VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody" - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > VegasGT's "Clifford The Big Red Unibody"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #661
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Needs moar rev limiter.

I <3 rockrash
Sometimes! Didnt need it then though.

__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #662
AKIQPilot
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Got the vid whipped together. Nice comparo of how much the front locker helps. Shows my buddies green 98 and I started from the same spot. Both 4.5" and 32" MT's, only major difference is open/open versus my locked 30.

As usual, vid doesnt do anything justice but as you can see from me and his GF walking around, its pretty difficult to even walk around on. The whole trail itself is pretty long, this area is at the very top. Its very soft, loose, mulchy ground (aka you sink when you walk on it) that leads up to a big rock ledge, with a second smaller ledge above that on pass side that kicks you hard left. You get kicked too hard left and let the left rear fall back down the ledge, you go on a very loud express trip to the bottom on your lid.

Ima give my bud some cred, even with open diffs, sometimes the best asset on the trail is a "dont give up attitude". Skinny pedal and determination goes a long way.

Very cool, and nice video comparing two basically identical rigs, one locked and one open. If this doesn't convince someone contemplating a front locker then nothing will.

Did everyone notice how much gentler Vegas was on his rig getting up that climb. Lots of people think Lockers are harder on parts and you're sure to break an axle shaft. While that might be true at times the reality is you can approach an obstacle with a lot more finesse and a much lighter throttle. You can drive with your head instead of your foot.

Nice work, your Jeep is awesome and your driving skills are coming along nicely too.
__________________
[CENTER][B][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/i-bought-my-first-jeep-week-its-xj-1392800/"]My '01 XJ 1 Ton Build Thread[/URL][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AKIQPilot"]My Youtube Channel[/URL][/CENTER]
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #663
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,461
Yep - I love my Aussie. Granted, mine is locked rear/open front so my XJ would hit that climb with different manners. My rear pushes the front so my approach sometimes has to be a bit different. One day I'll gear it better and lock the front - I'm convinced it will be unstopable.

Nice rig Vegas!
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #664
cactus_jack
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 628
Nice on the fab skills, brother. You've got one clean rig. Come out to eastern ky and get some mud on that thing!
__________________
CACTUS_JACK
98 XJ Sport Budget Build
cactus_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #665
PeteNnewburg
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburg, PA
Posts: 368
Hi Vegas, Awesome video and XJ! I have been reading & re-reading your thread. A very nice, purpose built Jeep!
While I am not looking to climb rocks, (or ruin it in mud), my XJ had some mods by the PO, along the same lines, sort of, LOL. IE, .. the "cut and fold rear quarters are all cut, no fold., long shackles in the rear, spacers in the front, no sway bars and 215 x 70 tires! A real gem. But no major rust, a 100,000 fewer miles than my ZJ and its a very Plain Jane 2 door.
I have picked up some great ideas from you, and just wanted to say "Thank You!"

Pete
__________________
1995 ZJ DD, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-zj-dd-1470403/
2000 Cherokee, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/plain-jane-00-xj-slower-build-1555543/
1998 Mustang GT
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #666
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Very cool, and nice video comparing two basically identical rigs, one locked and one open. If this doesn't convince someone contemplating a front locker then nothing will.

Did everyone notice how much gentler Vegas was on his rig getting up that climb. Lots of people think Lockers are harder on parts and you're sure to break an axle shaft. While that might be true at times the reality is you can approach an obstacle with a lot more finesse and a much lighter throttle. You can drive with your head instead of your foot.

Nice work, your Jeep is awesome and your driving skills are coming along nicely too.
Thanks a ton man!! And you bring up solid points. Probably the biggest perk of the locker is that it really lets me slow the pace down and find a good line. This obstacle is a good testament to that. On open diffs you really just have to stay on the gas, keep momentum and bump it hard. I dont know how well the video shows it but I am standing beside my buddies rig showing him the best line to run and it was a very violent thing to watch when he bumper the first ledge and the second threw him hard left. Look close enough and you cam see his right front tire way up in the air when it hit, and it all sounded painful.

The locker lets me maintain steady throttle and let the Jeep dig in and pull up, resulting in a much smoother more controlled climb. Absolutely best money Ive spent on my rig, and since its up front its almost invisible for DD use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Yep - I love my Aussie. Granted, mine is locked rear/open front so my XJ would hit that climb with different manners. My rear pushes the front so my approach sometimes has to be a bit different. One day I'll gear it better and lock the front - I'm convinced it will be unstopable.

Nice rig Vegas!
Thanks man! Once you get around to doing one up front I think you will really be amazed. Being short arm at my height Ive even noticed it being easier on front end components. The front end pulls up obstacles where before the rear would just try and push me straight into (and sometimes under) a rock face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
Nice on the fab skills, brother. You've got one clean rig. Come out to eastern ky and get some mud on that thing!
Thanks man! I wish the KY Jeepforum crew werent so spread out. I do plan to setup a trip to DTOR in Bedford sometime this year if possible. Thats about 2 hours northeast of me but I believe I trust my rig to make it there and in one piece. Guess I could trailer it but where's the sport in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
Hi Vegas, Awesome video and XJ! I have been reading & re-reading your thread. A very nice, purpose built Jeep!
While I am not looking to climb rocks, (or ruin it in mud), my XJ had some mods by the PO, along the same lines, sort of, LOL. IE, .. the "cut and fold rear quarters are all cut, no fold., long shackles in the rear, spacers in the front, no sway bars and 215 x 70 tires! A real gem. But no major rust, a 100,000 fewer miles than my ZJ and its a very Plain Jane 2 door.
I have picked up some great ideas from you, and just wanted to say "Thank You!"

