VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #706
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the turnout is good Ill try and get some pics of other rigs, theres some crazy stuff down there pretty regularly. This time last year they hosted a bounty hill climb with HolleyEFI and the CRAWL guys out there. Makes you feel kinda insignificant after you see something like this ramping up the trails wide ****in open.

That sign look familiar?

I was just coming down the bypass in that pic (you DONT wanna drive down the waterfall ledge). I dont have enough tire to get up the middle section of the ledge the buggy is taking without folding my **** in half haha. I have made it up about 10 feet to the left of that though.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #707
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Might do a couple lil tweaks but otherwise she's ready to air down and **** shizz up this weekend!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #708
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

You need to post a couple side by side pics. Compared to your first pics, that XJ looks BAD AZZ!!
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #709
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
You need to post a couple side by side pics. Compared to your first pics, that XJ looks BAD AZZ!!
Thanks man! And do you mean stock vs. now pics? Ive got plenty of angles when stock to match up with recent shots.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #710
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Thanks man! And do you mean stock vs. now pics? Ive got plenty of angles when stock to match up with recent shots.
Yes, stock to now comparison pics! You have transformed a very nice stock grocery getter/ soccer mom's car into a poster worthy trail ride!

I have enjoyed/ followed your build. It has inspired me to do some of the same upgrades and modifications.

My XJ will require some rocker panel rust repair, so I see some "rock sliders" in the future along with bumpers. The Lincoln Welder repair shop says my welder is ready to pick up, $180+ tax, ouch! Steel may have to wait a couple weeks. My alternator seized Thursday, so a JY trip is on tap.

But maybe in a year or so a trip to Rausch Creek Off Road Park will be in order! It's only 85 miles away!
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #711
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Yes, stock to now comparison pics! You have transformed a very nice stock grocery getter/ soccer mom's car into a poster worthy trail ride!

I have enjoyed/ followed your build. It has inspired me to do some of the same upgrades and modifications.

My XJ will require some rocker panel rust repair, so I see some "rock sliders" in the future along with bumpers. The Lincoln Welder repair shop says my welder is ready to pick up, $180+ tax, ouch! Steel may have to wait a couple weeks. My alternator seized Thursday, so a JY trip is on tap.

But maybe in a year or so a trip to Rausch Creek Off Road Park will be in order! It's only 85 miles away!
Thanks for the compliments man, glad to be of inspiration. I might try and see what I can dig up for comparo pics.

And RC looks like a really fun place to wheel, one of these days when I get a tow rig Id like to hit up RC and a few other places that are a good ways away from me. The spending never ends in this hobby lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #712
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Heres some quickie comparison shots. I made myself promise I wouldnt go cutting into it when I first bought it lol.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #713
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not technically build related, but I saw this stroller and HAD to get it for my little girl. I think you can figure out why lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #714
97cherosport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Not technically build related, but I saw this stroller and HAD to get it for my little girl. I think you can figure out why lol.
Got a diaper bag for my son for the same reason. His middle name also happens to literally be XJ
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #715
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wellllllllp. Today was kind of a bust, rain made the trails nothing but a slippery mess, all the rocks might as well have been covered in snot. I was on the trails for all of 20 minutes and did this:

With everything so slick I had to keep momentum going, popped up a ledge and front end slid over to the right, dropped me down hard on a monstrous rock. The pinch seam is folded flat against floor in that area. I did make it up though, so Im not real bummed haha. Will be doing 2x6 rocker replacement.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #716
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ This is why I just don't generally like mud. Sure it makes for a good lookin filthy Jeep - but you're more likely to break something, do some kind of damage, and clean up is a total PITA.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #717
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ This is why I just don't generally like mud. Sure it makes for a good lookin filthy Jeep - but you're more likely to break something, do some kind of damage, and clean up is a total PITA.
x2, I DESPISE mud. I was so upset when I seen how slick the trails were, I almost packed up and left. But I rode in my buddies super budget rig most of the day, and we had a blast. Paid like 300 bucks for it, chopped it, small cage, welded front and rear, it doesnt look like much and the methods are something that wouldnt exactly meet forum approval, but it is just a BLAST lol.

Its an 84 2.5 carbureted stick Jeep, floors are GONE, you can feel the unibody flex under your feet, running worn 31s. We call it the little Jeep that could, it somehow finds a way up the craziest ****. Mainly cause my buddy is a damn maniac that never gives up til he makes it. I lost count of how many trees we smacked today, one seperated the quarter from the rest of the Jeep.

After riding with him Ive been combing craigslist for a tow pig so I can take my build to the next level, but that will likely wait til spring when I build my garage. I still laugh at how when I started this build I was gonna make it a mall crawler.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #718
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just to show the versatility here, this is the Jeep moments after crushing the rocker in... at the mall... shopping before a 45 mile drive home at 50-75mph. Gotta love it when something works how you want it to.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #719
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Dude that rear bumper is so bad I'm willing to give you 50 bucks for it just to save you the embarrassment teehee. Let me know if the reverse psychology worked. I really want it. Good job on the COTM. I hope to get there one day.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #720
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
Dude that rear bumper is so bad I'm willing to give you 50 bucks for it just to save you the embarrassment teehee. Let me know if the reverse psychology worked. I really want it. Good job on the COTM. I hope to get there one day.
Haha 50 bucks? Its yours man, come take this ugly thing lol.

In other news, looks the build may be getting stepped up a notch in the coming months. Ive been very lucky to wheel as much and as hard as I do and not ger much body damage, but it hasnt been easy and theres been times its just flat out made things difficult. After talking with the wife and a good friend of mine on where this is heading, Ive made the decision to make this almost exclusively a trail rig by Spring of next year. I will still keep it licensed for hitting the local spots, but Im at the point where its almost impossible to keep this thing 100% straight. Along with that, there are some places Ive been wanting to wheel that are just too far to drive it.

With that said, I dont plan to bang it on every tree I find, I just want the pressure off. I want it to be an "oh well" type of thing if I do happen to get a dent or break something. I would just pick up a cheap beater to wheel but mechanically mine is already in great shape to wheel reliably so I see no sense in starting over with someone elses nightmare.

That transition will be a slow one, but I do plan to adjust my build accordingly to accomadate things to a little more aggressive wheeling. Theres a couple things Im just not happy with that I will be addressing through the next phase of the build.

Two weaknesses showed up on the last trip out, the first being the rocker getting beat up, and the second being scars on the gas tank. Ill be tackling 2x6 rocker replacement next, and after that the vulnerable tank. First looked at buying a skid, then considered just building one, but I want to take that a step further.

Ive made peace with the fact that Im never selling this thing, so its time things get a little more invasive. Stay tuned.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.