Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

5M views 94K replies 3K participants last post by  shooptube 
#1 · (Edited)
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.

#63,462 ·
BlueBadger said:
Good luck man!
Thanks ill need as much luck as I can get. Last winter my grandmother had about 12 acres clear cut for more grazing pastures for the cows. This area USED to have the perfect 2 to 3 acre field in a wooded clearing. Now it's all open, and last I saw kinda growed up. Mabee they will still have some of their same patterns.

#63,464 ·
Well the XJ passed all her exam questions but one concerning the 3rd brake light which cost her a whopping $8; so she's legal again and Beach's finest won't bother me. Considering taking her down to see SunDevilBlue, who has been busy with her first semester of college and working, in March when I go on vacation; it would be fun to see the XJ's side by side and on the beach at St Augustine. I don't know if I want to put that many miles on an engine that is sitting at 191,407...:)

#63,465 ·
Maybe you should watch this before the glass guy gets to it. Oh and dont be affraid to watch him like a hawk .
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=32...dden-rust-under-car-windshields&s_cid=queue-7
Thanks for showing that to me. I too was concerned about rust with the amount of water going thru there. The Safelite shop I am dealing with was recommended (an next door too) by a local Repair shop who is kind of the local goto shop for many jeeps. I trust the Repair shop, an so I will extend that trust to this Safelite.

When I spoke to the Safelite person who will be performing the repair, he explained the process including applying rest conversion coat first, then primer an allowing it to cure for 15 to 30 min. I feel pretty safe that my XJ will be in good hands.

I will share pictures as soon as I get them. (I have asked to see)

#63,467 ·
ladytex70 said:
Well the XJ passed all her exam questions but one concerning the 3rd brake light which cost her a whopping $8; so she's legal again and Beach's finest won't bother me. Considering taking her down to see SunDevilBlue, who has been busy with her first semester of college and working, in March when I go on vacation; it would be fun to see the XJ's side by side and on the beach at St Augustine. I don't know if I want to put that many miles on an engine that is sitting at 191,407...:)
That's about the same mileage as mine and I recently did an 1800 mile trip with it. You should be fine if it's in good condition, mileage is nothing but a number.

#63,468 ·
That's about the same mileage as mine and I recently did an 1800 mile trip with it. You should be fine if it's in good condition, mileage is nothing but a number.
When my 88 XJ electrical gave up, I had 280K on it. I pulled the motor an dropped it in my YJ which went another 25K before it showed low oil pressure (10psi while cruz'n) an I finally parked it.

#63,469 ·
JohnFM3 said:
When my 88 XJ electrical gave up, I had 280K on it. I pulled the motor an dropped it in my YJ which went another 25K before it showed low oil pressure (10psi while cruz'n) an I finally parked it.
Most old time hot todders will swear by the rule of thumb that an engine only needs 1psi of oil pressure for 1,000rpm. You probably weren't too far off, but it could go another 10,000

#63,470 ·
Most old time hot todders will swear by the rule of thumb that an engine only needs 1psi of oil pressure for 1,000rpm. You probably weren't too far off, but it could go another 10,000
I considered just installing a new pump an bearings. As compression is still in the mid 140s across all 6. I had installed a new head gasket 50k ago, an it has the updated exhaust manifold (new) installed when the engine went in the wrangler 25k ago. Probably could have done all the work myself at under $500. But I really want to build a stroker, an since this is the ideal block to do it with, I am going to start a new build thread an go thru my entire wrangler.

#63,471 ·
Quick question for everyone....

The plate between the engine an tranny. I was always under the impression that the 2 piece units were for Auto Trannys an the Manuals used a 1 piece unit. An I never thought to use a 2 piece on a manual tranny.

Does it matter which one I use behind a Manual Tranny?

#63,474 ·
I do a lot of city driving and I've heard that that's rough on engines because of all the stop and go that happens. I'm religious about changing her oil...to the point of being OCD about it ( apologies to any of you that have OCD..) I'm cautious about taking her on that 10-11 hour trip on I-95 going about 70 for long stretches after her overheating episode last summer near Savannah.

#63,478 ·
I don't know if I want to put that many miles on an engine that is sitting at 191,407...
I wish ours only had 191,*** on it ... Ours has 208,364 . I change the oil and filter about every 2500 miles . I don't think twice about running it 1,000+ miles every Spring on the way North and the same on the way South in the Fall . That's not to mention all the daily running around in between .

#63,479 ·
I wish ours only had 191,*** on it ... Ours has 208,364 . I change the oil and filter about every 2500 miles . I don't think twice about running it 1,000+ miles every Spring on the way North and the same on the way South in the Fall . That's not to mention all the daily running around in between .
Mine has over 212k and I trust it more than most vehicles with half that.

#63,480 ·
My 88 had 380k on it when I sold it a couple years ago and I wouldn't have hesitated to drive that thing anywhere in the country. I'd certainly have kept a couple extra hoses, tape, and bottles of coolant in there just in case for the crappy Renix era cooling system, but I'd have trusted that thing to make it anywhere I needed to go.