Pete
Thanks for the kind words man! And good luck with the build, love me a 2 door XJ.
__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #667
MOBBiN
Senior Member
 
MOBBiN's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Posts: 969
Looks good! I dig the rear bumper
__________________
2001 Silverstone Metallic Classic/Limited XJ
April 2014 COTM
MOBBiN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #668
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
Looks good! I dig the rear bumper
Thanks man!!
__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #669
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,055
After a tie breaker poll and plenty of nailbiting, looks like Ive got the July COTM title. Purdy neat.

As for the build, moneys been tight lately as Im setting a bunch aside to start building a nice shop to work out of. Although when I get around to it I have all but burned it into my mind that I will be picking up MetalCloaks adj UCA's. Done a lot of research and really feel their Duroflex joints are a nice design that fit my build well. Just gotta set some coin aside for them.

For the sake of keepin pics going, raaawrrrrrr:
__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #670
PeteNnewburg
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburg, PA
Posts: 368
You have built a beautiful rig, not over the top, not in-capable. Just a very nice straight rig most people could build, but with an artistic touch that makes it yours!

Cheers!!
__________________
1995 ZJ DD, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-zj-dd-1470403/
2000 Cherokee, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/plain-jane-00-xj-slower-build-1555543/
1998 Mustang GT
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #671
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
After a tie breaker poll and plenty of nailbiting, looks like Ive got the July COTM title. Purdy neat.

As for the build, moneys been tight lately as Im setting a bunch aside to start building a nice shop to work out of. Although when I get around to it I have all but burned it into my mind that I will be picking up MetalCloaks adj UCA's. Done a lot of research and really feel their Duroflex joints are a nice design that fit my build well. Just gotta set some coin aside for them.

For the sake of keepin pics going, raaawrrrrrr:
That is a ****ing awesome picture.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #672
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,776
Congrats on the COTM. I'm glad I wasn't eligible, winning makes me feel bad, Ha. You've been a huge inspiration to motivate me to the next level. Jeep on bud!
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #673
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler
 
NW99XJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 1,288
So quick question man....
On the rear bumper's "side wings" under the cut-n-fold.....
Do you have, or are you planning on adding any latteral support to tie into the frame/unibody?
I would be worried about the possibility of those wings being susceptible to rocks, pushing them upwards into the body, (if you were to come down hard enough on them of course.)
Just wondering, if nothing else I would consider gusseting the inner corners....but some tie-in would be the ultimate solution....
Just my 2 cents. Looks great BTW! (I swear by that Duplicolor Bed Liner Stuff)
__________________
5" of lift, 33's. Armored, Lighted, Chipped, & Locked up Front. Soon to come: winch, gears, axle shafts, and more...
My Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/f...-build-970888/
Built Not Bought - Senior Member
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #674
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
You have built a beautiful rig, not over the top, not in-capable. Just a very nice straight rig most people could build, but with an artistic touch that makes it yours!

Cheers!!
Thanks man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
That is a ****ing awesome picture.
Thanks, turned out pretty mean. Dirtbound Offroad hit me up on instagram to see if they can use that picture on their webpage lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Congrats on the COTM. I'm glad I wasn't eligible, winning makes me feel bad, Ha. You've been a huge inspiration to motivate me to the next level. Jeep on bud!
Thanks for the kind words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW99XJ View Post
So quick question man....
On the rear bumper's "side wings" under the cut-n-fold.....
Do you have, or are you planning on adding any latteral support to tie into the frame/unibody?
I would be worried about the possibility of those wings being susceptible to rocks, pushing them upwards into the body, (if you were to come down hard enough on them of course.)
Just wondering, if nothing else I would consider gusseting the inner corners....but some tie-in would be the ultimate solution....
Just my 2 cents. Looks great BTW! (I swear by that Duplicolor Bed Liner Stuff)
Ive been considering doing something along those lines, just not sure how I wanna go about it. I will be welding in some plate to the inner corner to serve as a floor for my taillight gap fillers, which will brace that corner a bit from side impacts. Bumpers still not finished, just tried to get it mostly together before last trip. Glad I did too haha. Ill keep ya updated on further progress with it.
__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #675
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,055
Small update but I changed my exhaust up a tad. Previously I welded on a Thrush welded muffler and tucked it up a bit more than factory to keep it safe. Thats all working dandy but I previously had it dumped after the muffler, which I thought was ok at first. I like the tone, and Jeep is good and quiet going down the road but at first startup and taking off from a start it just had too much of an drone type noise for my liking. Needed a tailpipe but didnt want to run one all the way out for the sake of clearance issues.

Since I still had my factory piping, I stared at it a bit, made a couple cuts, mocked it into place and burned it in. Now I have a sorta funky rear/side exit but its out of the way and , most importantly, nice and quiet again.

__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.