The Waketek516 build (2014 Edition) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > The Waketek516 build (2014 Edition)

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

The Waketek516 build (2014 Edition)

Hey Everyone! I'M BACK!!!!

Long story short - I was a pretty active member here back in '06 when I had my first Cherokee (Black '01 Sport. 2" BB on 30s).

I sold it, moved to California, build a BUNCH of cars out there (550hp '06 Mustang GT, 4Runner, FJ, Tundra), but none of them satisfied me like a Cherokee! Well... the Mustang was on another level, but that's a different kind of car...

Supercharged Mustang GT

4-Runner 4" on 33s

FJ 3" on 33s

Tundra 3" Leveling Lift on stock 33s

So I came back to NY this summer - and sold the Tundra to get into a Cherokee again!

It's bone stock, and almost identical to my last one. Black '01 Sport, 120k, Auto, NP231.

Lots planned, but not much will happen till after the holidays

Picutres, Info, and Videos:
MY XJ
WAKETEK516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

HEADLIGHTS

First Mod.... The stock headlights SUCCCKKKKK (as everyone knows)...

So I picked up a cheapo set of eBaY lights with H4s. They're better than stock, but eventually I'll upgrade the harness the right way.
For now these will do...

Looks better and about 43% brighter
MY XJ
Unread 12-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Some things I've noticed after having it a few weeks which will be corrected:
  • The carfax was clean, but it may have had some minor front end work. The fogs are both cracked and not working
  • The "p" in "Jeep" on the grille isn't lined up properly. Its subtle, but drives me nuts.
  • The exhaust may have been replaced/repaired at somepoint, but had too much "hanger" added in the back. The tail pipe is hanging down a good 6" below the bumper.
  • The speakers cut in and out at times, but that will be replaced with a full stereo system. I'm adding a full Double DIN nav, and will have a write up of how I pull that off.
  • The transfer case shifter rattles a bit, but the trans mount is shot. I have a new one, and just need a day to swap it out.
  • The motor mounts are shot (rubber is cracked and falling apart). I ordered a set of BrownDog mounts/brackets. Just need a day to swap them out.
MY XJ
Unread 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Motor mounts came! These things are BEEFY!
MY XJ
Unread 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a nice clean start, and thanks for the reminder that I need to order some Brown Dogs.

So whats the plans with this thing?
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Looks like a nice clean start, and thanks for the reminder that I need to order some Brown Dogs.

So whats the plans with this thing?
Plans are pretty routine. Its still my daily driver/kid hauler, so nothing too crazy. I have a bunch of stuff already - I just need time to install it.

Stuff I have already:
DVD/NAV double din, 5ch amp, speakers and amp
Napier Flares (thicker version of the bushwackers), but I'll wait till its lifted
Brown Dog Mounts
Trans Mount
Cruise Control conversion
LED Light Bars

After the holidays:
4.5" Lift (undecided)
SYE
MT Classic Lock IIIs with 33's
JCR DIY Bumpers
MY XJ
Unread 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
XJdoggy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Damn! Jeep looks amazing man! Can't wait to see what you do with this one. Definitely a great looking jeep to build up!
XJdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

STEERING WHEEL UPGRADE

So my stock wheel was pretty badly worn. Rather than throw a cheap looking cover over it, or pay a crazy amount to have it re-wrapped - I took a chance on a Leather wrap that you hand-stitch over your existing one. I got it for $6 on Amazon, and figured it was worth a shot! It comes with the leather, heavy duty thread (really more of string), and a very heavy duty needle. I have some skills with sewing (thanks to my grandmother), so taking my time, I was able to get a great result!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MY XJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Sweet Stang!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

REAR HATCH - BUMPERS & SEALS

There has been an annoying rattle coming from the rear hatch ever since I got it. After listening to it from the trunk while my wife drove around - I could see the hatch was actually moving in and out a bit. Once I opened the hatch - I could see that both the weather striping and little bumpers were basically rotted away and not allowing the door to seal properly. I ordered both parts I needed from Quadratec and installed them in about 15mins.

While I was back there - I also replaced my hatch struts since it would slowly drop on my head. Not much to show there, but I got the struts pretty cheap on Amazon:

RATTLING GONE!

New vs. Old

Bumer and weather seal
MY XJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

DOUBLE DIN RADIO BEZEL - This is a work in progress, and I'll update this post with more pics as I complete the project.

If you search on this forum or on Google - you'll find a million ways to make this work. Some look clean - some look like crap. Any time you're doing a modification like this, you'll want some sort of plan, creativity, and PATIENCE! I wanted mine to look as factory as possible, but I was also not hell bent on it being absolute perfection since this IS a 15yr old car I ordered a spare bezel on eBaY for $14 so that I could work on this without my existing bezel being out of the car. This also let me take my time with it, and offered a bit of leeway with mistakes since I knew it was a spare.

First thing to do is use your double din radio to make several measurements of EXACTLY how large the opening needs to be. MEASURE TWICE - CUT ONCE!
You'll also need some kind of radio bezel so that you can secure the radio in the dash. Knowing from my past cars that the FORD double din bezel would offer a clean look with side rails for mounting - I decided to go with that:

So here's the first cuts - I made these with a dremel with a cut off wheel, and my oscillating tool with a saw blade on it:

Next, keep measuring, and cutting, and measuring and trimming until you can fit the radio bezel in the dash bezel without issues:

After that - I decided to use some Gorilla Glue Epoxy to glue the radio bezel to the dash bezel. THIS IS NOT PERMANENT and would not hold the weight of the radio. This is just to keep it aligned before I start fiberglassing it.

Next post will cover fiber glassing it....
MY XJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

FIBERGLASSING THE DOUBLE DIN BEZEL

I'm not going to teach you how to use this stuff. Its not that difficult if you practice and I'd rather focus on how I used it specifically for this application. Its available everywhere in various sizes. You won't need much for this project since its a very small area.

The next step is to start fiberglassing the two bezels together. This will be extremely strong, and also fill in the gaps on the left and right of the radio. Start by sanding everything the glass will touch with 150-200grit paper. This will help the resin adhere better. Begin with one layer, let it set, sand it down, and re-trim the opening as needed. Keep building up each layer. This will allow it to lay smoother, and ultimately look better as you go.

After Layer One:

After Layer Two (looking better already):

This is about as thick as I want to go, and its now PLENTY strong!

Next post will cover BONDO to fill the highs and lows, and also repainting it!
MY XJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

BONDO & PAINT

So next up was getting the rough parts sanded down, and laying down some bondo to level out the highs and lows:

After initial sanding with 150grit

Checking clearances to make sure it opens properly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_B90pJhaxA

Finish sanding with 220grit

After 2-coats of primer

Final step will be spraying it with bedliner. It should hide the last of the imperfections, but overall I'm really happy with this!
MY XJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
WAKETEK516

2001 XJ Cherokee 

52" LED LIGHT BAR

I'm not going to cover how I did this - its pretty easy. I used the Rough Country Light brackets (which I hammered wider with a rubber mallet) to fit a cheaper Ebay light
They rivet onto the A-pillar and come with the rivets, although you'll need your own rivet gun.

I won't go into detail of how I wired it, but I used a Painless 7-circuit add-on fuse block mounted to the inside firewall above the pedals. I used an ashtray switch panel for the switches:

Here it is all lit up! ITS LIKE THE SUN!!!!

Low Beams:

LIGHT BAR!
MY XJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
nolanbalzarini

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKETEK516 View Post
52" LED LIGHT BAR
is that curved, and can i get a link please? looks great btw
nolanbalzarini is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.