VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #871
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
Just a suggestion, look into so spacers to keep the links from sliding around. They get noisy and clink and clank over everything.

Yea, that last pic was just tossed together for demo purposes, Im at the hardware store now to track down a spacer. Im sure itd be noisy as hell just loose in there haha.

Edit: what are those spacers made of?

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #872
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nvm, got it lined out after a little trial and error with the hardware store.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #873
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

****ty pic quality but links are done. Currently going at the Jeep with the drill and cutoff wheel. :/
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #874
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Finished up *****ez!

Cut off the old n drilled me a big ol hole.

Run a couple quick welds to hold it, and grinded smooth. Beat it with 3lb mini sledge, didnt fail.

All done up.

Still gotta do some work to give me studs to hang them on when they are disco'd, but so far im so pumped. Just took it for a drive and it was smooth, no clunk, no anything. Pulled in the backyard, pulled a pin on each side and they came right off. Went to hook back up but couldnt get drivers side on due to being parked on a slant. So I backed up to get on a level spot, got out and found the heim had slid itself onto the pin by itself. I think these will serve me well, and it feels even better to know: A. put it together on my own, and B. i spent less than $40 on this. Took a half days worth of work off and on but I enjoy this stuff so I wont consider that a cost.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #875
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Still gotta do some work to give me studs to hang them on when they are disco'd, but so far im so pumped. Just took it for a drive and it was smooth, no clunk, no anything. Pulled in the backyard, pulled a pin on each side and they came right off. Went to hook back up but couldnt get drivers side on due to being parked on a slant. So I backed up to get on a level spot, got out and found the heim had slid itself onto the pin by itself. I think these will serve me well, and it feels even better to know: A. put it together on my own, and B. i spent less than $40 on this. Took a half days worth of work off and on but I enjoy this stuff so I wont consider that a cost.
Were did you get the hiems?
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #876
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Were did you get the hiems?
Supplier on eBay actually.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #877
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Once again I am very impressed with one of your projects! I'm going to add this to my project list. The PO cut off the sway bar mounts from the axle, so it may be a little more involved! I'm thinking about the 2" raised sway bar brackets from Zone.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #878
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cut the stud off flush with the bracket, leaving the head in tact.
then.... HEAT!!!!
Get the torch on those pressed in studs in the sway bar brackets on the axle.
Get those things glowing red hot and start working them loose with a torx bit and breaker bar (they WILL start to budge)
...Then press/pull them out with a puller... (like a pitman arm puller, or a steering wheel puller)
This is how I did it, and it works great! (no drilling required.)
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #879
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Once again I am very impressed with one of your projects! I'm going to add this to my project list. The PO cut off the sway bar mounts from the axle, so it may be a little more involved! I'm thinking about the 2" raised sway bar brackets from Zone.
Thanks! And if you have access to a welder getting mounts back wont be a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Cut the stud off flush with the bracket, leaving the head in tact.
then.... HEAT!!!!
Get the torch on those pressed in studs in the sway bar brackets on the axle.
Get those things glowing red hot and start working them loose with a torx bit and breaker bar (they WILL start to budge)
...Then press/pull them out with a puller... (like a pitman arm puller, or a steering wheel puller)
This is how I did it, and it works great! (no drilling required.)
I had considering going through the heating and pressing out process, but ended up just slicing and drilling. Used good bits cutting oil and it went right on through. I was going to have to drill a little anyway to accept the larger 1/2" pins Im using.

This is up there in the "one of my favorite mods" category for me. Its nice to be able to keep it hooked up (and quiet) for street use, but still be able to disconnect at a moments notice if needed. Im especially happy to have not had to shell out over a 100 bucks on a pair, cause Id probably have just left the swaybar off before I did that haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #880
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Thanks! And if you have access to a welder getting mounts back wont be a problem at all.

I had considering going through the heating and pressing out process, but ended up just slicing and drilling. Used good bits cutting oil and it went right on through. I was going to have to drill a little anyway to accept the larger 1/2" pins Im using.

This is up there in the "one of my favorite mods" category for me. Its nice to be able to keep it hooked up (and quiet) for street use, but still be able to disconnect at a moments notice if needed. Im especially happy to have not had to shell out over a 100 bucks on a pair, cause Id probably have just left the swaybar off before I did that haha.
Ahhh....gotchya.
Your's and mine are real similar, I didnt make my own bar brackets though, I "re-purposed" the ones I had left over from the ProComp Lift.
Other than that, our designs are real similar.
Now that I'm OTK with my steering, (and had to cut my sway bar brackets off to get there)... I need to get some replacements and get them welded back on to hook MY sway bar disconnects back up.
Good job by the way, cant wait to see 'em hooked up!
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #881
Spokes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dont understand these swaybar things you keep talking about

haha looks good man! if i was driving my kid around in it id run sway too! good job

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #882
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #883
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Ahhh....gotchya.
Your's and mine are real similar, I didnt make my own bar brackets though, I "re-purposed" the ones I had left over from the ProComp Lift.
Other than that, our designs are real similar.
Now that I'm OTK with my steering, (and had to cut my sway bar brackets off to get there)... I need to get some replacements and get them welded back on to hook MY sway bar disconnects back up.
Good job by the way, cant wait to see 'em hooked up!
Thanks man. And Im super jealous of that OTK setup of yours. One day Ill be there too, baby steps haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

haha looks good man! if i was driving my kid around in it id run sway too! good job
Thanks man! And lol at the swaybar thing. Id been running without mine for a while and honestly cant tell much of a difference in handling with normal driving situations, only in "ohh **** i gotta swerve to miss this *******" situations was when I considered other options.

I do drive it a lot, including long drives to take it wheeling for the weekend. My biggest thing was Id hook up factory links, then Id run into scenarios where I wish I just had them off, so Id pull em off for a couple weeks. Then after that some dick would cut me off so Id bolt links on.

I figured if Id put some effort into this that itd be so easy to connect/disconnect that really wouldnt have an excuse to run discod on the street again, and my little girl wouldnt be spilling **** in the back from body roll haha.

Heres a couple pics of final fitment.

Grab a pin, slide off, swing up, done.

Still need to fix up a spot for them to swing up to when they are disco'd, but it now official is dark when I get off work so I may have to do that over the weekend. Dark makes me tired lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #884
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's what I did for "Disco Keepers"
No more Whiskey Tango zip ties/rope/wire holding them up when out on the trails.... My welds aren't the prettiest, but they hold up. (sorry for the dirty pics - this is post trail use - and a little more mud than should be up there for picture's sake)
>
1/2" x 2.5" hex head bolts, welded to my front tow hook brackets.

>

they're not there any more as i'm not running my tow hooks any more.
(its the tow hook brackets those are welded to)
Worked real good though.
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #885
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ That's a helluva'n idea.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.