Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

the vehicle you had before your cherokee

49K views 184 replies 149 participants last post by  nuny4 
#1 · (Edited)
like the title says..what was the vehicle you had before your xj?

vehicle - 1996 Chrysler Sebring JX convertible

mods - nothing really. infinity stereo system with 6 disc changer, cobra 5 stage alarm system, thats about it

background - my parents got it from some guy and they paid off his lease. it had 10,000 miles on it at the time. they had it as a weekend cruiser but after they sold the durango, it became a daily driver. ever since it had become a daily driver, i started taking care of it because at the time, i was like 10 and back then, it was like a camaro to me (had no real idea what power was all about). i washed it every week and waxed it once a month and when i was 12, started doing oil changes on it every 3k. a week before i got my license, my parents offered it to me for $2,000.

i took them up on it and payed $1,000 and said id pay the other $1,000 off in a month when i made the money (had just gotten my new job). i did and a month later, i found my jeep at the local jeep dealership and put the car on craigslist the same night i saw the jeep. sold the sebring a week after i bought the jeep. and i have no regrets. :)

pictures

to keep it xj related, im gonna work on mine tomorrow.

:)

See less See more
#4 ·
The only thing I drove before was our Hoe. (Family vehicle) I LOVE IT!

Very little chrome, soon to be the xj's tow rig. Love the rims too, not chrome, polished. :)

Its getting a leveling kit, and some taller goodyear silent armor tires soon.

Gotta love Bermuda Blue.

#6 ·
....and the wagoneer, very sad that i sold it
I'm very sad that you sold that as well. You should be banned for such an attrosity........:D

Before my wrangler, I had an XJ so before that, I had another wrangler. LOL

#7 ·
I hated to sell it, but with problems getting it titled/street legal and some mechcanical problems it wasnt a good vechicle to drive to chicago when i moved for school speacialy with getting only 8mpg......But the one time i got to take it out into the woods it was tank, it went everywhere...Im gonna try to track down the guy i sold it too when i move back......

#8 ·
'86 Bronco, salvaged from the JY. FI 302 w/a couple hundred thousand on it and the AOD. Bought for $750, drove for two years and sold for $750 when I got the XJ.

#9 ·
1964.5 Mustang - now in primer with the engine sitting next to it.

1993 Mustang Coupe - 4 banger, 5 speed, clean as the day it was assembled

1990 Mustang Coupe - ex-South Carolina Highway Patrol car - 5.0, 5 speed

1998 Ford Ranger - Hit HARD in the front, used to trade parts with for the 2000's bed

2000 Ford Ranger - Light hit in the back, made a nice profit on this clean truck

Plus the 88 XJ Waggy and the 99 XJ

#10 ·
Technically my fist car was a '74 buick lesabre, but I wrecked it before I had my license so we wont count it :rofl:..Then a '85 turbo volvo that I sold afew weeks after I bought it..

Then finally I got my license and my mother and father helped me buy my pride and joy, a '00 WJ. About the same time my sister bought a caddilac catera, and long story short I ended up selling her the WJ real cheap so she would have a decent vehicle (under the stipulation that I get it back when she gets a new car), and started driving the family beater (97 aerostar). That was the only car I've owned that wasn't a jeep that I thought was halfway decent, it kicked all sorts of minivan butt :D.. Skip afew months later and my mom borrowed the van while I was working on her taurus and wrecked it, resulting in my 90 xj. Not too bad for a 18 year old eh?

So now I get to wrench on my xj and dream about the day I get the wj back :)

#13 ·
i had an 97 Ram Charger. 90 Subaru Legacy. 02 WRX, STI motor swapped, 94 Exploder that exploded, 92 Talon TSI, 96 Legacy GT and now i have the XJ and a 93 Civic DD

i had the XJ as well as the last 4 on that list so it isn't new to me

only pics i have are of the wrx

the talon

the jeep

#15 ·
Click Free.

Mine in order

95 S-10 (sold)
88 YJ (Sold)
87 XJ (totaled)
95 XJ (brother totaled it)
01 XJ (Sold)
98 (XJ) Current

#17 ·
From the beginning -

89 2wd S10 - No Power Steering, heat didn't work
87 2wd F150 - 300 6...heckuva truck
93 YJ - 2" BDS Susp, 5/8" MORE Shackles, 1" MORE Body Lift, Herc'ed Tub, OR Fab rear bumper, 31" muds, etc.
96 Chev. 1500 4x4 - 4.3L V6, 5sp. Nice truck too
2001 Ducati Monster 750 Metallic - Chopped Tail, cored & painted pipes
98 GMC Sonoma 2wd - Bought for mileage, sold b/c I kept getting stuck in the parking lots to my hunting spots

Then the XJ :)

Here's some pics -

YJ -

1/2 Ton Chev -

Sonoma -

Ducati (riding w/ my dad) -

A couple days later -

#21 ·
from the begining

1997 chevy 2500 ext cab long box on 35's wrecked (damn elk)
1998 chevy 3500 cc long box on 37's (sold)
1995 s-10 blazer on 33's (totalled by a drunk)
1998 s-10 blazer stock (gave to my sister)
1995 saturn sl2 (totalled by an a hole blowing a red light)
1993 olds cutlass supreme 3.8L supercharged swap, great car I really miss. (sold)
1989 Cherokee stock (rolled and sold)
1992 nissan 1600zx or something like that $500 car pos (sold)
198? Toyota 4 runner bought it rolled, rolled it again (sold)
1979 Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel cruiser (sadly and regrettably sold)
1970 baja bug full cage watercooled motor swap could wheelie through 3rd (sold)
1998 Cherokee, currently own it
2007 Dodge 1500, currently own it

Damn I go through cars, most of them were second or third cars either for gas milliage or fun, working at a car lot I buy trade ins and keep 'em until I get tired of them, my insurance agent hates me because of all the car switching.

