What CB Antenna one would you get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > What CB Antenna one would you get?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
grantsjeep
1978 CJ5 

What CB Antenna one would you get?

I am in a dilemma at the moment. I have been wanting to get a CB for my Jeep for a while because I live in a very rural part of Southwest Virginia and yesterday I went to a Mom and Pap electronics store that went out of business yesterday and I picked up a Cobra 19 Ultra III brand new in box for $5 bucks !!!Anyways, I now need an antenna/mount/cable and I know I need to tune it with a SWR Meter .

My Question is should I get a good Firestik Firefly Antenna with the Door Jamb mount and mount the Antenna to the tailgate of my Jeep or would a less expensive magnetic antenna work?

I got a feeling I already know the answer but I wanted some feedback.

Also if anyone can recommend a different CB antenna and mount please post the links as I am looking to order this today!!!

Thanks
Grantsjeep

grantsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
WMW0505
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a fire stick mounted with the door jamb and I love it. magnet mounts are fine, but they move sometimes off road.
D44 open
33x12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
4.56:1 gears
WMW0505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i had a magnetic mount and hated it. if anything touched it on the trail, it would fall off and start dragging behind the jeep. i got a 4' firestik and mounted it on the passengers side door jam with a mount my friend whipped up and it was fine, until i went wheeling. it would constantly whack my jeep. right now i dont have it on, ive been thinking about getting a 2' firestik and mounting it on the roof rack once i get it..either that or on the bumper so it can freely swing side to side. we'll see.
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing wrong with a magnet. I have mine centered on the roof in the rear. I ran the wire along the weather seal in the lift gate, under the back seat, and under my passenger seat to my radio. My radio is mounted on the transmission hump. I grounded it on one the passenger seat floor bolts, and ran the live wire through the firewall via the hood release hole.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsjeep View Post
...I need to tune it with a SWR Meter . ...
Speaking of which...how do you do that? ...and is it necessary? I've heard about it before, but didn't really understand it.

Thanks
..//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stick to brand name antennas and mounting brackets. Wilson, Firestik, Francis. The only magnet mount antenna that is worth a spit is the Wilson 1000.

Go to www.Firestik.com and read the TECH section. All the questions you may have are answered in plain language. You must SWR test and tune any and every antenna you install.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
XJ_Hunter
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You must SWR test and tune any and every antenna you install.
x2..Its to optimize the range, configure your CB to the specific antenna, etc, and it could damage your unit if you dont. However, it is not going to give you perfect readings on all channels either. For me, ch. 1-5 are all under 1.2. 6-12 are about 1.5, and channel 19 comes out at 1.9. My higher channels are junk even after my SWR tuning. Just giving a heads up for anyone thinkin that it will make everytihng perfect, but it is still necessary.
XJ_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I currently have a magnetic mount K40 that is working great for me. I have yet to knock it over in 4 years of ownership. I know the SWR is low across all 40 bans of my handheld Midland CB, although I can't say I remember the ranges seen.

My vote is for a K40 or Wilson first and Firestik second. For optimum antenna performance, placement in the middle of the roof would be best. Most firestick installs are back by the hatch which does effect the performance.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

SWR can only be tuned for a specific frequency. A radio with SWR tuned at 19 (the center of the band) will have acceptable SWR throughout the rest of the band. The best range will be obtained with an antenna mounted at the center of the roof as it provides the best omnidirectional ground plane.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

let me correct myself. the antenna was from the 80s and it stuck while normal driving, but was easy to knock off. plus people can screw around with it and stick it on the side of your jeep or somewhere like that and end up having the person that parked next to you complain about a "new" scratch in their car. (yes this happened to me)
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
ratster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wilson (tuneable) or a Francis which are pretty much pre-tuned allready if you have a good ground.
ratster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.