its alot stronger assembly all around. I spoke to the guy when i picked it up, He's had it on 2 vehicles and was going to mount it on his 89 yota but blew a head gasket and needed money to fix the motor and sold the winch. Even if the solenoids are bad they don't cost that much. I could tell this guy (about50-55) was an honest guy and knew what he was doing. I checked it out and theres no electrical burn smell and no burn marks. The 8274 is used heavily in the enduro races and such in south america and in Europe with great results. All in all I'll be testing it tomorrow at lunch with some jumper cables to test it without a load. Just to make sure it is all good. Iv looked in the 3-400 price range and theres nothing new that can touch the quality and performance the 8274 will provide me with.
That's cool, I hope I didn't scare you as bad as I scared myself when I thought of that.
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #51164
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I wasn't scared at all buying it. I'v spent some quality time reading up and talking to my buddy with a wicked built XJ and its all he would run if he ran electric winches. He has a hydraulic winch though
IDIdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #51165
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8

Hope so, I'm one of those project guys. My shed is full of crap I'll never get around to.
Yeah ive always been that way haha. Im "trying" now to just keep the projects that are logical, and realize that somethings are best moved on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.