VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 10-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #826
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dang, lots going on in here. Where to begin lol.

First, I hit up local spots year round regardless of weather. By "end of season" Im referring to the local park down here, The Wishbone Ranch. They host several multiple day events throughout the year, and as of right now no future date has been set.

As for longarm thing, Ive considered the money difference, and there isnt much difference at all from the cost of good short arms to standard radius arm offerings in the long arm market for sure. But Im still going to put a touch more money into short arms for now for a few reasons. Number one being Ive already got a deal lined up on getting light used lowers for practically nothing, and even Currie JJ uppers are only around 200 bucks.

I mainly just want to push my wheelbase on up a bit more than anything, Ive been pretty happy with the setup overall. Its just more of how Ive got my build planned out, and keeping it in order. Trying to get everything setup for 35s so stiffeners, OTK steering, and other things are up a bit higher on the list. Figure I can probably have that done and get a good chunk of wheeling time in, and by the time Im ready to ditch shortarms, Ill have a good base with the stiffeners to build my own mid arm setup like 2doorxj's 3 link. Although there are some very dialed and impressive shortarm setups in here too (namely ClimbIt, and Tom95YJs setup looks like it works well) so who knows if i bother anytime soon, but if I do then Id rather have the improved geometry of a 3link setup. Theres some prefabbed brackets out there that would make it a fairly straightforward process, and I could sell the shortarms to fund most of the parts for that.

Thats down the road though. I just needa get off my ***, get stiffeners, get my rocker replacement done, and beat the **** out of it somewhere.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #827
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Dang, lots going on in here. Where to begin lol.

Thats down the road though. I just needa get off my ***, get stiffeners, get my rocker replacement done, and beat the **** out of it somewhere.
Haha, I need to get off my *** and do my brake lines. It was one of the first things I ordered when I was upgrading and have yet to put them on. Needs to be done soon though. Such an easy task but I can't bring myself to do it. Being away for college doesn't help either. No accessibility to tools until the weekends.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #828
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't checked this thread in a while. (Don't have a lot of time this morning so I scrolled through a few pages and checked out pics lol) I really need a rear bumper like yours! I've got rust behind the driver side rear bumper plastic end cap eating up the body panel. Doing a cut and fold and adding a bumper like yours is the only way I intend on fixing it. Did you buy or build it?
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #829
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stiffeners are next on my list.
I plan on doing them and more skid plating possibly a belly pan. And gas tank skid.

I <3 rockrash
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #830
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Haven't checked this thread in a while. (Don't have a lot of time this morning so I scrolled through a few pages and checked out pics lol) I really need a rear bumper like yours! I've got rust behind the driver side rear bumper plastic end cap eating up the body panel. Doing a cut and fold and adding a bumper like yours is the only way I intend on fixing it. Did you buy or build it?
I built the rear bumper. After trimming, the plastic endcap looked stupid, then removing them altogether was even worse. Then one wheeling trip this year I came down hard on the leaf, if I had been over a few inches I woulda crushed the lower quarters. Decided not to take the chance so built the bumper, and wrapped it around, cut and capped it to match the body.

Been really happy with it, got the look I was after, no more unfinished looking gaps, and its saved my taillights a time or two from sliding ino trees.

Pic against the tree was before I finished the bumper, had a wheeling trip before I had a chance to weld up taillight gap fillers.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #831
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I was looking back through the build to see how the rear bumper is attached. It's bolted into the factory 4 bolts per side, no?

I'd just offer a word of caution using that rear shackle for recovery until you add some extra tie-ins.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #832
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I was looking back through the build to see how the rear bumper is attached. It's bolted into the factory 4 bolts per side, no?

I'd just offer a word of caution using that rear shackle for recovery until you add some extra tie-ins.
The shackle is more of a placeholder right now than anything. I am still using the factory 4 holes per side, which is, well... very weak. It just made things easy to mock up, I have the intend of going back in and most likely whacking the whole thing apart and going through the rail. Aside from that Im also going to be beefing up the area around the receiver as well, via notched out angle iron on the bottom and gussets to spread the load of a pull out to a bigger area.

