What did you do to your XJ/MJ today? - Page 3400 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #50986
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

took it out to Friday Fest (monthly car show/street party) with some of the local club members

We ended up getting a spot right next to the Kia dealer, they had a hard time selling their SUVs off road ability that night

chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #50987
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't know Kia tried to sell their vehicles as off road capable. I always thought Kia/Hyundai was moving upscale and placing their CUV's against the likes of Audi and BMW
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #50988
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
I didn't know Kia tried to sell their vehicles as off road capable. I always thought Kia/Hyundai was moving upscale and placing their CUV's against the likes of Audi and BMW
They used to try to sell the old Sportages that way back when they have removable tops.

Hyundai has moved up in recent years big time but they're still more competition for Toyota, Honda, ect.

In the past 3-4 years they've dumped a lot more money into Kia and the quality has gone up big time, though once you're at the bottom you can really only go up. They're still a pain to work on yourself and they're still prone to issues due to shortcuts Hyundai takes in manufacturing them. I wouldn't suggest touching anything before 2011 on a Kia.

The Forte and Rio are still cheap throwaway cars.

The Soul is pretty popular and I've only seen two come in with major issues. One needed a motor and the other needed a transmission and both were due to unique manufacturing defects. We have one woman that comes in with a 2010 Soul that looks like it rolled off the lot that day and she's got 300k miles on it.

Sedonas are prone to small issues that are random and really difficult to diagnose. They stopped making them for 2013 and we just got in the first 2014s at work this week so I can't comment on those yet. We do get quite a few over 200k miles on them though.

I wouldn't touch a Sportage, they're better than what I've talked about so far, but they've got TONS of blind spots and you can't see anything out of them if you're over 6 foot.

The new Optima, Sorento and Cadenza are nice and come with tons of features. Air conditioned seats are cool as hell and not many manufacturers are doing them yet. As nice as they are, they're still prone to small issues like all Kias still are. In the end I'm not going to pay $35-40k for a nice Kia when I can buy from a better manufacturer.

Their warranties are really good though and they honor them in situations where I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to. We have a woman with a 2009 Sorento with 250k miles on it that comes in, she's never come in for anything but warranty work, goes forever between oil changes and doesn't do any maintenance otherwise. She had a crank bolt break on it about a year ago and they warrantied it out of warranty. It's broken 4 times since and they've still covered it and we just put a short block in it under warranty last week.

We had a 2012 Optima get towed in a couple weeks ago, front end all smashed up from hitting curbs and ****. Inside of the car was trashed. It had 30k miles on it, zero maintenance done, tons of sludge in the oil pan, no records of any work done to it, oil was low, wrong filter was rung into it. Pulled the top end apart and the whole motor was sludged up. We thought there was no way in hell they'd warranty it. Factory rep came out and I had to explain to him why the sludge was there. They took a sample and decided it had trace amounts of coolant in it so they warrantied it and had us put a brand new motor in it.
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #50989
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's great service, I like the Soul a lot. It's the best looking car out of the recent "I drive a toaster" fad.
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #50990
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's great service, I like the Soul a lot. It's the best looking car out of the recent "I drive a toaster" fad.
I don't know what's uglier, the Kia Soul or the Nissan Juke. Both are the worst designs ever!
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #50991
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post

I don't know what's uglier, the Kia Soul or the Nissan Juke. Both are the worst designs ever!
I think its obvious that peoples opinions of what looks good differ greatly
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #50992
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I think its obvious that peoples opinions of what looks good differ greatly
True, there's been plenty to admit they don't like the boxy look of the XJ.
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #50993
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I don't particularly like how the Soul looks but they drive well, get pretty good gas mileage for being more of a brick than an XJ, and they're really easy to get in and out of because of the design and height.

Drive a turbo Juke and you might change your mind. Nothing is worse from Nissan than the damn Cube. They're literally one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Interior design is awful, they're sluggish, and I don't get how they can have so much glass but have zero visibility.
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #50994
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

I don't particularly like how the Soul looks but they drive well, get pretty good gas mileage for being more of a brick than an XJ, and they're really easy to get in and out of because of the design and height.

Drive a turbo Juke and you might change your mind. Nothing is worse from Nissan than the damn Cube. They're literally one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Interior design is awful, they're sluggish, and I don't get how they can have so much glass but have zero visibility.
Visibility sucks cuz you're too busy hiding your face due to the embarrassment.
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #50995
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan
took it out to Friday Fest (monthly car show/street party) with some of the local club members

We ended up getting a spot right next to the Kia dealer, they had a hard time selling their SUVs off road ability that night
I have been away for too long when did we get that clean xj and the built rigs on the end?
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #50996
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post

I have been away for too long when did we get that clean xj and the built rigs on the end?
They're some new kids, the two YJs are their dads, the green XJ the guy just bought, they're all highschool kids who knew near nothing about their vehicles but they want to learn and seem decent people.
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #50997
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Some of the guys overheard one of the salesman talking about the 4wd on their suvs not being that kind of 4wd *points at jeeps* but is still "capable" to one of of the people walking around.
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #50998
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Got ready to put the carpet in tomorrow. Dry fit all the insulation, ground up the surface rust from having no carpet, and re primed and painted.

image-2521343659.jpg

It will only let me load this and not the insulation ones for some reason
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #50999
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
Got ready to put the carpet in tomorrow. Dry fit all the insulation, ground up the surface rust from having no carpet, and re primed and painted.

Attachment 645859

It will only let me load this and not the insulation ones for some reason
Looks nice, try the other pics again, I want to see?

Mine- covered trans hump with Aluminum, started with inside the roof, prob going to use plastic (space blankets) for rest of roof, then cover with thin foam & replace headliner.
I want to stop all the condensation ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!!
p1080355.jpg   p1080358.jpg  

Last edited by RacerX; 07-14-2013 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: PICS
RacerX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #51000
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX

Looks nice, try the other pics again, I want to see?

Mine- covered trans hump with Aluminum, started with inside the roof, prob going to use plastic (space blankets) for rest of roof, then cover with thin foam & replace headliner.
I want to stop all the condensation ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!!
Thanks and i tried again but no luck. Its called EZ cool insulation. Bought 80 sf of it at a swapmeet for 40 dollars
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.