VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 63 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #931
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Glue

I have a '98 'Stang .. waiting. Too many projects makes for a very empty wallet!

'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #932
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Both my ZJ & XJ need rocker repair, rusty PA thank you. I'll start with the "RuffStuff" http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html .
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #933
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
I have a '98 'Stang .. waiting. Too many projects makes for a very empty wallet!
Quote:
Both my ZJ & XJ need rocker repair, rusty PA thank you. I'll start with the "RuffStuff" http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html .
Oh yes, my wallet is featherweight. Its sad because Ive set back enough money for my car to do stiffeners, rocker replacement, and control arms for the XJ lol. The wife doesnt mind me dropping money on the Mustang as much for now haha.

Ill be buying HD offroad stiffeners when the time comes. Good pricing and they are pre drilled for several rosette welds, plus goos thickness for welding to the thin rails easily.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #934
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do the stiffeners first. If you crush a rocker between now and then, oh well.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #935
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Do the stiffeners first. If you crush a rocker between now and then, oh well.
Yea, I suppose you all have a point. Ill probably wait a little longer on the project then. ****in unibodies and their thin ****.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #936
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

You guy's know the XJ better than I, but it seems doing the rock sliders before the frame just moves the crushable point from the rockers to the frame. That could result in much worse damage than rockers.

my $ .02
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #937
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You guy's know the XJ better than I, but it seems doing the rock sliders before the frame just moves the crushable point from the rockers to the frame. That could result in much worse damage than rockers.

my $ .02
Possible, but people run bolton sliders to the factory rail all the time. Most of those only have two bracing legs with a minimal mounting plate held on by some self tappers.

Id be running 3 legs to lengths of 3" angle welded to the rail. 3" angle is all stiffeners are for the most part really. I have access to a good chunk of it for practically nothing, could just make my own lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #938
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg

my $ .02
Nailed it.
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #939
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:

my $ .02
The unirails will take a more significant hit than the rockers. But cutting the stock rockers out and burning 2x6 rockers in before you do uni-stiffeners just doesn't make a lot of sense. Without tie-ins you just have a hunk of steel waiting to be pushed up into everything. And without stiffeners you don't have anything to tie-in to.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #940
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
The unirails will take a more significant hit than the rockers. But cutting the stock rockers out and burning 2x6 rockers in before you do uni-stiffeners just doesn't make a lot of sense. Without tie-ins you just have a hunk of steel waiting to be pushed up into everything. And without stiffeners you don't have anything to tie-in to.
I dont have a bit of disagreement that stiffeners are a needed item to maintain longevity of the Jeep as a whole, but using 3" angle iron to plate the areas the legs are mounted to would be plenty strong to take a side hit. As good as stiffeners are, these Jeeps arent going to fall apart and snap in half out there running tires in the 33" range.

Think about your front rails. They are not plated with stiffeners. Your trackbar bracket is mounted to a relatively small length of the rail which is just as thin as the rest of the rails. It hangs below the rail, mounted to the trackbar which constantly acts on that small area of thin unibody rail as a lever, keeping the entire axle located. Every time you wheel all that force is constantly beating, banging and prying on a 6" long section of thin unibody rail.

By the same logic how is it that that 5 feet of 3/16" tube welded to the top then braced to the rail with 3 legs, that all weld onto 3 6" long pieces of 3" angle iron plug and stitch welded to the sides and bottom of the rail would taco my Jeep when I come down on a rock? Only difference between this way and bought stiffeners is the 3 plated areas would be connected.

I say all this with full intent to do stiffeners, just doing a little devils advocate here to get the brain flowing.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #941
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Death to ****ty shackle angles.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #942
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Righteous!
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #943
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Bank! I'm jelly
Unread 12-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #944
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

HD FTMFW!!!
(i'm going with the lift option though - when I get mine)
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #945
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
HD FTMFW!!!
(i'm going with the lift option though - when I get mine)
HD has some genuinely beefy stuff for sure! I had considered the lift version but Im pretty happy with my current height. That and with my cut and fold I can already see the entire shackle, didnt know if itd look right hanging down any farther.

Ive got another pair of longer shackles that Im going to try and run with these to pick up a half inch of lift or so just to support extra weight of tools and fullsize spare I added.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.