VegasGT's "TastefullyCheap" Build - '99 XJ - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "TastefullyCheap" Build - '99 XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #526
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
did you hit a tree
Yea, was messing around with the front Aussie and climbing up the tree. Slid back down off it though and got to test the corner protection on the Dirtbound bumper lol. All good.

July 2013 COTM
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #527
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Its unreal how much it really helped. The biggest advantage over being open is it really let me slow my pace down and pick just the right line. Before I had to be a bit more careless in some cases to keep momentum going. The locked front just dug and pulled up onto everything. Money well spent!!!

I didnt get hardly any pics this go around, spent so much time exploring new parts of the park I was afraid to go before. I didnt keep track of the odometer but I wheeled for hours, no telling how many miles I covered out there.

I did manage to obtain a bit of carnage first thing this morning.

It was in need of replacing anyway. Been hanging somewhat low, surprised I didnt rip it off sooner.
Got any pics or tips for the Aussie install up front? Glad to hear it makes such a nice difference. I'm curious how it effects your steering/handling.

Being able to stay out of the throttle when wheeling any obstacles is a huge advantage. :-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #528
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Got any pics or tips for the Aussie install up front? Glad to hear it makes such a nice difference. I'm curious how it effects your steering/handling.

Being able to stay out of the throttle when wheeling any obstacles is a huge advantage. :-)
I did manage to take a fair amount of pics during install that I intend to do a bit of a writeup on, just havent had the time yet. I barely got everything done before the weekend's trip, spent the whole weekend wheeling, and right back to work today. Ill try and get all that up soon.

As far overall performance, in 2WD it is almost completely undetectable. In 4WD Ill just say you will not forget its there. Since theres a small amount of torque applied even on light throttle, it is quite audible ratcheting on tight turns in the rocks. Thats the only "issue" I had, but I was not bothered. The locker knew just when to give to make steering easy, but immediately locked solid when I was ready for it.

I wheeled for a long time (Im talking hours and miles of trails) over anything from steep hills with loose dirt and washed out roots to big rock ledges as tall as my tires, and I never encountered a single obstacle the Jeep wouldnt pull up on. If I couldnt make an obstacle it was because the ledge was too tall and I was resting on the crossmember. Otherwise it was absolutely unstoppable within the limits of my tire size/belly clearance. If my XJ exploded into dust tomorrow and I had to start all over, I would have an Aussie in the D30 before I even hit the suspension components bolts with PB Blaster. It is that good.

Ill try and get pics up of the install here in a couple days.

July 2013 COTM
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #529
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

For ****s and gigs, after the rocks ripped my exhaust off we decided to fire up one of the hills at the Playground. The video doesnt do the hill or even the obnoxious sound justice haha

July 2013 COTM
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #530
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ill try and run through the Aussie install, I took several pictures but once I got the carrier out things got pretty messy and I didnt take any.

Obvious first steps is to get the Jeep on stands, pull the front wheels, brakes, then hub assemblies and slide the axles out about 6 inches or so to let the carrier come forward out of the housing.

Then grab something to catch the fluid and remove all the diff cover bolts except the top one (leave it loose). Seperate the cover and let the fluid drain out, then pull the cover off and set it aside.

Once everything was opened up I took brake cleaner and cleaned the oil off to make things easier to work with. From this point forward is when being thorough is mandatory. The carrier needs to come out, and ring gear has to be removed from the carrier to get the center pin out. My pin would not clear the 3.55 ring gear. Everything in here must go back exactly as it was. Mark the bearing cap retainers in a way that you will know their original orientation. They must go back on the same side and bolted in with the same end facing up as it is here. Using a punch, I lightly tapped one mark into the top of the drivers side retainer, and 2 in the top of the pass side.

Now remove the 4 bolts holding the carrier, then remove the retainers and set all the aside. The carrier is now ready to come out, it took a little gentle prying but mine popped right out. Note: as you are doing this, keep an eye on the bearing caps if they fall. They need to go back on the same side as well. Now the housing should look like this.

Back to the carrier, I used plastic bags and a couple of my wifes hair ties (oopss) to seal up the bearings from dirt during the rest of the process. After this is where I quit snapping pics however. Also, it is important to look at your spider gears, give them a smirk, and tell them "**** you and good riddance"

The Aussie directions cover the install fairly well, although they are somewhat general for many applications. Ill just kind of mention things that were of importance.

Wrap a rag around the carrier and stick it in a bench vise. Using a permanent marker, mark the ring gear to carrier orientation so you can match it up again later. I marked 3 spots in case I wore the permanent market off one. This turned out to be a smart practice.

The bolts are torqued to 80 ft/lbs, something with nice leverage will help. Remove the ring gear, tap out the roll pin, the the center pin and rotate the spiders out, CAREFULLY watching the thrust washers! These must go back where they came from well. Aussie had good instructions for putting the locker together, just make sure you use feeler gauges to measure the two gaps they call for, making sure they are in spec. I used a lot of grease to keep everything together in the process.

After everything is in there, slide the center pin in and secure it with the roll pin, then match up the ring gear and torque in a star pattern. Then its just a matter of installing everything in the housing just as it came, clean off old RTV and use brake cleaner on everything one last time before applying new RTV and putting the cover back on.

I installed my IRO rod at this time also.

July 2013 COTM
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #531
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just realized how little your XJ is actually modded.

welp. Nice write up.
[CENTER][SIZE="1"][Color="Blue"][b]00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"[/b][/color](August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/blue-waffle-build-thread-1807113"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Waffle Build Thread[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]
Built Not Bought #704[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][i]Past Jeeps:[/i]
[Color="Red"][B]93 ZJ Laredo[/B][/color](Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
[COLOR="Tan"][B]96 ZJ Laredo[/B][/COLOR](April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="silver"]Monstaliner: [url]http://monstaliner.com/[/url]
Iron Rock Offroad: [url]http://ironrockoffroad.com/[/url][/SIZE][/COLOR]
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #532
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ

welp. Nice write up.
What is that supposed to mean?
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #533
JeepN4KC

Thnx for the pics and write-up. Couple tips u have there I wouldn't have thought of.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #534
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

welp. Nice write up.
And open/open on all terrains is heavily modded? Lol

Jp man, I assume youre talking about a stock trackbar and endlinks. I dont have swaybar disco's cause I almost never rum swaybars. The last pic was a rarity because I had to haul creek rock that day.

As for the trackbar, its redrilled over and axle is perfectly center, and since I drive an hour to WBR, beat on it and drive it home, its comforting to know every parts store carries a trackbar if I bust one.

Hasnt hurt flex much or anything.

July 2013 COTM
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #535
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Thnx for the pics and write-up. Couple tips u have there I wouldn't have thought of.
No problem, it really was a simple install, just gotta spend some extra time marking everything. Well worth the effort!

July 2013 COTM
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #536
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Jp man, I assume youre talking about a stock trackbar and endlinks. I dont have swaybar disco's cause I almost never rum swaybars. The last pic was a rarity because I had to haul creek rock that day.

As for the trackbar, its redrilled over and axle is perfectly center, and since I drive an hour to WBR, beat on it and drive it home, its comforting to know every parts store carries a trackbar if I bust one.
Yeah I was. Fair enough, don't blame you that line of thinking.

Also, I could argue that all day since even though I'm open/open I have more stuff invested :P

Gotta find a HP30 to swap before I can do a locker.
[CENTER][SIZE="1"][Color="Blue"][b]00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"[/b][/color](August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/blue-waffle-build-thread-1807113"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Blue"]Blue Waffle Build Thread[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[Color="Red"][B]93 ZJ Laredo[/B][/color](Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
[COLOR="Tan"][B]96 ZJ Laredo[/B][/COLOR](April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold[/SIZE]

Unread 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #537
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah I was. Fair enough, don't blame you that line of thinking.

Also, I could argue that all day since even though I'm open/open I have more stuff invested :P

Gotta find a HP30 to swap before I can do a locker.
Lol yea, I can give you that. Im still relatively bare bones but Ive got it all tailored to what I do with it and upgrade accordingly based on what I feel is lacking in the setup.

I still need to do sliders, rear cut n fold bumper and belly skid but overall its performed just the way I want it to and done it reliably. I dont intend to buy much anything that I wont directly see the benefit of on the trails/rocks, etc.

July 2013 COTM
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #538
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I need to do cut n' fold, belly, and sliders eventually, but at the same time I want to get rid of my ****ty LP 30.

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #539
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Yeah I need to do cut n' fold, belly, and sliders eventually, but at the same time I want to get rid of my ****ty LP 30.
^^^ Yes.......and me too. :-)

Don't get the change to the LP30 on Jeep's part.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #540
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got lucky on having the last year for HP30's thankfully. But I am in dire need of a cut-n-fold. I came down on the back super hard over the weekend but the leaf took the hit. Its a matter of time before the quarters get crunched if I dont get my *** in gear lol

July 2013 COTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.