Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

5M views 94K replies 3K participants last post by  shooptube 
#1 · (Edited)
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.

#68,021 ·
Got the new header panel painted by a guy at work, painted the grille black, hooked up some d rings, fixed the rear lift gate struts and took some poser shots til I can get out to wheel. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

#68,023 ·
Quick question. Brake light came on. Where should I start checking?
... but the oil is a bit grimy looking. What's the best way to flush all the oil and start with fresh oil?
Working maintenance in industrial settings (30+ years) has taught me to listen critically and not assume anything...

Please tell me you are not using oil in your brake system.

If you are, this could explain your brake issues.
No. I mean dot 3 brake fluid. Oil is just easier and faster to type out haha.

#68,024 ·
The e-brake can turn the light on, as well. If everything checks out with the hydraulic system, I'd start checking sensors and switches.

Just to verify, your brake pedal is firm, right? Not spongy?
E brake is fully down. And it started getting somewhat spongy after I hit the brakes a Lil hard the other day but I checked them after I got home and found 0 leaks and not low on any fluid.

#68,025 ·
#68,026 ·
I haven't really taken many pictures yet cuz I'm still trying to figure things out, so here are some crappy shots of my progress so far. All welding is done, all of the mounts are fabbed and it's officially bolted in and painted and drivable. Not I just need to start working on the soft top. :cool:

I'm deciding I don't really like the rubber flares I made for inspection, so I'm thinking I'm gonna try my hand at some steel flat flares.

Attachments

#68,027 ·
Broke my rear sway bar end changing the leafs, they were completely rusted out. I don't wheel but I am putting the crown HD leafs in which are 1-1.5 inches higher. I can't decide if I want to replace the sway bar end or just get rid of the sway bar. Up country didn't have one which is the same height. How would this affect handling on the road and in the snow?

#68,028 ·
No. I mean dot 3 brake fluid. Oil is just easier and faster to type out haha.
Thank you for the clarification. ;)

You would have a hard time believing some of what I've seen & heard over the years. Much effort would have been saved had I learned healthy scepticism earlier. :brickwall:

Didn't mean anything by it, but when someone says they've added "oil" to something I like to double-check. I've seen hydraulic added to brake systems more than once... :rolleyes:

#68,029 ·
Broke my rear sway bar end changing the leafs, they were completely rusted out. I don't wheel but I am putting the crown HD leafs in which are 1-1.5 inches higher. I can't decide if I want to replace the sway bar end or just get rid of the sway bar. Up country didn't have one which is the same height. How would this affect handling on the road and in the snow?
If your experience is anything like mine, you will be hard pressed to notice any difference.

#68,031 ·
Installed 4" bumpstop extensions on the rear.

Looks like too much, until compared with how much shock compression is available, then it looks about right.

Proof will come if I ever get another chance to wheel this thing instead of just building/working on it. :D

Oh yeah, one other thing. Tried to change out my rear brake hose. Got one of the three fittings to break loose. Guess I'll just have to keep hitting the other two with 50/50 until I get brave enough to use heat. Really don't want to go there on brake lines. I'm open for suggestions.
They do still sell NEW lines and Ts .

I had to have new put in as I couldn't get the T fittings to loosen . I ended up letting a shop do it as the XJ is our DD and time was of the essence .

#68,033 ·
I just have to say that the general opinion that you don't know a front locker is there in 2wd is super true. I spent some time trying to get it to make noise and the best I could do was a really tight 2nd lane U turn. Super happy and can't wait to go try it out!

#68,034 ·
DunmerBoy said:
I just have to say that the general opinion that you don't know a front locker is there in 2wd is super true. I spent some time trying to get it to make noise and the best I could do was a really tight 2nd lane U turn. Super happy and can't wait to go try it out!
Glad to hear someone say this. Auto locker up front is coming up on my list of things to do this summer.

#68,035 ·
Glad to hear someone say this. Auto locker up front is coming up on my list of things to do this summer.
its really not a hard install,just takes a little while. I bought the Lokka brand because its supposed to be identical to an Aussie, just, ironically, made in australia. took like a week to get to me and has really good installation instructions. Plus their logo is a sweet lizard.

#68,037 ·
Thank you for the clarification.

You would have a hard time believing some of what I've seen & heard over the years. Much effort would have been saved had I learned healthy scepticism earlier.
:

Didn't mean anything by it, but when someone says they've added "oil" to something I like to double-check. I've seen hydraulic added to brake systems more than once...
yeah I'm not that stupid I'm not on the slow side by any means I just look for assistance when it comes to certain things or when it comes to something I haven't messed with just yet.

#68,038 ·
DunmerBoy said:
its really not a hard install,just takes a little while. I bought the Lokka brand because its supposed to be identical to an Aussie, just, ironically, made in australia. took like a week to get to me and has really good installation instructions. Plus their logo is a sweet lizard.
Lokka owns Aussie according to their website.