VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #676
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sick ride man! keep up the great work.

Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #677
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
sick ride man! keep up the great work.
Thanks man!!

Keepin it movin here, been a busy week at work so I havent done much, but I got some time today and painted my muffler/cat with black high heat Rustoleum. The old cat and bright shiny Thrush were an eyesore.

And this evening I caught a spurt of enthusiasm and started working on the tail light fillers. Since I wanted to incorporate some angularity here, I didnt get much done before I grew tired of measuring, cutting, grinding, blah blah. Terrible night pic, but heres the pass side mostly tacked in.

Will get better pics once Im farther along.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #678
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How that thrush sound? I ordered one last week.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #679
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmike0122 View Post
How that thrush sound? I ordered one last week.
I like it, but its not real loud if thats what youre after. Just has a nice tone to it, with the tailpipe it practically sounds like stock inside, which I like personally. I enjoy the sounds of the other noises Jeep vehicles produce, like POP, BANG, THUD.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #680
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Spent some time this afternoon finishing up the passenger side tail light gap filler for my bumper. At this point Im not real sure how many hours I have into this thing, but the whole process has been really enjoyable. This is my first bumper build ever, and its been really rewarding to have a design in my head and watching it come to life one drop of sweat at a time. Hopefully I have the garage built by spring, I literally built the bumper in my backyard, weather permitting. Not ideal but its the hand Im dealt for now.

Anyhoo, heres a pic of the completed pass side.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #681
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Love the custom fit! Nice work.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #682
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

give me one please.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #683
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Came out great man! good job!
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #684
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
give me one please.
Better make that two!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #685
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Love the custom fit! Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro55 View Post
Came out great man! good job!
Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
give me one please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
Better make that two!
Haha thanks guys, Ill have your bumpers in the mail tomorrow!

Lol I kid, my *** is wore out. If theres anything Ive learned from this project its why pre-built bumpers are so pricey lol. I got a nice deal on the steel, so Ive only got about 95 bucks tied up in this counting consumables, but my oh my the time its taken me haha.

Even aside from the physical labor part, just mocking things up and getting the look I was after was a big time killer, not to mention my primitive operation Ive got here haha. This was built with pretty nothing but a 110v SMAW, a 4.5" grinder and a square. A nice 14" chop saw woulda saved a ton of time and measuring, but it all worked out. Kinda fits the relatively low budget, shadetree mechanic build theme. Except my spot doesnt have a shade tree haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #686
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

I have followed this thread for a while. It got the "creative juices" flowing! I had received the front bumper mounts last week. Upon my return from a few days at the beach with kids & grandkids, my order from Competition 4X4 with a pair of weld through flush mount 2" receivers & 1" thick "D" ring weld through mounts were on the porch( front & back bumpers). Hopefully in a week or so I can stretch the budget for some steel tubing!

Your fill in job under the tail lights is superb. Again, another look to achieve!
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #687
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
I have followed this thread for a while. It got the "creative juices" flowing! I had received the front bumper mounts last week. Upon my return from a few days at the beach with kids & grandkids, my order from Competition 4X4 with a pair of weld through flush mount 2" receivers & 1" thick "D" ring weld through mounts were on the porch( front & back bumpers). Hopefully in a week or so I can stretch the budget for some steel tubing!

Your fill in job under the tail lights is superb. Again, another look to achieve!
Thanks man! Glad to serve as motivation. This whole job was kind of a one thing leading to another type deal. Hated the look of the stock bumper with no endcaps, then I knew I needed to fold my quarters up after nearly smashing them in, and I knew after I did that it was still going to look unfinished. Next thing I know Im waist deep into a bumper build!

Sounds like you got the right ideas going on for your rig, Ill be sure to check in as you progress.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #688
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Got started on drivers side of the rear bumper this afternoon in between rain showers. Had a bit of a rough day so it was nice to be able to do some cutting and melting some metal, nice stress reliever. Built cardboard templates of the pass side taillight filler pieces to ensure a symmetrical bumper.

Shot of my current work space. We've been at the new house for a year and 3 months, I will not go a full 2 years without a garage.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #689
teX-J
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Ooppzz, sorry mang.

In other news, didnt do any work today but put it to work instead. We bought our house last year. It isnt big but it (along with the rest of the subdivision) is only 7 years old, and the PO decided to never do any landscaping. We planted some shrubs and whatnot last summer, but that was about it. So today I loaded up 9 bags of pea gravel in the back and began. Then after that, thanks to Pinterest Im sure, the wife wanted creek rock to do the edging. I knew just the spot. Forgive the lack of technical info, but these pics show just how my XJ fits the lifestyle and that may be even better. Or maybe Im drunk.

PICZ *****ES

Couple pics of the pooches and the house in there. Nothing too crazy but dont hate, im in my mid 20's and they are all mine so Im happy haha.
Dude, your house is IDENTICAL to ours down here in south TX

edit... so, almost identical, our roof goes up and comes to a point above our door and stretches back... everything else... same
teX-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #690
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teX-J View Post
Dude, your house is IDENTICAL to ours down here in south TX

edit... so, almost identical, our roof goes up and comes to a point above our door and stretches back... everything else... same
Haha thats crazy man! I live in a small subdivision tucked back into the woods. Its handy cause Im not far from town but its out of city limits. Dropped a deer last fall 100yds from my back door. House itself is only 3 bedroom, but its just my wife, daughter and I so its more than enough. The lack of a garage has been the only buzzkill but we got a good buy on it and I have a great place to build one how I want it.

In Jeep news, Ive about got the drivers side gap filler finished up on the bumper. Ran some quick welds to burn the top plate in, some days my hand isnt as steady as I want it to be, but its far from bird **** anyway haha.

Hoping to get that finished up today, my daughters bday is tomorrow and the back porch slab is a booby trap of metal shavings.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.