Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your XJ/MJ today?

5M views 94K replies 3K participants last post by  shooptube 
#1 · (Edited)
seriously, one of these threads needs to stay alive in the XJ/MJ section and what better time to get a real one going then now with the creation of the XJ/MJ GD. now, lets keep this going.

for me, all i did today was take pictures of my newly cut front bumper.

picture a few posts down.

#51,145 ·
motor blew....I think there was a lot of neglect by the PO....I tried correcting as much as I could but ultimately the head gasket let go plus there was a lot of metal shavings when I drained the oil ( last oil change was 1k miles ago and everything looked relatively good then, some very minor shavings on the drain plug but nothing to cause alarm given the way the jeep had been running)

#51,146 ·
What would that reasonable price be if you dont mind sharing?
The guy was asking 500 but i asked if it worked and he told me the solenoids are wired wrong. I made the offer of 375 and he took it. It came with a new 150'cable, fairlead, controller and a big snatch block. The clutch spins free and the brake works so I took a chance on it. Its a pretty unbreakable winch and fully rebuildable so its worth the risk and investment to me

#51,147 ·
The guy was asking 500 but i asked if it worked and he told me the solenoids are wired wrong. I made the offer of 375 and he took it. It came with a new 150'cable, fairlead, controller and a big snatch block. The clutch spins free and the brake works so I took a chance on it. Its a pretty unbreakable winch and fully rebuildable so its worth the risk and investment to me
That was a good price

#51,148 ·
Passenger side rock lights are "done". But whenever I try to connect the strand to the drivers side strand they all cut off. I believe it's grounded good on the rear. I can't figure this out
are you running them all in series (one pod connected to the other conected to another, ect) or are the all parallel wired (each pod has a home run back to the switch or power source)?

If in series; you have to many on one run, start another parallel series of light for the other side, wire the sets back to the same switch.
^ yeah. I've been researching this for a couple years for my rig.
they say you should wire a few together at a time (2-4) then run power to the next set. 1 resistor for each set. Or you can run full power to each (12V) and run a 470-560 Ohm resistor at the LED (for most blue & white), I've switched to the 560 Ohm, a little less power, but you're much less likely to burn them out.
(our Alt. can put out 14.2V a bit more that 12V)
you can run all these power leads to 1 wire (or 2 into 1 left-right) then on to switch, and you can ground just about anywhere to body.

I think your problem is, you are not getting enough power to your LEDs.
It sounds like with both sides on you only have enough power for 1 side, or 1/2 of your LEDs.
Try this resistor calc:
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
also more info if you look around the site.

#51,151 ·
Question: Why would anyone want that old of a winch rather than a new one?
That is one if the most reliable winches ever made, fast line speeds, powerful and parts are still easily available

#51,152 ·
#51,155 ·
I'm sure it's an awesome performer, but my build is a little more modern than that. To each his own. Truthfully, as long as it's fully functional, congrats on your score;)
A little clean up and some paint and it will look like a new 8274.

#51,158 ·
IDIdiesel said:
Cool just wondering. Good luck fixing her up

#51,159 ·
You should price out the hardware he gave you. I'd be skeptical, he probably bought that stuff hoping he could get it working and failed. I'd say he might have been trying to get his money back out of it. But good luck;)

#51,160 ·
S8NNG8 said:
You should price out the hardware he gave you. I'd be skeptical, he probably bought that stuff hoping he could get it working and failed. I'd say he might have been trying to get his money back out of it. But good luck;)
Or maybe he was like me and buys stuff to finish a project, ends up never touching it and finding it months later wondering WHY! Then gradually his original intentions come back to him, and he either attempts to finish it again, sells it, or it takes another trip into the black hole of unfinished business. I know this cycle all to well :rofl: