VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 71 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #1051
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Speaking of the car, drove up to work on it at the shop today and instead got to drive the rollback to pick up a Kia for the shop. What a perfect tow rig this thing would be. Stroke and stick.
Every time I see one of these going down the road, all I can think of is having the Jeep on the back and being on my way to MOAB or the Rubicon.

NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #1052
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
im mad at you

why did you paint above the rear fender
Its been that way since early last year. When I did my rear fender trim I ran into some bondo on the drivers side near the lip. It cracked when I cut and folded so I grinded it down to metal to see what I was working with, had to paint over the fender wells like that to cover it up.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #1053
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Every time I see one of these going down the road, all I can think of is having the Jeep on the back and being on my way to MOAB or the Rubicon.
Oh man I know it. They really arent even as tough to maneuver as they look either, considering its as long as two crew can fullsize trucks. Id road trip the hell out of it.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #1054
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Its been that way since early last year. When I did my rear fender trim I ran into some bondo on the drivers side near the lip. It cracked when I cut and folded so I grinded it down to metal to see what I was working with, had to paint over the fender wells like that to cover it up.
Wow I have not been paying attention I guess.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #1055
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Finding body damage/ repair is no fun. Mine had a tiny bit from what I assume was it getting rear ended. Nothing on the frame rails, but installing the relo brackets I had to grind it to match the small creases on the rear cross member when the bumper mount is.
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #1056
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofhardy View Post
Finding body damage/ repair is no fun. Mine had a tiny bit from what I assume was it getting rear ended. Nothing on the frame rails, but installing the relo brackets I had to grind it to match the small creases on the rear cross member when the bumper mount is.
No doubt, little surprises like that are very unwelcome obstacles to get around.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #1057
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, had a stretch of bad luck here lately with things. The Jeep has been great, but it appears my Mustang project will come to an end early on, and Im telling this tale here because it will be affecting the Jeep in a positive way.

So I picked up the car through auction using dealers license, dropped it off at the shop I was going to be doing the frame work at and it sit for a couple months. Temps have been below freezing, and one thing I didnt think to do was drain coolant on the car. I checked and seen that antifreeze was present but at the time had no idea how cold it was going to be, so I never gave it another thought.

Tuesday I go to start the car to pull it inside on the frame rack, and smell belt melting. Hopped out and seen the waterpump wasnt budging, and upper rad hose was froze solid. Uh oh. Removed belt and pulled inside to thaw out and assess the damage the next day. Well, Im clearly very unlucky, drained the oil the next day and found more water than oil. Hard freeze busted the block. FML.

Lucky for me I didnt have a lot of money in the car, and it has plenty of good parts. Had tossed the idea of swapping in a new motor but its really not feasible and will push me past the point of being able to profit if I chose to sell it when it was fixed. So Ill be parting it out, and based on my figuring, just selling the main parts (fenders, hood, wheels/tires, tranny and rear end) should bring enough money in to where I can still profit off the car thanks to a low buy in price.

With the money I get from the part out I will probably start buying cheap fixer uppers to clean up/ do basic maintenance and flip for profit like I used to do before my daughter was born. Since XJ's are still in good demand here and Im already super familiar with the platform that will probably be the majority of vehicles I buy. So if all goes to plan be ready to see a world of XJ's popping in and out this year in the thread.

This affects MY build in that the profit turned on each one will help fund the build along faster, and help me keep things off the wifes radar haha.

All this aside, Im getting a good amount back on taxes so I plan to pick up some of the needed things Ive been off. Including

*HD Offroad Engineering stiffys.
*Tcase/belly skid - considered making my own but really like the look of Dirtbounds belly skid and its only $175
*Metalcloak/Currie control arms
*Doublesheer trackbar, probably IRO
*Do my rocker replacement.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #1058
thenewguy79
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you can turn a bad situation into a good one!
thenewguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #1059
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

More money for the jeep!
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #1060
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy79 View Post
Glad you can turn a bad situation into a good one!
I consider myself an optimistic person. Every failure is an opportunity to improve your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
More money for the jeep!
Oh yes, Im pretty thrilled to get some more parts thrown at it. I do intend to add in some creature comforts as well, since I do use my XJ for extended weekend wheeling/camping. Like to add a good power inverter strong enough to run a toaster oven or grinder, as well as a trans cooler and temp gauge. Will also probably go ahead and run spacers and the grey Eccos I have.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #1061
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Will also probably go ahead and run spacers and the grey Eccos I have.
GOOD

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #1062
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
GOOD
Yea, I keep changing my mind on it, so I figure Ill dig em out of storage and swap my 32s over to em without spacers first, then decide what I think of em. Mount and balance will be free at my bud's shop so if I dont like it Ill have lost nothing but a little time.

I think Ill like it though, something about seeing a beefy tire on factory wheels gives me a woody. Not that my 32s are beefy at all, but they are compared to 235s thats on the Eccos now lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #1063
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Yea, I keep changing my mind on it, so I figure Ill dig em out of storage and swap my 32s over to em without spacers first, then decide what I think of em. Mount and balance will be free at my bud's shop so if I dont like it Ill have lost nothing but a little time. I think Ill like it though, something about seeing a beefy tire on factory wheels gives me a woody. Not that my 32s are beefy at all, but they are compared to 235s thats on the Eccos now lol.
I like the stock wheel big tire look too. My goal is KJ icons and 235/85 16s

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #1064
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
I like the stock wheel big tire look too. My goal is KJ icons and 235/85 16s
Icons are a damn good lookin wheel! One of my favorites.

Im just ready to get some real progress done, hasnt been any real "build" in this build thread for months now. Im ready to get parts coming to the door and crank the welder up again.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #1065
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Eccos are quite a sexy wheel! I may be a little partial though. This winter has been way to slow for both of our builds though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.