VegasGT's WhiteTrash 'Manche Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's WhiteTrash 'Manche Build

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

VegasGT's WhiteTrash 'Manche Build

Figured I might as well make a new build to keep my XJ build clean.

Always wanted an MJ, basically gave up on it off and on in life because they seem to rarely pop up on my local craigslist, and when they do its always a damn long bed 4 banger with rust.

Finally got lucky (and I use that term loosely) and bought this '88 MJ for $1200.

Its got terrible brakes, no brakelights or dash lights, its flat black, and has a D35 and some of the ugliest wheels on the planet. White trash huntin truck at its finest.

Buuuut its a rust free 4wd shortbed with only 146k original miles and a Renix 4.0 that purrs like a damn kitten. This will be my new trail rig, but Ive got plans to bring the aesthetics to my standards as well. This wont be "tastefully cheap" but it will be fun as ****. Stay tuned.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find there, can't wait to see it evolve.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Excited to see what you will do with this one.
Unread 12-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So what's your first move? Bumpers, rockers, body work, or carnage?
Unread 12-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Nice find there, can't wait to see it evolve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Excited to see what you will do with this one.
Thanks guys. Ive really got my work cut out for me on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
So what's your first move? Bumpers, rockers, body work, or carnage?
First thing I need to do is trace down my wiring issue with the brake lights and dash lights. Not a big deal for this right now since I dont even have it tagged, but it bothers me.

After that, since the end setup will be 3.5-4" ish lift on 35's, Im going to be working on prepping the body for that. Just gonna pull both bumpers off, trim fenders, and do the MJ version of a rear quarter cut and fold, and plannin to take about 9" out of the bed to reduce rear overhang. Never done a bed bob before so that ones got me a bit nervous but it will be an essential mod for the wheeling it will see.

Honestly, this will go pretty slow at first id imagine, gotta gather parts and all that. Kinda bought it at a bad time with Christmas coming up but I had the cash and didnt want to let that get away.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's funny because I was just looking at an ' 86 longbox with 300K on a 2.5 stick for under a grand. Almost rust free.

119" wheelbase is useless in the woods, and way too much involved to move the spring hangers for truck that won't take a 4.0L transplant. (easily) I have a' 95 XJ waiting to surrender it's drivetrain for a better purpose.

Have fun
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Thanks guys. Ive really got my work cut out for me on this one.

First thing I need to do is trace down my wiring issue with the brake lights and dash lights. Not a big deal for this right now since I dont even have it tagged, but it bothers me.

After that, since the end setup will be 3.5-4" ish lift on 35's, Im going to be working on prepping the body for that. Just gonna pull both bumpers off, trim fenders, and do the MJ version of a rear quarter cut and fold, and plannin to take about 9" out of the bed to reduce rear overhang. Never done a bed bob before so that ones got me a bit nervous but it will be an essential mod for the wheeling it will see.

Honestly, this will go pretty slow at first id imagine, gotta gather parts and all that. Kinda bought it at a bad time with Christmas coming up but I had the cash and didnt want to let that get away.
I would love to have been in the same situation but I'd have had to buy some armor for myself to save from the wife beating my ***.
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You and MotorCharge are really making me want to get an MJ for my extra vehicle.

Too bad I can't put two carseats in one lol.
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
That's funny because I was just looking at an ' 86 longbox with 300K on a 2.5 stick for under a grand. Almost rust free.

119" wheelbase is useless in the woods, and way too much involved to move the spring hangers for truck that won't take a 4.0L transplant. (easily) I have a' 95 XJ waiting to surrender it's drivetrain for a better purpose.

Have fun
Haha yea the longbox trucks are just a bit long for my tastes unless we are talkin tons and 40's. I believe the shortwheelbase is still 113" so it will take sone getting used to. Already planning on flat belly and full skids. Im sure the end result will be a capability compromise, where some obstacles will favor my XJ's current setup while others will favor the MJ's stability. Will be fun to see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I would love to have been in the same situation but I'd have had to buy some armor for myself to save from the wife beating my ***.
Haha surprisingly my wife encouraged the idea when I brought it up. Kinda works out, basically gives us another extra vehicle to have around when I get it road/trail ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
You and MotorCharge are really making me want to get an MJ for my extra vehicle.

Too bad I can't put two carseats in one lol.
Haha yea thats why Im keeping the XJ, expecting my 2nd kiddo in February.

By the way, im surprised no one's noticed whats off about the front end lol
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find. I'll be watching
Unread 12-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
Nice find. I'll be watching
Thanks, ill try not to disappoint.

Few more pics now that its home. Next day we have thats not total garbage Im going to start ridding this thing of a lot of unnecessary sheetmetal,

And i DO have the original tailgate as well, just need to work on the linkages a bit, its pretty straight overall though other than at the top above the handle.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
By the way, im surprised no one's noticed whats off about the front end lol
where's motorcharge when we need him?
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
amerbritcan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So jealous. My oldest memory of my grandpa is him in his gold and black MJ, 2.5L stick shift, 4x4 short box he bought new. Gold and stickered up with these black graphics that said Comanche all over it. Bull bar on the front.

There's no such thing as an MJ up here anymore, the only one for sale is 4 hours away, longbox 2.5 2wd and is $9k.

I lose my S*** over MJ's
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
where's motorcharge when we need him?
I got nothin. Maybe it's cuz I'm on my phone and it's too small to notice. I thought maybe it was a diesel since it appears to be plugged in and I don't recall there being shift indicators in the gauges in Renix era XJs, but he's said it's a 4.0 a few times.
Unread 12-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

wait a minute, that front axle looks wiiiide...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.