#23 ·
My 88 GMC i did everything on this truck and still hated it lol. 355 motor 350 trans 12 bolt rear lift and 35 inch tires ended up trading with my dad for his dump truck which i sold

Then my race car 92 honda civic 420whp still have this one only driven in the summer and at the track.. this thing is the reason i think off roading is so cheap lol

#32 ·
My 88 GMC i did everything on this truck and still hated it lol. 355 motor 350 trans 12 bolt rear lift and 35 inch tires ended up trading with my dad for his dump truck which i sold

Then my race car 92 honda civic 420whp still have this one only driven in the summer and at the track.. this thing is the reason i think off roading is so cheap lol

Very nice man. I am a big Honda guy myself.

Ive had:
-96 Honda Civic coupe (pretty much stock - wrecked)
-92 Honda Civic hatch (swapped, built, and boosted)
-93 Honda Del sol (swapped, built, and boosted)
-94 Acura Integra (swapped, built for all motor)
-94 Honda Del sol (swapped)
-91 Honda CRX (swapped, built for all motor)

Then I got my first XJ (4.5" lift on 33" boggers)

Switched it up and bought a 1979 Chevy Malibu (Built 350 w/ TH400 trans)

Got another Honda Civic. 2002 Si (my DD now)

Now I'm on my 2nd XJ, building it groud up :)

#24 ·
1. 86 Cherokee Laredo Bought for $1000 and sold a year later for $1250
2. 91 Toyota 4 Runner bought for $3400 and sold for $3800
3. 2005 VW GTI 1.8t Bought for $21,000 and sold for $15,800 (lost a little but bought it new, Would have kept it but the payments where to much)
4. 88 Cherokee bought for $2000 with 130,000 miles on the OD

GTI

Current Cherokee

#25 ·
1. 86 Cherokee Laredo Bought for $1000 and sold a year later for $1250
2. 91 Toyota 4 Runner bought for $3400 and sold for $3800
3. 2005 VW GTI 1.8t Bought for $21,000 and sold for $15,800 (lost a little but bought it new, Would have kept it but the payments where to much)
4. 88 Cherokee bought for $2000 with 130,000 miles on the OD

GTI

Nice GTI. That was my vehicle before my xj. Had big turbo and everything but couldnt afford it. Plus i like the jeepin lifestyle alot better. :2thumbsup:

#28 ·
88 cadillac fleetwood first car ( and f-en pimpmoble) totaled 7 months later
97 caravan force to buy it distroyed trans-axel write off ( would have been 1500 more than its worth to fix) 1 yr
98 blazer forced again (was looken for an xj but my dad made me get this) 9months later totaled
and now the xj (it picked me :) )

#29 ·
Well my cherokee was my FIRST vehicle but i have had/barrowed alot of vehicles since then.
I half owned a 90 t-bird for a while. I made a deal to sell it and get half the money. Started it up for sale at 3000 sold it for 300. It was accualy a pretty nice car. Ran GREAT. only had like 65000 miles

Then i drove a 96 f250 with a powerstroke for a while. (dads) untill i crashed it :( This was when my jeep had a fried ingition and harness.
I also drove a 06 Grand about 4 days a week when i was in highschool. it was a carpool thing with my mom to save gas. I was happy, i got to drive a brand new jeep to school lol. (you can see it in this pic)

Then when i blew the rear end in my jeep i drove a 93-94 burban for a few months. It was SPOTLESS i was afraid to drive it. Might get the floor mats dirty. it was fun to drive though....has a big block. and i was used to jeep power. lol

Then i got sick of my jeep breaking (not its fault, i beat it hard) so i bought a new truck for a DD/tow rig.

I bought it and it sat 3-4 days a week becuase i kept driving the jeep lol. But for about 4 months now my jeep has been sitting in the woods with one axle so i cant wait to get it back together and start driving it again.

Oh and within the next year i will own a sports car. maybe a WS6 or a iroc. Something with t-tops and a big engine. lol

#33 · (Edited)
80 Ford Granada
82 Chevrolet Citation X-11
86 Dodge Colt E (POS)
89 Honda Prelude S (First "real" foreign car)
88 Acura Legend Coupe
88 Toyota Corolla FX16
92 Lexus LS400 (first time to 150 mph)

65 Chevy Corvair Monza (trophy winner)

60 Chevy Corvair 700 sedan (movie credits) / 61 Chevy Corvair Loadside Pickup (background)

90 Acura Integra (Badass/trophy winner/gone too soon)

95 Suzuki Sidekick (Lotta fun but it did a 360 deg spin while making a turn in the rain..then got a boat..so it had to go)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.