VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 62 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #916
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I want a fox body 302 twin turbo setup good lord the thought of that is enough to make me need a new pair of pants.

Unread 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #917
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Even as a diehard Mustang guy Ill admit that LSx is the way to go if going fast is the subject. Buuuut thats not so much what Im after, Ive had a Camaro and could not stand driving the damn thing, and no matter what I did with the exhaust it cackled like hell and sounded nasty. Everytime I drove it I felt like I was in a coffin with a windshield. Awkward ergonomics on the 93-02 F bodies. Id love to have a 6.0 GTO like Alex's though, just a little out of my price range.
I love my goat to death! It is so much fun to drive and most people think it's a front wheel drive v6 which is awesome since I love the sleeper aspect of it.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #918
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I love my goat to death! It is so much fun to drive and most people think it's a front wheel drive v6 which is awesome since I love the sleeper aspect of it.
Haha yea those cars are legitt!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #919
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, after being dirty a while I threw a quick wash job on the XJ before it got cold.

Then took my buddies flatbed and picked up the car. My free time is indefinitely non existant now between the Jeep and this thing.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #920
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Watch out
http://youtu.be/zgf66ttPBKg
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #921
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

^^ Many years ago I had a friend that had a blown 327 sbc in a CJ, fastest street racer I've ever seen.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #922
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well havent updated in a while, have done any more building but did manage to put it to use. Buddy of mine's grandfather owns the other side of the creek in behind my house, and we went out today to do some basic clearing to get full access to all the areas back there. Didnt cut any new trails, just cleared a few large trees. Sort of a last minute plan but we made a day out of it. Pretty cool looking spots back here.

My wife drove for a good portion of the day, she does pretty well at keeping it off the trees.

Chop chop

Ooohh ahhhh.

Love this view, looking up out of the valley at all the rock formations hanging off the hillside.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #923
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Man I wish I had that in my back yard
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #924
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
Man I wish I had that in my back yard
I know Ill never be able to keep this thing clean again.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #925
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

But any 2x6 yet???
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #926
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
But any 2x6 yet???
Priced materials out yesterday, and my supplier has everything in stock Ill need, just kinda waiting around trying to decide to go ahead and pick that up or start picking up some parts for my car. Not really in any hurry on the car but Id like to make SOME progress I suppose to get it started.

Although honestly Im ready to buy SOMETHING to keep me busy, and I cant start hanging parts on the car til I get it off the frame rack so if my steel supplier is open this Friday I might just go ahead and pick up what I need.

I do have a game plan though. Since my pass side pinch seam is beyond ****ed up I am going to have to trim most of it out, leaving me nothing to really weld the 2x6 to on the backside without welding on some angle. Dont really see the point since Im bracing it anyway so Im going to use 2x4 gapped out and burned in to get same protection as 2x6, then run my bracing legs to 3x3" plated sections of the rail. For the door sill side Im sandwiching the sheetmetal between the 2x4 and 1/8" strap on top. The strap and sheet metal will be drilled through and plug welded through the sheetmetal to the box tube, then weld the edge to the tube as well. Sounds kinda complicated but itll give me a good material to weld to without me burning through. I will be going full length, wheel well to wheel well with the tube.

I do still intend on stiffeners just got too many irons in the fire right now. When I pick up stiffeners Ill simply notch them out where the plated areas are. Im still trying to decide how many bracing legs to run per side.

So yea, If I can get the steel Friday Ill probably get started this weekend but time will tell.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #927
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a good plan to me. Looking forward to seeing it
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #928
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Just my opinion here - but I'd do stiffeners first before it gets any more cumbersome to get in there. That way you're working from the inside out.

My plan is to run 3 legs each side from stiffeners to 2x6.

I too still have to get materials -

Actually I'm still waiting on parts to put the front end back together. :-P

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #929
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The stiffeners will give you a better surface to weld to also
Unread 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #930
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Just my opinion here - but I'd do stiffeners first before it gets any more cumbersome to get in there. That way you're working from the inside out.

My plan is to run 3 legs each side from stiffeners to 2x6.

I too still have to get materials -

Actually I'm still waiting on parts to put the front end back together. :-P
Ill just have to deal with making the stiffener install a little trickier when the time comes, trying to spread money evenly across the projects/hobbies/Christmas. The wiser option would be to wait it out and do everything at once, but not really in my allowed funding for this thing. Materials alone is going to cost a fair amount. I would just leave it alone for the moment but now that I tapped access into an ever growing series of trails with monster rocks in behind the house here, I cant take a chance on the original rockers taking another hit and getting up into the doors. When you have the trail entrance in your backyard its hard NOT to go back there so I need to address this before I screw anything else up back there.

And 3 legs was what I was planning on as well, seems to be pretty standard for people doing replacement rockers.

After that Im going to put no lift shackle relocators up high on the to do list. Even with a mediocre front suspension setup Im running now, the rear end droop is pathetic in comparison. I lifted a tire pretty good out back the other day on a sketchy situation exiting the creekbed offcamber. I could definitely see a direct benefit from a better shackle angle.

Then on top of that spending Ive got my car awaiting to go on the frame rack to pull the pass frame horn down, so Ill need to order up a radiator support, header panel and bumper cover here soon to get everything squared up. For now it sits collecting dust.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.