VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 67 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 12-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #991
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
Good write up. I noticed you ran a normal bolt through just the inside of the new bracket, where the old shackle bolt went. I used my old shackle bolt and ran it through the entire bracket. I think it held it together a little better, but I'm no engineer
I just used the bolt supplied in the box there. Did you have any problems with bending the bracket inward a bit? Unless you used a crush sleeve in the middle to take up the gap it seems like you couldnt really put as much torque to it without starting to tweak the bracket a bit. Although with a shackle bolted up it shouldnt tweak I dont suppose, it is 1/4" after all lol.

I just used the short bolt because theres nothin to try and force inward while torquing. Just a 1/4" plate snugging flat against the nutsert on the rail.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #992
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

For me the shackle was narrower than the bracket, so I used the bolt to pull the bracket in just enough to where it all fit nice
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #993
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
For me the shackle was narrower than the bracket, so I used the bolt to pull the bracket in just enough to where it all fit nice
Ahh, gotcha. I added a washer in there to take up a little gap so I didnt have to pull the bracket in real far. Either way of doing it is just fine Im sure, these things are so damn solid in there I feel like the rest of my Jeep is weak now haha. Anxious to tie up some loose ends today and maybe test it out a bit. Piss pouring rain right now. :/
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #994
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just finished reading through your whole build. Last night I got about 10 notifications on my phone because people kept posting. I wish mine was that busy. haha You did a great job on the install. I think I am going to go write mine now.
I used the rear most bottom hole with the JKS boomerang shackles. My brackets must have been a bit tight because the JKS shackles were a pain to get aligned properly. I have the Crown HD OEM leaf springs and this whole set up rides great and the flex is rediculous! You are going to love these brackets and the performance they provide.
If you have not seen it yet you can get a $50 refund for doing two right ups. Details HERE. This could help move your other projects along.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #995
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofhardy View Post
I just finished reading through your whole build. Last night I got about 10 notifications on my phone because people kept posting. I wish mine was that busy. haha You did a great job on the install. I think I am going to go write mine now.
I used the rear most bottom hole with the JKS boomerang shackles. My brackets must have been a bit tight because the JKS shackles were a pain to get aligned properly. I have the Crown HD OEM leaf springs and this whole set up rides great and the flex is rediculous! You are going to love these brackets and the performance they provide.
If you have not seen it yet you can get a $50 refund for doing two right ups. Details HERE. This could help move your other projects along.

Haha Im sorry to put you through reading all this stuff, I believe my build is mainly discussion more than build at times. Actually Ill have had this XJ exactly one year on this upcoming Thursday. Time flies when you are having fun.

Im DYING to take this thing for a drive and flex session. Im this close to finally seeing what all the fuss is about!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #996
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Daytime shot with bumper reinstalled.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #997
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Still no wheeling time on the new shackle setup (should this weekend though) but I do have a good bit of drive time on it. My daily commute consists of driving through an access road by the local quarry that all the big rock trucks, as well as concrete mixer trucks travel on multiple times daily. To say this road is a lumpy, pothole infested excuse for a public roadway is an understatement. Ive been getting beat to **** on that road forever.

With the new, corrected shackle angle however it is a joy, even with junk shocks. I purposely haul genuine *** down the road now and bust a nut over how well the *** end hovers over all the bumps. I want to borrow my buddies go pro and get a shoy of the rear axle soaking all this up. It is nothing short of magical, and I love driving this thing even more than before. It does make the less than ideal ride of 4.5" short arm front more apparent, but itll take more than that to wipe this grin off my face.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #998
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

They look good, im just concerned with how they are against the floor. Id be worried about the floor giving out. granted all the weight isnt on the floor due to the nut strips but i still feel like its a possibility. Other wise looks good.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #999
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
They look good, im just concerned with how they are against the floor. Id be worried about the floor giving out. granted all the weight isnt on the floor due to the nut strips but i still feel like its a possibility. Other wise looks good.
Where do you think your factory sheetmetal shacklebox mounts to?

The vertical load is taken up entirely by the section under the rail, the bolts through the floor mainly serve to keep the bracket from twisting out or in under flexing. I honestly feel this is probably the strongest shackle relocation setup out there, considering the other option is to add MORE leverage to an already thin shacklebox. That said Ive not heard of durability issues with any setup.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #1000
kevinofhardy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am glad that you like them so far. Do they live up to the hype?

