VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 08-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #721
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Washed the mud off today to get a better look at the work Ive got ahead of me. Should be pretty straightforward, but will need some tweaking. Top of the rocker is tucked just behind the door.

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #722
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

YUP! Thats a good one alright!
Good thing is though....there's a TON of good write-ups on rocker replacement on the web.
I can tell you though, it's a pretty entailed process, and I hear there is usually some door trimming involved.
all depends on how you do it.
I wish you luck man..... the pay off is huge, but the task is pretty hard.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #723
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
YUP! Thats a good one alright!
Good thing is though....there's a TON of good write-ups on rocker replacement on the web.
I can tell you though, it's a pretty entailed process, and I hear there is usually some door trimming involved.
all depends on how you do it.
I wish you luck man..... the pay off is huge, but the task is pretty hard.
Haha yea, I think this stuff is the part of the hobby I enjoy most. Letting the trails show you a weakness, then rebuilding it better and getting to see the benefits of it on the next ride. Wheel, break, fix, repeat.

I really havent dug into it all yet but as of right now but I have a rough idea of the path Im going to take. First step is to beat the top of the rocker back down, pull the pinch seam straight then cut the sheet metal out. Weld in the 2x6 with 3 legs per side for bracing, each leg being mounted to a large piece of 3/16 plate that will be welded to the unibody rail. Hopefully I dont hit too many obstacles along the way.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #724
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
Washed the mud off today to get a better look at the work Ive got ahead of me. Should be pretty straightforward, but will need some tweaking. Top of the rocker is tucked just behind the door.
Weak bro, you still have a clean door. Lmao
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #725
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Weak bro, you still have a clean door. Lmao
Haha yea, i dunno how the **** the door survived. Guess its because I didnt really come down hard on the rocker vertically as much as the whole Jeep got tipped over into the rock.

I find that I continually give less and less ****s after every trip. Not sure if thats good or bad but Im having fun.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #726
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Haha 50 bucks? Its yours man, come take this ugly thing lol.
I will be there tomorrow LoL.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #727
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I also should mention that I owe the design crew at Dirtbound Offroad a generous thanks for making the bumper have rounded corners. In the same area that I received the nasty bruise on the rocker, I was under heavy throttle to pull up all the slick rock, and when I made the obstacle I was hurling my right front right into a tree. Coulda been a 2nd slap in the face (busted header panel woulda been no fun either) but I literally glided right off of it and got pointed back where I needed to be. Didnt even hurt the Duplicolor liner much either. Had I still been running the factory bumper or even an aftermarket without side protection I would have had even more work to do lol.

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #728
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Some how I feel guilty for asking about B&A pics. It's like the Sports Illustrated cover curse! Hahaa.

It's still a beautiful rig, but NOW it has character!

I bought my XJ with the pre-bent rocker panel at NO extra cost! I'm going to weld a plate with a bunch of 90 degree holes, and see what I can do with a cable winch, slide hammer, grinder and dolly's. I like the RuffStuff frame stiffener for a attaching point, then the rock sliders via 1" x 3" frame ties.

Both my ZJ and XJ need rocker repair. I am interested in seeing your idea's/ concept!

Pete
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #729
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Some how I feel guilty for asking about B&A pics. It's like the Sports Illustrated cover curse! Hahaa.

It's still a beautiful rig, but NOW it has character!

I bought my XJ with the pre-bent rocker panel at NO extra cost! I'm going to weld a plate with a bunch of 90 degree holes, and see what I can do with a cable winch, slide hammer, grinder and dolly's. I like the RuffStuff frame stiffener for a attaching point, then the rock sliders via 1" x 3" frame ties.

Both my ZJ and XJ need rocker repair. I am interested in seeing your idea's/ concept!

Pete
Haha it will likely get more character in time Im sure.

As for my process of doing the rocker replacement, I do not intend to follow anyones methods step by step. Theres a lot of ways to do it, and Ive researched most all of them in an effort to mainly see what kind of snags I may encounter. I feel Ive got a pretty good grasp on that, and plan to pretty much wing it to suit my needs.

Ive got it mostly mapped out but theres a couple things Im undecided on that I may have to consult some people on. For example, Im not sure if I want to extend the 2x6 to full length or stop behind the front fender and angle cut it to blend back in. Im also unsure how many bracing legs would be adequate. After starting to dig into it yesterday and begin pulling it back out I notices just how little room Ill have to work with, versus traditional bolt on sliders with horizontal bracing. It will all come together when I get going on it though.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #730
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Living in the wonderful rust belt state of PA, both of my Jeeps need rocker replacements. I think in both cases, welded frame re-enforcement, box tubing rockers tied to the "new" frame plates are a must. I have no intention of going rock climbing, but ya never no when the urge may strike! I will need to pull the drivers side rocker on the XJ to line things up, but then the cutting starts!! The ZJ is just rusty.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #731
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Living in the wonderful rust belt state of PA, both of my Jeeps need rocker replacements. I think in both cases, welded frame re-enforcement, box tubing rockers tied to the "new" frame plates are a must. I have no intention of going rock climbing, but ya never no when the urge may strike! I will need to pull the drivers side rocker on the XJ to line things up, but then the cutting starts!! The ZJ is just rusty.
Yea better to have rocker protection and not need it than the other way around. It was the next thing on my list to do but the rocks beat me to it.

Ive got some time to wrench today but still havent picked up the main tube for the rocker replacement. Since I have the parts to weld in the receiver tube to the back bumper I may go ahead and do that.

I did acquire some other steel Ill be incorporating into the rocker replacement process though, Ill post pics if I get any progress done there. Just getting the passenger pinch seam straightened up will be a job in itself Im afraid.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #732
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ohhh noezzz. Someone cut a hole in my bumperrrr.

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #733
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Made some progress anyway.

July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #734
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That bumper looks good!
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #735
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

OK now just quit it!! I will not post pics of any of my welds!! I did pick up my Lincoln welder from the repair shop today! Actual cost was lower than the estimate!!! Estimate was 179.++, real cost was $178.52, what a relief!!

A rotary switch and 5 soldered joints. The switch was cheap, to look at it was $85, labor was $65 per hour. It appears rust/ corrosion from sitting close to the cement floor in my garage caused the problem. Saweeeeet! not

==
'89 F150, 4" Rancho

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.