VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #841
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Vegas, I'd be willing to accept your suggestion. But I'd also take that tire to get the balance checked. Watch the balancer and see if the rim is out of round.
Good thinking, Ill have to check that out to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This is something I need to get done - front and rear. Rotors, drums, everything.
Yea, I had a wheel cylinder give out and I took it as an opportunity to freshen everything up to 100 percent. My ebrake is INSANELY stout now, and overall braking performance is back the way it should be. A little maintenance is the best "mod" to do sometimes.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #842
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Let me chime in here for a second on the control arms......
I have ran several control arms over the years myself, and have installed countless others.
I have wheeled with virtually every arm, and end combination imaginable.... seeing first hand the weak and strong points of them all.
......if I had the funds to do it all over again?.... My choice would be Metalcloak, and here's why:
There's no better joint to buffer vibration from washboard surfaced trails, or harsh road conditions, etc.

Metalcloak's Duraflex Joints have very little wear factor. Meaning, you're not replacing joint guts every year or so.

There plain and simply is no other joint on the market that offers as much flex as the Duraflex Joints.

I found a great video of a comparison of the Duraflex Joint, Johnny Joints, and a typical OEM style Clevite Joint.
Anyone who is thinking of changing out their control arms, or is a huge fan of Johnny Joints, REALLY needs to see this video:

Oh and did I mention they accomplish all this without the need to constantly grease it as well?
The joints can be purchased as a stand alone rod-end builder part to add to your own control arms....

But honestly, the R&D they've put into their control arms makes it well worth it...
No other CA on the market compares to what Metalcloak offers.
Virtually every other CA manufacturer builds their arms misaligned.
Metalcloak arms are the closest you'll get to OEM CA alignment:

Look, I know this all sounds like a commercial and all, but lemme assure you, I'm no salesman, and I have no stake with Metalcloak....
I just like technology that WORKS, and what they're doing to revolutionize the way we think about control arm joints is the kind of stuff that makes our XJ's perform better than just about any other 4x4 out there.
I do my research folks, and in my opinion, there is no better joint out there, that is as reliable, and performs as well as the Duraflex joint.
My next arms or at least the joint ends WILL be Metalcloak.
Ok, hijack over....lol
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #843
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

No hijack at all! Matter of fact this fits in here perfectly. Been trying to not post much til I get things done, but Ive already begun gathering parts for a mini overhaul, and Ive spent the last two months doing nothing but research on the MC joints, from a number of setups. Im most interested in them over anything else, the JK crowd has had some time to have proven their longevity, several have over 2 years and thousands of miles on them no without issue. I also feel their design will be a lot easier on the relatively weak unibody mounts. Side bonus, they are priced very competively, their front uppers are the same price as Rusty's arms.

All that said, Im about to pull the trigger on a set. Looks like theres a 3-4 week wait for ship time on their site right now, but I will wait. I have no major wheeling event planned the rest of this season, so I want to come back next year wheeling on a greatly improved setup.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #844
No4x4Yet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those joint are pretty sweet!! I have a similiar design on my Mustang by J&M Products. They have rubber "cups" with a poly center ball and steel sleeve in the center. They flex quite well and keep road vibes at bay. J&M list on the site the torque require to flex the joint to varying degrees and its greatly reduced over standard poly bushing. I really love them and my stang is DD with Drag Radials and 500hp and they are holding up just fine.
No4x4Yet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #845
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4x4Yet View Post
Those joint are pretty sweet!! I have a similiar design on my Mustang by J&M Products. They have rubber "cups" with a poly center ball and steel sleeve in the center. They flex quite well and keep road vibes at bay. J&M list on the site the torque require to flex the joint to varying degrees and its greatly reduced over standard poly bushing. I really love them and my stang is DD with Drag Radials and 500hp and they are holding up just fine.
Yep, sound pretty similar.

As for me today, did a little experimenting on my odd tire wear issue.

Took tire in question to bud's shop to check balance. Checked out good, wheel is true, so double checked tire pressure, and swapped the rear tires to opposite sides. Then, put my old swaybar endlinks back on and hooked the swaybar up to rule out excessive weight transfer to the right rear. Ill continue keeping an eye on this to check for further irregular wear.

Probably going to go ahead and order 1/2" heims this week to start putting together quick disco's. Trying to hoard up some parts in general and tear it down and do it all at once, starting with front end re-do, then moving out back. Ill get more into it when I have something more tangible to go off of. Theres enough chatter on this forum as there is haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #846
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I know I'm late on this, but awesome job on the bumper! I'm hating my jcr right now after folding my quarters. Great build overall.
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #847
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
I know I'm late on this, but awesome job on the bumper! I'm hating my jcr right now after folding my quarters. Great build overall.
Thanks man! Ive been super happy with it, Im a little OCD about things that look out of place so I really tried to get it to blend in nicely. Plus, already put the side protection of it to good use this year. I still need to go back in and do some unibody tie-ins before I tug on it, but its been taking the hits great lol.

Wouldnt be too hard to mod that JCR to work. Id just slim it down on the sides so you dont kill all the clearance gained.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #848
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, got a tiny package in today, so Ill get on with it.

Boring, dull:

So I pulled out a ridiculous number of dash panels to get the cluster out.

Then traded out the incandescents for these wide angle LED's in Cool White (light blue color) from SuperBrightLED's. Super simple.

And ta-daaaaa.

Nice crisp gauges that keep the OE color scheme and look like something out of a newer model vehicle. Really pleased with the turnout, will be doing HVAC next.

Before/After:
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #849
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The leds give it a nice modern look, I've thought about doing this before, I just haven't prioritized it yet
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #850
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Well, got a tiny package in today, so Ill get on with it.

And ta-daaaaa.

Nice crisp gauges that keep the OE color scheme and look like something out of a newer model vehicle. Really pleased with the turnout, will be doing HVAC next.

Before/After:
It turned out good!
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #851
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
It turned out good!
Thanks man! You were part of my inspiration haha.

Quote:
The leds give it a nice modern look, I've thought about doing this before, I just haven't prioritized it yet
Yea, really freshened it up a bit. I honestly didnt intend to do this right now, but I was on superbrightleds.com checking prices, then said oh what the hell and ordered. Was $20 shipped, so I could handle that, cheaper than a half gal of rum.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #852
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

The LED'S look great!! That's going on the to-do list!!

Off Topic: Was $20 shipped, so I could handle that, cheaper than a half gal of rum." Not if you make your own!
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #853
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Edited: I looked on the website and it brought up 3 different ones for my jeep. Which is preferable, how many do I need?
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #854
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Edited: I looked on the website and it brought up 3 different ones for my jeep. Which is preferable, how many do I need?
With yours being pre 97 Im not sure if the bulbs would be the same, but I used 74-xHP3 led's. They are wide angle, gave perfectly even end result with no hot spots.

These:

You can see color choices there too.

Edit: 97+ calls for 5 of these.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #855
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

QUESTION......Do they dim?
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.