I agree that they can be nothing but stronger than the OEM box. 1/4 in steel vs sheet metal, 3 bolts in the frame rail, OEM shackle bolt, and two bolts sandwiching the floor.
The floor plate has more surface area on the floor than the OEM box did. So even with just that fact they would be stronger.

Post 1000 on your build thread. That is pretty sweet!
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #1001
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
. That said Ive not heard of durability issues with any setup.
^^^ This.

I've never heard of anybody ripping the factory shackle box out of their rig - let alone any aftermarket relo kit.

The heaviest load IMO is probably the shear forces on the f/r spring eye bolts and the shackle bolt. I have yet to hear of these snapping either. Not to say it hasn't to somebody somewhere out there, but still, just say'n........

The HDE relo set-up looks damn stout! Nice job.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #1002
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Where do you think your factory sheetmetal shacklebox mounts to?

The vertical load is taken up entirely by the section under the rail, the bolts through the floor mainly serve to keep the bracket from twisting out or in under flexing. I honestly feel this is probably the strongest shackle relocation setup out there, considering the other option is to add MORE leverage to an already thin shacklebox. That said Ive not heard of durability issues with any setup.
This is true lol idk go beat on em for a little and let me know how they work lol cause apparently the LII sliders dont hold up for **** if you land on em so that idea when out the window.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1003
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofhardy View Post
I am glad that you like them so far. Do they live up to the hype?

I agree that they can be nothing but stronger than the OEM box. 1/4 in steel vs sheet metal, 3 bolts in the frame rail, OEM shackle bolt, and two bolts sandwiching the floor.
The floor plate has more surface area on the floor than the OEM box did. So even with just that fact they would be stronger.

Post 1000 on your build thread. That is pretty sweet!
Ohh yea, I put these on my list of "**** I shoulda done a long time ago." Got a good chunk of drive time on these now and have nothing bad to say. Its made my daily commute so much more enjoyable. I actually catch myself peeking at my sideview mirror over the rough stuff to watch the rear soak up everything. I feel like I drive a Baja 1000 worthy ride by comparison to stock. Amazing what a 45 degree difference will do.

I should also mention that what little trail time Ive had on these, the Jeep has felt like an entirely new rig. Ive had an entire season of wheeling at my nearest offroad park, which is almost entirely rock, and while it did pretty good I cannot wait to hit up the tougher trails again with the new setup. It is so much more BALANCED now than before. Both front and rear are close in performance in the articulation department now, which translates into the Jeep staying more level over tough transitions, making it feel that much more stable. Best $100 Ive spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ This.

I've never heard of anybody ripping the factory shackle box out of their rig - let alone any aftermarket relo kit.

The heaviest load IMO is probably the shear forces on the f/r spring eye bolts and the shackle bolt. I have yet to hear of these snapping either. Not to say it hasn't to somebody somewhere out there, but still, just say'n........

The HDE relo set-up looks damn stout! Nice job.
Yep, thats why I made sure to add that last part in there. I have NEVER heard of a torn out shackle box or anything of the sort. Even tho it looks weak (my cutoff wheel literally tore it out in a couple mins on pass side) it is more than strong enough. I didnt choose the no lift HD Offroad setup for the strength, I just REALLY didnt want lift. While I am super satisfied with them, I encourage everyone to correct their shackle angle SOMEHOW. All the brackets out there achieve the same performance, pick one and buy it. You would be cheating yourself by running a 90* shackle angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
This is true lol idk go beat on em for a little and let me know how they work lol cause apparently the LII sliders dont hold up for **** if you land on em so that idea when out the window.
Haha I dont have extensive testing done yet, but I feel confident in saying that if you mess these brackets up on the trail then your Jeep will be totally ****ed. This setup is SOLID, I honestly feel the unibody would tweak before these bend.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #1004
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Had some unexpected troubles with the Jeep. Randomly died on me last night while Christmas shopping, and I didnt think much of it til today. I took a brief trip to town, died on me 2 miles from the house, started back up pretty quickly. I carried on and made it to my destination. When I go to leave it starts and dies 3 secs later, then just cranks and cranks. Finally got it going and it died 4 times with a mile stretch of road. Somehow I got it goin after that and made it home. All this, plus some wild ups and downs in rapid succession on the tach, and I was banking on my original 207k mileage crank sensor to have bit the dust.

This booger is in a terrible place. After you get it out:

You will look kinda like this:

And have said numerous 4 letter words by the time you get the new one back in:

Everything seems to be back in working order now, although itll take me another week of driving before I trust the damn thing.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #1005
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

What brand of CPS did you install?
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.