JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   What CB Antenna one would you get? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/what-cb-antenna-one-would-you-get-566141/)

grantsjeep 06-03-2008 06:06 AM

What CB Antenna one would you get?

I am in a dilemma at the moment. I have been wanting to get a CB for my Jeep for a while because I live in a very rural part of Southwest Virginia and yesterday I went to a Mom and Pap electronics store that went out of business yesterday and I picked up a Cobra 19 Ultra III brand new in box for $5 bucks :2thumbsup:!!!Anyways, I now need an antenna/mount/cable and I know I need to tune it with a SWR Meter :rtft:.

My Question is should I get a good Firestik Firefly Antenna with the Door Jamb mount and mount the Antenna to the tailgate of my Jeep or would a less expensive magnetic antenna work?

I got a feeling I already know the answer but I wanted some feedback.

Also if anyone can recommend a different CB antenna and mount please post the links as I am looking to order this today!!!

Thanks
Grantsjeep

WMW0505 06-03-2008 10:12 AM

I have a fire stick mounted with the door jamb and I love it. magnet mounts are fine, but they move sometimes off road.

aircruiser 06-03-2008 02:17 PM

i had a magnetic mount and hated it. if anything touched it on the trail, it would fall off and start dragging behind the jeep. i got a 4' firestik and mounted it on the passengers side door jam with a mount my friend whipped up and it was fine, until i went wheeling. it would constantly whack my jeep. right now i dont have it on, ive been thinking about getting a 2' firestik and mounting it on the roof rack once i get it..either that or on the bumper so it can freely swing side to side. we'll see.

zatch83 06-03-2008 06:53 PM

Nothing wrong with a magnet. I have mine centered on the roof in the rear. I ran the wire along the weather seal in the lift gate, under the back seat, and under my passenger seat to my radio. My radio is mounted on the transmission hump. I grounded it on one the passenger seat floor bolts, and ran the live wire through the firewall via the hood release hole.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

zatch83 06-03-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantsjeep (Post 5292774)
...I need to tune it with a SWR Meter :rtft:. ...

Speaking of which...how do you do that? ...and is it necessary? I've heard about it before, but didn't really understand it.

Thanks

CJ7-Tim 06-03-2008 07:10 PM

Stick to brand name antennas and mounting brackets. Wilson, Firestik, Francis. The only magnet mount antenna that is worth a spit is the Wilson 1000.

Go to www.Firestik.com and read the TECH section. All the questions you may have are answered in plain language. You must SWR test and tune any and every antenna you install.

XJ_Hunter 06-03-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim (Post 5295645)
You must SWR test and tune any and every antenna you install.

x2..Its to optimize the range, configure your CB to the specific antenna, etc, and it could damage your unit if you dont. However, it is not going to give you perfect readings on all channels either. For me, ch. 1-5 are all under 1.2. 6-12 are about 1.5, and channel 19 comes out at 1.9. My higher channels are junk even after my SWR tuning. Just giving a heads up for anyone thinkin that it will make everytihng perfect, but it is still necessary. :cheers2:

MGrobe 06-04-2008 12:37 AM

I currently have a magnetic mount K40 that is working great for me. I have yet to knock it over in 4 years of ownership. I know the SWR is low across all 40 bans of my handheld Midland CB, although I can't say I remember the ranges seen.

My vote is for a K40 or Wilson first and Firestik second. For optimum antenna performance, placement in the middle of the roof would be best. Most firestick installs are back by the hatch which does effect the performance.

mecompco 06-04-2008 05:50 AM

SWR can only be tuned for a specific frequency. A radio with SWR tuned at 19 (the center of the band) will have acceptable SWR throughout the rest of the band. The best range will be obtained with an antenna mounted at the center of the roof as it provides the best omnidirectional ground plane.

aircruiser 06-04-2008 08:36 AM

let me correct myself. the antenna was from the 80s and it stuck while normal driving, but was easy to knock off. plus people can screw around with it and stick it on the side of your jeep or somewhere like that and end up having the person that parked next to you complain about a "new" scratch in their car. (yes this happened to me)

ratster 06-04-2008 09:37 AM

Wilson (tuneable) or a Francis which are pretty much pre-tuned allready if you have a good ground.:thumbsup:

The time now is 12:10 PM.