I keep putting this off, I swear it seems that the more work I do to this thing the more the to do list grows lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #833
JeepN4KC

Quote:
The shackle is more of a placeholder right now than anything. I am still using the factory 4 holes per side, which is, well... very weak. It just made things easy to mock up, I have the intend of going back in and most likely whacking the whole thing apart and going through the rail. Aside from that Im also going to be beefing up the area around the receiver as well, via notched out angle iron on the bottom and gussets to spread the load of a pull out to a bigger area.

I keep putting this off, I swear it seems that the more work I do to this thing the more the to do list grows lol.
Yeah, man, if/when I ever get around to building a rear bumper I thought I'd plan on tie-ing it into the back of unirail. I've seen bumpers that do this - actually run into the uni-channel. Figured that'd be stout as hell.

My wife just doesn't get the part about a Jeep never being done.........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #834
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Yeah, man, if/when I ever get around to building a rear bumper I thought I'd plan on tie-ing it into the back of unirail. I've seen bumpers that do this - actually run into the uni-channel. Figured that'd be stout as hell.

My wife just doesn't get the part about a Jeep never being done.........
Haha I feel ya. I just gotta spend a little bit at a time to keep things quiet on the homefront. Im about to the point where Ive just gotta go on a buying spree to get things how I want them. Sometimes I just really wish I didnt enjoy all this so much, because this has already claimed all kinds of spending money that I dont even have yet.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #835
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Noticed something a bit odd today. Ive got about 10k on my Dynapros now, with almost no noticeable treadwear at all. Ive been closely watching their indent that the center tread blocks have, and all have hardly worn down, if at all, except this one:

Thats the right rear tire, and of the two rows of tread blocks in the center, the indent in the outermost row is almost totally absent. Strange. Treadwear is perfectly even on the other 3 tires, and ALL tires are at the same psi (about 28 onroad). Ive considered wheeling may be partially to blame, lots of sharp rock ledges where Im at. I usually air down to 10psi and keep steady throttle to let the tires dig, and I am still open out back.

I didnt really notice this til recently though, and this is why Im posting this, to see if Im crazy. The XJ has gotten more than usual street duty lately. Along with that, all the aforementioned street duty has been with swaybar disconnected (homebrew quick disco setup coming soon, stay tuned on that). My mid length AAL is less than ideal, and causes my right rear to not only sit a little lower, but also makes the Jeep torque lean very noticeably under acceleration. Basically what Im getting at, could the weight transfer of a saggy leaf and torque lean be to blame here? Does that seem like a logical thought process?
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #836
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Odd that is just the center of the tire. Do your brakes or parking brakes drag at all? Pop off the drums and measure your brake shoes if you suspect that. I've had a couple vehicles that had sticking brake cables.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #837
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Odd that is just the center of the tire. Do your brakes or parking brakes drag at all? Pop off the drums and measure your brake shoes if you suspect that. I've had a couple vehicles that had sticking brake cables.
Wear is on outside edge, just extends over enough to wear the outtermost row of center tread. I dont suspect brakes, couple months (maybe more) ago I stripped them down to backing plates and replaced absolutely everything. Cylinders, shoes, springs, etc are all new.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #838
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Nice! That is something I try to do with all my toys, however I haven't done either Jeep yet.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #839
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Vegas, I'd be willing to accept your suggestion. But I'd also take that tire to get the balance checked. Watch the balancer and see if the rim is out of round.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #840
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Wear is on outside edge, just extends over enough to wear the outtermost row of center tread. I dont suspect brakes, couple months (maybe more) ago I stripped them down to backing plates and replaced absolutely everything. Cylinders, shoes, springs, etc are all new.
This is something I need to get done - front and rear. Rotors, drums, everything.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.