VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #856
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
QUESTION......Do they dim?
Yes... but not much at all. Color choice is important here, I would steer away from their bright white LED's for this reason. These are very manageable, I drove to work in the dark with a dense fog this morning and did not find them the least bit distracting or feel a desire to dim them.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #857
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
No hijack at all! Matter of fact this fits in here perfectly. Been trying to not post much til I get things done, but Ive already begun gathering parts for a mini overhaul, and Ive spent the last two months doing nothing but research on the MC joints, from a number of setups. Im most interested in them over anything else, the JK crowd has had some time to have proven their longevity, several have over 2 years and thousands of miles on them no without issue. I also feel their design will be a lot easier on the relatively weak unibody mounts. Side bonus, they are priced very competively, their front uppers are the same price as Rusty's arms.

All that said, Im about to pull the trigger on a set. Looks like theres a 3-4 week wait for ship time on their site right now, but I will wait. I have no major wheeling event planned the rest of this season, so I want to come back next year wheeling on a greatly improved setup.
I was doing some surfing last night looking over MC, Currie, Clayton, Ironman4x4Fab, TnT, Rusty's - looking at control arms specifically. What CA's from MC were you referring to in your post. I couldn't find anything specific to the XJ, a lot of JK stuff but nothing that I was looking for. I'd skimmed some other threads asking if JK arms are useable on XJs but no real info that I could find. I like the flexibility of MCs joints but how exactly are they applicable to the XJ? This is something I've never really looked into so is it a case of aftermarket arms with MC joints or do they make CA's we could use?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #858
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I was doing some surfing last night looking over MC, Currie, Clayton, Ironman4x4Fab, TnT, Rusty's - looking at control arms specifically. What CA's from MC were you referring to in your post. I couldn't find anything specific to the XJ, a lot of JK stuff but nothing that I was looking for. I'd skimmed some other threads asking if JK arms are useable on XJs but no real info that I could find. I like the flexibility of MCs joints but how exactly are they applicable to the XJ? This is something I've never really looked into so is it a case of aftermarket arms with MC joints or do they make CA's we could use?
Look at their TJ specific short arms. TJ arms are 100% compatible with XJ's, why MetalCloak doesnt choose to market those arms to the XJ crowd better is beyond me, but they do work. Not only that but they have some great pricing, $189 bucks for the adjustable uppers with their flex joint, thats the same price as RC's and Rusty's adj arms.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #859
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Look at their TJ specific short arms. TJ arms are 100% compatible with XJ's, why MetalCloak doesnt choose to market those arms to the XJ crowd better is beyond me, but they do work. Not only that but they have some great pricing, $189 bucks for the adjustable uppers with their flex joint, thats the same price as RC's and Rusty's adj arms.
Gotcha - I wondered if that was the case after I started noticing site after site listing TJ/LJ/XJ arms.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #860
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have it on good authority that MC is working on some R&D as we speak for the XJ. It's not a huge priority, but now that the competition season is basically at the end, they're going to focus a little more on some "in-house" stuff..... incuding the black late model XJ they currently have in their shop....
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #861
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
I have it on good authority that MC is working on some R&D as we speak for the XJ. It's not a huge priority, but now that the competition season is basically at the end, they're going to focus a little more on some "in-house" stuff..... incuding the black late model XJ they currently have in their shop....
Thats exciting news, hope to see them pump out some XJ stuff. I always drooled over MC stuff when I had my TJ, they just really have a great line of products all around, and itd be great to have their products as an option for my XJ as well.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #862
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, I really need to use the wifes DSLR to get a true appreciation, but Im loving the freshened up cluster so damn much I just looked for an excuse to drive the Jeep tonight lol.

In other, less cosmetic oriented news, I hope to start on my quick disco setup this week, heims should be here anyday.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #863
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That looks sweet bud
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #864
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
That looks sweet bud
Thanks man!

In other news, got all my stuff gathered for swaybar quick discos. Idea inspired by Weeder1's setup. Gonna try to make it my own by doing a couple things different, I basically want to make this as convenient and easy as possible. If all goes to plan, one pin per side will be all that needs pulled, then the links will be hung on new studs off the unibody rail to be tucked out of the way.

Ive gotta spend some time fabbing stud to heim brackets, among other things, but I hope to have it done by the end of the weekend. Will post pics as progress is made. Parts pile for now:
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #865
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
With yours being pre 97 Im not sure if the bulbs would be the same, but I used 74-xHP3 led's. They are wide angle, gave perfectly even end result with no hot spots. These: You can see color choices there too. Edit: 97+ calls for 5 of these.
Is that 5 for the speedo cluster and HVAC? By the way, your rig is nice man!
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #866
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redXJhorse View Post
Is that 5 for the speedo cluster and HVAC? By the way, your rig is nice man!
Thanks man! And that 5 is just for the gauge cluster, I havent done much research on what is needed for the HVAC controls.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #867
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome man! Thanks!
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #868
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I got a little done on the new swaybar link setup today. Started out by taking some scrap I had laying around and making brackets to adapt the stud style swaybar to the heims. Very simple to make. 3/8" grade 8 bolt for the stud and 1/2" grade 8 for the heim side.

Snugged them up and moved the swaybar where it needed to sit at ride height. Now I needed to know the eye to eye measurement so I know how long to cut the rod down. Looking like 7.5".

Links ready to go in:

Then went back, sanded and painted the brackets to make it look a little more legit and keep rust at bay. Gotta come with some spacers, and still got work to do on the Jeep itself, but this is pretty much done. You can get an idea of how its all gonna work in this pic.

Basically, ill be welding the pin on the lower side, and plating a small portion of the rail to weld another pin to. All ill have to do is pull one clip, swing the link up on the frame side pin and im disconnected.

However this is all Ive got done so far, natural the Jeep decided to halt my progress. The bolts on axle side wont come out, so Im having to cut them and drill through to 1/2".

Ill keep ya updated. When I get it done (assuming all goes to plan) Ill try and post a video of the disconnecting process.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #869
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just a suggestion, look into so spacers to keep the links from sliding around. They get noisy and clink and clank over everything.

Unread 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #870
JeepN4KC

The fabbed up discos look good but I have to say I'm feeling glad that's one less thing for me to have to mess with.

Very thorough work though dude - thumbs up!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.