What is with the cost of motors for 00-01 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What is with the cost of motors for 00-01

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
gunsworth

What is with the cost of motors for 00-01 (pics added)

So aggrivating, a piston shot out the bottom of our 00 xj and cant find a motor for less than $1000, and most of those have 150k+ WTF? only reason I bought it was because I thought these motors were a dime a dozen, picked the wrong year i guess. any tips? Crazy part is that I pulled the valve cover to check the head and no cracks. how does a piston just shoot through the oil pan in golfball sized peices?

Last edited by gunsworth; 04-27-2012 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added pics
gunsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 1991-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block will fit and work in your 00 XJ. Simply re-use the 0331 head, intake/exhaust manifold, flywheel, belt driven accessories, and other sensor/parts as required. Have your 0331 head tested and inspected for cracks.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
gunsworth

I am starting with pulling the head (I need to bring the one from my yj in anyways, head gasket started leaking a week after this happened, so 2 dead jeeps in the drive right now lol)

but I figure with the piston grenading, the head is gonna be jacked up underneath...
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Any 1991-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block will fit and work in your 00 XJ. Simply re-use the 0331 head, intake/exhaust manifold, flywheel, belt driven accessories, and other sensor/parts as required. Have your 0331 head tested and inspected for cracks.
Only 99+ (if I remember correctly) XJ 4.0's are direct bolt ins. Like Tim said though, anything fron a 91+ will work but it will take a bit more effort than just bolting in. Given that yours is a 2000 you still need to swap over compatible ECU's and sensors.
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
lsmurphy

Look for a rust-bucket donor for $1000.......one with a bad trans or what have you........rape for good parts then scrap it for $450.

That's how smart folks do it.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
lsmurphy

I just perused CL in MI for a few minutes........ http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/2957583367.html

You folks are proud of your **** up there huh?
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
gunsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
I just perused CL in MI for a few minutes........ http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/2957583367.html

I have been searching crazedlist for all the cities wthin 4hours of me for 3 weeks now and have yet to find one under 1000 with less than 140k. I check vehicles too, missed a 99 with 100k and blow trans for 700 by an hour.

The one you linked, is a wj, wont even come close to dropping in. I am gonna give it another week before I give up
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
lsmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsworth View Post
I have been searching crazedlist for all the cities wthin 4hours of me for 3 weeks now and have yet to find one under 1000 with less than 140k. I check vehicles too, missed a 99 with 100k and blow trans for 700 by an hour.

The one you linked, is a wj, wont even come close to dropping in. I am gonna give it another week before I give up

Yeah I know what I posted....just an example. But that can be found round here for $1200 every day of the week in good running condition and not wrecked. For some reason the Grands are undesirable........understandably so.
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try www.car-part.com. Change the model year a few times to get more donors.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
gunsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Try www.car-part.com. Change the model year a few times to get more donors.
seem to be just as expensive as the others, there is one for 1000$ with 112k nearby so might just go with that if i cant find another by weeks end. thanks, i had checked there when i first started looking, but wrote em off because i couldnt believe these engines could cost so much, now reality has sunk in....
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
gunsworth

well **** balls ***, just found one on cl for 600$ with only 101k picking it up tomorrow, gonna take the trans as well, ours was hesitating and he only wants 250$ for it
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post

hahaha the guy in that ad is an idiot. The rear hatch on a WJ (probably dented) isn't worth $1400.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
gunsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
hahaha the guy in that ad is an idiot. The rear hatch on a WJ (probably dented) isn't worth $1400.
Haha, my favorite was the guy found who had a 4.0 for only 900, I emailed him and found it had 220k on it, I wished him luck lol
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #14
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsworth View Post
So aggrivating, a piston shot out the bottom of our 00 xj and cant find a motor for less than $1000, and most of those have 150k+ WTF? only reason I bought it was because I thought these motors were a dime a dozen, picked the wrong year i guess. any tips? Crazy part is that I pulled the valve cover to check the head and no cracks. how does a piston just shoot through the oil pan in golfball sized peices?
I'm going to not RTFT and just comment on the OP here.

Three main reasons of engine failure;

1. Overheating

2. Lack of lubrication

3. Ingesting dirt

If there is no damage to the block, and you know what you're doing, a rebuild is in order here.
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
gunsworth

well the 600$ motor turned out to be older and ****ty looking (after driving an hour to get it, passed and turned back home)

found this one for 700$ with "80k" looked good and bought it (grabbed a oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, water pump, rear main seal, front main...)

got it home and pulled the oild pan, and it is clear it had a rebuild from the markings inside and hatch marrks from the pistone walls being honed. there was also some cat head stamped on the head along with a plug stamped "weller". guy had only had the jeep a few months before he totalled it and the odometer had around 80k. so it had a recent rebuild and all is good right now, just sucks that the head is still the 0331 but we will just make sure not to over heat and hope for the best

below you will see the old vs new used motor
cat-stamp.jpg   old-head.jpg   new-motor-head.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.