VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #736
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Haha yea, I think this stuff is the part of the hobby I enjoy most. Letting the trails show you a weakness, then rebuilding it better and getting to see the benefits of it on the next ride. Wheel, break, fix, repeat.

I really havent dug into it all yet but as of right now but I have a rough idea of the path Im going to take. First step is to beat the top of the rocker back down, pull the pinch seam straight then cut the sheet metal out. Weld in the 2x6 with 3 legs per side for bracing, each leg being mounted to a large piece of 3/16 plate that will be welded to the unibody rail. Hopefully I dont hit too many obstacles along the way.
Stiffeners - then rockers tied in.

Just sayin...................you want this to go the route of a dedicated trail rig. Make everything underneath as solid as possible.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #737
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Stiffeners - then rockers tied in.

Just sayin...................you want this to go the route of a dedicated trail rig. Make everything underneath as solid as possible.
Yea, I know, I really want to get on that but just havent had the time lately. I may just have to wait on bracing the 2x6 til I get stiffeners and maybe just skip a couple trips to WBR to give me time to get it all dialed. I would feel a lot better out on the trail after I seen how thin these rails really are.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #738
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
That bumper looks good!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
OK now just quit it!! I will not post pics of any of my welds!! I did pick up my Lincoln welder from the repair shop today! Actual cost was lower than the estimate!!! Estimate was 179.++, real cost was $178.52, what a relief!!

A rotary switch and 5 soldered joints. The switch was cheap, to look at it was $85, labor was $65 per hour. It appears rust/ corrosion from sitting close to the cement floor in my garage caused the problem. Saweeeeet! not
Lol if its not a Jeep taking your money its something related to it. Just Empty Every Pocket.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #739
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #740
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like wheeling is on for this weekend. Busy week, so no time to get on the rocker replacement done but things have been so hectic with work and other issues lately I need to get this thing out for some fun/stress relief.

In case I **** something else up though, heres a clean pic to remember the body by haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #741
JeepN4KC

Wheelin for stress relief - that's exactly what this past Saturday was for me.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #742
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Wheelin for stress relief - that's exactly what this past Saturday was for me.
Yep, not to go all deep or whatever but I find wheeling to be a huge release from all the day to day stresses. I dont have to be anyone but a guy out there climbing **** in his toy. Its just a great way to detach from everything, I cant help but feel the world would be a happier place if we all shared the same passion.

Although having a DD and being able to fix your own rig is a requirement for a truly stress free trip. No fun breaking your ride to work Monday at 11pm on Sunday haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #743
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Looks like wheeling is on for this weekend. Busy week, so no time to get on the rocker replacement done but things have been so hectic with work and other issues lately I need to get this thing out for some fun/stress relief.

In case I **** something else up though, heres a clean pic to remember the body by haha.
Makes me want to paint my XJ red, I do have some bright red left over from a BMW project, ..... Hmmmm
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #744
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good man. Have fun.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #745
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Makes me want to paint my XJ red, I do have some bright red left over from a BMW project, ..... Hmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Looks good man. Have fun.
Thanks guys!

Ive gotta swap out my pitman side TRE before I can go this weekend, its falling apart. Really wish I could have my rocker replacement done by then so I can get a little wild but itll have to wait unfortunately. Been hot and dry all week so there should be plenty of traction to avoid a mishap like I had last trip out when everything was covered in snot.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #746
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Boring, trivial update, but I got the TRE at the pitman arm swapped out. Old one was very loosy goosy.

While I had that out I shook around on the pitman arm itself and noted some chatter there, and I have fluid leaking around the seal there. Not bad enough to **** with now though, so I went ahead and put things back together.

Still got some popping/rattling type noise in certain situations, but better then before. Durango box upgrade in the future anyway so **** it.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #747
JeepN4KC

What is your steering set-up? Tie rod looks stout in that last pic.

I've been looking at Crown's heavy duty linkage - draglink, tie-rod, tre's. Can be had for under $150 shipped. It's not the strongest out there but def beefier than stock and would probably suit my needs just fine. Still trying to figure out if it's just a V8 ZJ linkage set up though.

Also been reading up on the Durango box swap and between here and NAXJA the #1 complaint is loss of turning radius.

Thoughts?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #748
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What is your steering set-up? Tie rod looks stout in that last pic.

I've been looking at Crown's heavy duty linkage - draglink, tie-rod, tre's. Can be had for under $150 shipped. It's not the strongest out there but def beefier than stock and would probably suit my needs just fine. Still trying to figure out if it's just a V8 ZJ linkage set up though.

Also been reading up on the Durango box swap and between here and NAXJA the #1 complaint is loss of turning radius.

Thoughts?

Im running IRO's solid HD tierod. I think thats about as good of an option as there is in steering without going to a 1 ton setup. Its tough as nails, Ive scraped it, hit it, landed on rocks with it, no trouble at all. I still hate the inverted Y setup in general but the IRO rod was cheap and beefy enough to buy me some wheeling time til I man up and go WJ swap, crossover, and OTA trackbar.

As for the Durango pump, Ive done pretty extensive research and regarding the turning radius issue, Ive discovered mixed results. I read some people that do not notice a decrease, and some that do. Seems theres a theory out there that there may be an unknown variable in the box depending on how lucky you are when you find one. There is a well documented fix if you do draw the short stick on box selection, but it does involve opening it up.

Personally, Im going to see how long I can get out of this box (maybe add a cooler), but when it goes Ill just pick up a Durango box and see where it puts me. I will need all the help I can get in the steering department once I go 35s, so if I have to modify the box to get more throw, Ill cross that bridge when I get there. Hopin I dont though.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #749
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go psc and never look back.
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #750
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Go psc and never look back.
Havent looked into that really, maybe I should, its just $$$$ though. Maybe by the time I need to address the issue Ill have the other things done I wanna get to. This **** really does never end.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.